• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a ROPS onto a m151a1

fallen

Can anyone advise if a rops kit will fit on a m151a1 or will it have to be modified. If it does have to be modified can anyone advise the process.

Also is there a market for take off, uncut, m151a2 suspension parts. thanks fred

L1A1

Fallen
Yes there is a market for uncut M151A2 suspension parts what their value is.....is another story. As for the ROPS, they can be installed on any of the standard G838 vehicles (don't think the front line ambulances had them nor the TOW carriers). Yes the jeep has to be modified (not the ROPS) if your planing on doing it by the manual (the correct way). If your not already a member, there is a great site dedicated to the M151 called www.g838.org Many of the members over there, are members over here as well.

I've never installed a ROPS kit on any of my mutts but did have an A2 that came with one (P/O removed it but it came with the truck) . Aside from having to drill a bunch of mounting bolt holes into your tub, you'll also have to notch the tool box lid (one of the center mounts is in the tool box itself). Inside the rear wheel wells you'll see a brace that goes diagonally from the top of the fender to the rear vertical wall of the tub. That has to be cut out as the rear mounts for the ROPS mount in the rear corners on the tub. You'll also have to move the light switch over about 6" and relocate the data plate to the passenger's side of the dash. I think the towing electrical socket also has to be moved but I can't remember right off hand. Anyway, good luck with your project.
Matt

poppop

I have heard that installing one on an A1 will make it roll even more likly because it will be more top heavy. Don't know if that is true or not.

L1A1

A "ROPS or not to ROPS" thread pops up from time to time over on the mutt forums (G838&G503) and it at times has gotten quite heated. I've seen ROPS installed on A1s but it was mostly A2s that received that MWO. ROPS wasn't introduced until the later 1980s well after the A2 came into service with it's improved trailing arm suspension. IMHO, I don't care for ROPS as I've felt it makes the vehicle particularly top heavy. Having owned three G838s, I know how they handle. Do not take a turn above 25 miles per hour as the vehicle can roll over.
Matt

L1A1

:ditto:

Hey cstaup! It's me, WC Matt from the g838. Did not know that you were also over here (knew Rickf was).
Matt

m816

I first drove an A1 in Germany back in 65.Down the Autobahn with the speedo pegged a "E" where it says "miles per hour" No ROPS, no canvas top. I was a young trooper back then and was all about speed. I admit that looking down at the broken white lines on the pavement looking like some kind of Moris code saying "Yer Stupid" to me and getting a little scared when getting passed by a tourist bus . I now have my own M151a2 w/rops and feel very safe and comfortable in it. It also don't seem as fast as the a1 but I haven't pushed it that far yet. Just my 2 Cents

L1A1

there's an image posted over on G838 (I think) that a member there took of his GPS while going down the interstate in an A2. w/o canvas & windshield folded, speed was 75 MPH. Had no idea that they could go that fast (can't say as I'd want to be in one traveling that fast).
Matt

nattieleather

I have seen ROPS installed in A1s mostly done by civilian owners. The only real modification is where the kit attaches in the rear of the vehicle. The area by the tail lights on the A2 is different than the A1 and that makes it neccesary to modify the A1 body to support the ROPS kit. The folks who have ROPS in A1s that I know have never had a problem with them...then again they don't drive their MUTTs wild and crazy either.

Personally I don't like the ROPS kit I think it takes away from the look of the vehicle. I wouldn't put one on.

fallen

rops

I am now the proud owner of 1 complete (at least I think it is complete) rops system. I like the low profile of the mutt and understand the higher center of gravity by adding the rops but i keep going back to the thought of rolling a mutt over and not having a rops. It seems to me that if the rops were in place you just hang on for the ride. I have been driving for 35 years and know how unpredictable life and traffic can be.

A bigger concern of mine is being ran off of the road by a drunk driver and hitting the 2-3 foot deep ditch that is along the right of way of most of the roads in my area. That is much more likely than my taking a turn too fast, or the teenage that is texting on the phone and crosses the center line.
I drove an M38a1 for years, until I wore it out, and put a roll bar on it just for that one reason. I am still planning to add the rops system but would like more feedback. Thanks for all of the input.

Now I think I have at least 2 complete rear suspension systems for the m151a2. Is it possible to change the a1 rear suspension to an a2. I just picked them up last night an have not had time to compair the two.

salt6

Now I think I have at least 2 complete rear suspension systems for the m151a2. Is it possible to change the a1 rear suspension to an a2. I just picked them up last night an have not had time to compair the two.

Short answer, No.

Long answer, anything can be done with enough money and time.

nattieleather

:ditto:

Actually the mounting positions of the A1 rear suspension and the A2 are different. The A1 being a A arm type suspension and the A2 being a trailing arm suspension.

Can you convert them? As said above with time and money..or time and mad welding skills yes it is possible. But why?

L1A1

I have heard of it being done but the souce who said that he either saw it done or did it himself was highly suspect. If your A1 is uncut, running and in good condition you could probably sell it & buy an A2 w/ ROPS installed.
Matt

fallen

I finally got the opportunity to look at the rear suspension system on an m151a2 and actually see how different they are. My next question would be has anyone had any luck trying to limit the travel on the lower control arm. My mutt has no collector value. I am trying to make it into as much of a daily driver as I can. I thought of possibly welding heavy duty chain to it to keep the lower control arm from moving too far. Has anyone had any luck with this.

txdodge43man

Fallen,
The USMC and seals put limit chains on there fast attack mutts but they were m151a2 I do not see a reason why it would not work the same way on a a1 mutt but I am not an expert and that is your decision to try the chains. If your Mutt as no collector value to it do what you want If I had a M151a1 that was going to be a daily driver and had the money to do it I would put an A2 rear suspension in. I have heard of it being done personally id be more worried about the straight steering shaft going throw my chest in a wreak more than rolling just my 2cents

L1A1

When I still had my first A2, I met an Army Vet who was stationed in Korea back in the early/mid 1970s. He was an officer in charge of the motor pool. He mentioned the "logging chain modification" done to the rear suspension of M151A1s to help curb over travel. So that was a mod that was actually carried out with A1s still in service after the A2s were introduced. Supposedly, it was a common mod done.

As for "no collector value" I assume that you mean that your truck was demilled & then rewelded? Even those have some value (my very first G838 was a demilled/rewelded A1) .

Matt

nattieleather

They were done in the military I've seen military photos of it, but I can't say if it was done in a testing environment like at APG or a field mod. I think the limit chain is a two edge sword. The limit of the A-arm will help with drivability on road, but could hinder off- road perfomance. You could always stick a solid axle in under it....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks