• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing a Winch.

AceHigh

My biggest problem came when I realized the bumper steps are now useless! I can't get my feet up there high enough.

Guess I will work on that today. :)

The bolts were all loose EXCEPT the bottom bumper plate. That was were the bolts got hung up, had to go in and loosen them too. I read the advice on loose bolts before I began. Without this site it would have been a very difficult job.

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh

The Tubes for the long bolts on mine where cut off before i got it. I plan on getting some pipe cut to lenth and welded in there in the future. Also does anyone have a picture of there grill re-assymbled in the winch config? Preferably with out the winch in, but as long as the grill is visable it will work.

6X6 ALL THE WAY

I took the winch off one truck all in one piece. used a mini backhoe and had the trucks next to each other. I took the radiator out. It was helpful to have a porta power to spread the rails open so the whole thing would slide in

Josh

terh clutch lever on my truck is pretty hard to move with out some forcer, both housings are dry, I was thinking of filling them up with ATF for a day or 2 to clean em out. Anyone think this is a bad idea.

Barrman

I have to second the "cover the radiator" with something suggestion. I poked a hole in my Gasser radiator putting the winch back on after I removed it to paint it. Cover the radiator!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Josh, using the ATF shouldn't cause a problem but drain it completely before refilling it.

Eric, the cornhead grease would be for the winch itself. Some good stuff and ideal for the winch annd deuce steering box as well. One of these days I'll install the winch on my rattlebed truck, only been 2+ years.

Acehigh, in reference to the steps, when you move them, use the outer bumper brace hole for one of the bolts and drill the other. It puts the step a few inches closer to the grill which most folks grab to climb up anyways. The fewer 1/2" holes one has to drill, the better.

Last edited:

AceHigh

Eric, the cornhead grease would be for the winch itself. Some good stuff and ideal for the winch annd deuce steering box as well. One of these days I'll install the winch on my rattlebed truck, only been 2+ years.

Acehigh, in reference to the steps, when you move them, use the outer bumper brace hole for one of the bolts and drill the other. It puts the step a few inches closer to the grill which most folks grab to climb up anyways. The fewer 1/2" holes one has to drill, the better.
Thanks! Will do.

The corn head grease is a great tip learned right here. A little too thick to penetrate worn out seals but great lubricating properties.

Attachments

DanMartin

Dude...I posted how to do this winch thing like 5 times, including the hardware and some gotchas on doing this...including things like shearpins, PTO studs, and lever mounting. Research is your friend. :)

I bet you had fun with those 12" long, 1/2" grade 8 bolts, huh? :) I had to custom-order them from a local bolt place. I think they were something like $20 each!

If you get stuck on anything, let me know...

Josh

Dude...I posted how to do this winch thing like 5 times, including the hardware and some gotchas on doing this...including things like shearpins, PTO studs, and lever mounting. Research is your friend. :)

I bet you had fun with those 12" long, 1/2" grade 8 bolts, huh? :) I had to custom-order them from a local bolt place. I think they were something like $20 each!

If you get stuck on anything, let me know...
Payed 9 bucks each at Parkrose Hardware. 15 bucks for the 5/8's

and a search for a winch install, I read about 15 threads, not one had the hardware break down, so I ended up using the -20P and taking the NSN numbers and figuring out size and quantity.

Also I was talking to some old timers, they said use Keroseen instead of ATF and one of them gave me 2 gallons of kero

Last edited:

Josh

update , I got bad the bad cable off, and unspooled, but i cant seem to get the clutch to kick over all the way.

Filled both cases up with Keroseen, Leaking from the clutch side under the spool, and where the drive shaft comes into the worm gear housing, leaking from there also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks