• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insane home Water/meth injection...

welldigger

Hmm I was unaware that there were that many dangers using PVC for air. We use it for high pressure pumping applications and for well casing however this is with liquid and with air/liquid combination. We also use it for setting large submersible pumps that in conjunction with line pressure it must also support the weight of the pump and column of water in the pipe. This is usually sch. 80 pipe.

If he needs a pressure vessel for an air holding tank another idea would be have a machine shop/ friend with correct tools cut and thread the correct length of 4" galvanized sch. 40 pipe. That way he can use standard npt galvanized fittings available at any home depot/ Lowes, etc.

Heath_h49008

Considering the options, I might just stick with the Corney Keg... at least to start with. I'm just trying to think of a better low-cost pressure tank that can fit in either the pioneer rack location, or the gap behind the cab. Those two areas seem the best protected, yet accessible for filling and draining. 10 gallons of water is a goal as well.

Tomorrow is muffler and wiring day, with as much else as I have time for. I'll take measurements of both areas while I'm at it.

rronning84

I'm back. Dang Heath, withas long as I have been gone I would have expected you to have this wrapped up, tested and making money selling kits. Glad to see you are still plugging away at it though. Cant wait till its done so I can get started building one.

Heath_h49008

I have a better tank option.... More to come. It has larger volume and I think we can make it safe for drinking. It should give me 7 gallons and a bunch of options.

Loco_Hosa

Heath, I am still working to get my truck reliable again before starting on this project, but after seeing some of the Soda Kegs in person I wasnt stoked about trying to find a good spot to stash them. I am anxiously awaiting these updates.

I am still mostly interested in this because it will keep the inside of everything clean and amazing, but I have been learning a TON about how EGTs and boost behave from driving my 1996 Ram, the more I learn the more I want to build one of these in the Deuce!

Heath_h49008

Before you buy your keg, see if you can source a couple of "extra" M35A2 air tanks... plain janes, not the one for the split system. (iirc one of the split system tanks is an oddball for some reason, but I'll double check before saying for certain. )

Each air tank is a bit over 3gal, and can easily be plumbed for bottom drain, top fill, and end pressure. I'm looking for a cheap sealant for the tank inner wall. Those can be shoehorned into the pioneer rack/spare location, or right next to the air tanks with some fiddling.

Bigger than the 5gal Corney, and more correct for the truck and if you seal it right the water should be potable if you wish.

I'm low on truck cash myself. I've got a pile of parts and no time or money to buy more for a while. I'm knocking out the paint, the brakes, trans swap, then heater install, and the battery Equalizer, new seat covers.... ummm... then the EGT/water system? (That list is just the stuff I already have the parts for. )

Time for work,

Heath

Heath_h49008

I have my tanks. And brackets to mount them under the truck.

EGT install happening this week.

I'll source the parts as soon as I settle some other stuff I'm working on. I'll add my pics and build notes as I go.

All this info and never was finished?

You guys missed a key point in all this. Wire a switch in the line from the hobbs switch so you can turn it on and off when you want it.

Here's my plan and I do plan in doing this but it might not be till after the bob is done.

I'm going to use a 24v pump and solenoid valve controlled by a hobbs switch set to around 12 to 15 psi. The manual switch will let me control it so it won't run all the time. I plan on running a 10 gallon reservoir under the truck somewhere.

It's sounds like the other guy was using larger nozzles due to running lower line pressures.

Also I might have missed where it was said what turbos you guys where using but I have a D turbo now and run around 15 psi at about 1150° to 1200° but I am wrapping a 15 psi boost gauge back around to 0 so I'm assuming I'm running over 20 psi of boost in short spurts. I will know better when I put the 30 psi gauge in the truck.

Heath_h49008

No, psychobob IIRC did build the proof of concept and ran it.

I'm in Michigan, Projects only happen during the warm months in Heathworld. I need to line my tanks and install.

By the way, the whole point of this is to AVOID putting a pump on it. Pump kits are available off the shelf for around $500.

Pumps can be had for around $50 to $60 bucks and would be less of a headache in my eyes then a pressure vessel. Plus the other thing I see is possible cavitation using the tanks.

Heath_h49008

A $50 75psi electric pump that can handle water in the small volume we are describing? Please link it. I would love to find one. The closest I have found were cheap ($75-$125) plastic diaphragm pumps I wouldn't trust much past a water fountain.

Heath_h49008

Ssweet!!

If they are holding up for them, then I guess I'll give it a shot myself.

As for the hobbes switch... just trigger it with an EGT. More accurate and more frugal with the water.

I don't think I'm going to go that route.... I already have boost and pyro gauges from Hewitt industries and I don't want to buy any type of controller. I have this planned out pretty good I think. I'm going to go with a two stage setup using the flame heater ports in the intake elbow. Smaller nozzle will come on at lower boost and bigger nozzle are higher boost. Using one pump two valves and two hobbs switches. They will both be able to be manually overridden so I can run just the high or just the low or both. Also I'm not sure on a pump yet. I want to call shurflo on Monday and find out safe pressure ratings. If I can't get it to run 130 psi safely I will spend another $40 or so and get a purpose made water injection pump that can run 100 to 300 psi. Also one thing I have read on the sprayer pumps is the pressure switch can cause pump pulsating and that is bad and leads to short pump life. The injection pumps don't have a pressure switch but a adjustable internal bypass valve to adjust pressure output.

welldigger

The automatic pressure switch models work at 60psi. They shut off at 60 I believe. The bypass models also bypass at 60 psi. I don't know if you can adjust the bypass. The shurflo 8000-543-290 pump has no pressure switch or bypass. It runs up to 100 psi.

I don't know if any of these are suitable for this application. Just thought the information may help.

The on demand shurflo should run 100 psi safely that's what I'm reading. The bypass pumps won't work as they can't be adjusted. You could wire to another switch and have it kick off possibly at higher but I think they have a internal bypass valve that just recirculates once it reaches 60 psi

welldigger

Considering I have found dedicated water/meth injection pumps preset to 220psi for around $150.00 I just don't see it being worth it cobbling together extra bypass valves or pressure switches.

Then again I'm lazy and willing to spend a little more money. I know there are many guys who are cheap and/or enjoy the challenge of building something from scratch.

welldigger

I'm sure the alcoholinjectionsystems pump is just a relabeled shurflo or similar type pump. But considering it's $140.00 and the shurflo pumps are in that ballpark price I'd just get the pump i know will work. That's just my opinion.

What size nozzle are you planning on running? I was figuring I would use a fairly large one since the multi fuel has pretty big displacement. I was thinking of starting around 6 gph and seeing what that did.