• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance and Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spoke with Gulfway...parades only, cannot haul anything; Hagerty mandates inside storage. Sub-useless all. Check edwith my StateFarm folks. They got a quote back from the underwriter in a couple of hours...$474.72/6 months...esentially $79/month...for a 100/300/100 commercial [>10k GVW] policy with no restrictions. Ouch. Will be checking with AllState later. AZ is an expensive place to insure anything...something about the profusion of older drivers and hungry lawyers. We're not in Kansas.....

bs

scootertrs

OK... got insurance, trying to get tag... WOW... Gov. Charleee in FL wants almost $1000.00 for tag... tag agency person says that once she puts in the model, it kicks her into commercial tractor and Wham Bam... Thank you Maam... that will be $1000.00 please. Any guys in FL do a recent transfer of an 818?

Cannot afford the tag fee. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Brentzilla

I called State Farm for my new truck I just bought yesterday. They couldnt seem to comprehend that it was now a 4 wheel vehical (bobtailed deuce) So Im pretty sure they are charging me for a Commercial 6x6. I explianed what they did and it was now a large pick up but I guess there isnt a drop down menu for that. They want $260/six months with multicar discount which is similar to some members, I just assumed that since it was bobbed it wouldnt need to be Comercial and would be cheaper than a 6x6.

USAA wanted $300/six months

I also have a couple tickets almost 3 years old and clean since then.

MasterChief

Your $ amount may not be too bad - depending where you live AND your driving record. I suggest you do not assume "commercial" is more expensive. It very well mat NOT be the case. I live in Maine and I was surprised to learn "commercial" saved me money!! Check with YOUR agent , but in my case , being insured "commercial" was a completely seperate issue from how I chose to regester the vehicle. My agent said they did not care how I registered it! Said that was between me and motor vehicles....So that said, I got regular plates - Not expensive commercial plates!Now please do your homework!! I am NOT giving legal advice. I am just saying what worked well for me!Good Luck!!

Rivrdog

I just went with Progressive, a USAA partner. I got FULL insurance because I got things to lose if sued. The maximum policy cost me $783/year, and it mates with my USAA Umbrella policy. Darlene Beeson, 1-877-776-2436 was the agent. No questions about use, I can do commercial work if I want to, no garaging limitations. Have to email them with driver names if you want someone else to drive it, but I can put up with that.

Rivrdog

MasterChief

To: Brentzilla and Rivrdog,

I am sure $$ differes with location. (also with driving record).

1) I think you should be happy to find insurance with no " limitations" . Period.

2) Rivrdog - I think I know what happened at you insurance agent....
Try to renegotiate based on vehicle weight (GVW). Don't get "hung-up" on negotiating modifications or number of wheels.

TRY to keep it as "inside their box" as possible. They are not able to deal with "Mods".

Think on their limited terms.

They think of GVW.

Hope this helps

reply with questions

Be glad you got insurance at all !!

Last edited:

flyxpl

hagarty requires garaging and will not allow a gun in a vehicle the insure even if it is one you are legally CCW'ing
I went state farm which is $37.15 every 6 months
No gun allowed in vehicle !!! I would hope no one this site would use this company .

KarlT

I hope you were completely honest with them.
in doing so , I hope you got the appropriate insurance.
I advise you: If there is "one little LIE" You will be sorry to discover you have ZERO coverage.

Glad you found something that work for you.

If you want info about how I did it , ask.
I will try to help.

I was turned down today by my insurance company that I've been with for many years. I would appreciate knowing how you did it. This is all new to me and am trying to make my first MV purchase from TedG.

Rivrdog

Reasonable Insurance

I went through every "Collector Vehicle" insurance carrier. Two offer service to MV collectors, Hagerty and JC Taylor. Both require complete garaging. Hagerty additionally prohibits any sort of firearm in their insured vehicles. Both of them made bids, JC Taylor's was $130, Hagerty's over $430. The firearm rule and the garaging rule were non-starters for me. This is not a Dusenberg-J Roadster, this is a military vehicle designed to live outdoors it's entire life.

Next I went to State Farm, and got some commercial insurance quotes. The lowest, in the Farm Hauling category, was $1,900, and the highest (general cartage) was almost $3,000. Those didn't fly.

I went to my personal insurance carrier, USAA, who had originally refused to insure the vehicle because of it's weight, and asked if they had subsidiary companies they could refer me to. They put me on with Progressive (the one with the airhead gal, Flo). Progressive wrote me a policy of excellent, all-risk comercial insurance for about $783, which is a very good price. I could have done better on that policy by leaving some risk coverages out, but I can afford that, so I bought the whole magilla. BTW, that policy WILL mate up with my USAA Umbrella policy to give me liability coverage into seven figures.

I recommend Progressive, with or without Flo wielding the "price gun"!

Dittos on the "don't lie to get coverage". Insurance coverage is all about covering a large bet (risk), and no one bets with a bookie who changes the odds after the bet is laid. That's why I went with a commercial policy.

As for license, I have three choices in Oregon, Historic Vehicle, personal vehicle or PUC (commercial truck plate). I might qualify for an SP (Special Purpose, a catch-all category that can be bent to cover about anything). I haven't gotten any of those fees, yet, since the MV will have a valid SD paper plate on it when it gets to me next week. PUC would be the most expensive, but that would also get me a Fuel Permit to buy diesel fuel with no State tax (but pay the tax with an annual mileage report). There's also an annual weight-mile tax due, and you substantiate that with your driver's logbook.

All this stuff is a Mark One Mod Zero Government PITA, but if it weren't for that gummint, who would build us these marvelous MVs?

KarlT

I went through every "Collector Vehicle" insurance carrier. Two offer service to MV collectors, Hagerty and JC Taylor. Both require complete garaging. Hagerty additionally prohibits any sort of firearm in their insured vehicles. Both of them made bids, JC Taylor's was $130, Hagerty's over $430. The firearm rule and the garaging rule were non-starters for me. This is not a Dusenberg-J Roadster, this is a military vehicle designed to live outdoors it's entire life.

Next I went to State Farm, and got some commercial insurance quotes. The lowest, in the Farm Hauling category, was $1,900, and the highest (general cartage) was almost $3,000. Those didn't fly.

I went to my personal insurance carrier, USAA, who had originally refused to insure the vehicle because of it's weight, and asked if they had subsidiary companies they could refer me to. They put me on with Progressive (the one with the airhead gal, Flo). Progressive wrote me a policy of excellent, all-risk comercial insurance for about $783, which is a very good price. I could have done better on that policy by leaving some risk coverages out, but I can afford that, so I bought the whole magilla. BTW, that policy WILL mate up with my USAA Umbrella policy to give me liability coverage into seven figures.

I recommend Progressive, with or without Flo wielding the "price gun"!

Dittos on the "don't lie to get coverage". Insurance coverage is all about covering a large bet (risk), and no one bets with a bookie who changes the odds after the bet is laid. That's why I went with a commercial policy.

As for license, I have three choices in Oregon, Historic Vehicle, personal vehicle or PUC (commercial truck plate). I might qualify for an SP (Special Purpose, a catch-all category that can be bent to cover about anything). I haven't gotten any of those fees, yet, since the MV will have a valid SD paper plate on it when it gets to me next week. PUC would be the most expensive, but that would also get me a Fuel Permit to buy diesel fuel with no State tax (but pay the tax with an annual mileage report). There's also an annual weight-mile tax due, and you substantiate that with your driver's logbook.

All this stuff is a Mark One Mod Zero Government PITA, but if it weren't for that gummint, who would build us these marvelous MVs?
I just called Progressive and was told NO for these types of vehicles. Did you call the national number or your local rep?

MasterChief

To: KarlT

Do not panic about insurance. As a new person to this hobby - I realize insuring can seem overwhelming and kind of "scary".

Keep calm. It CAN be done.

I live in Maine and the company I insure with for home and auto backed out on me at the last minute on my 1st M.V. Boy was I thrown for a loop.

I did lots of research . The "collector car" big 3 are a JOKE! Locked garage, only to a show or parade, only 1 driver, limited miles, no comprehensive....
the bummer list goes on and on. Forget them.

I had great luck with State Farm. $340/year for complete comprehensive - the works!
No limitations.
This differs w location, driving record , many many variables....

BUT the trick is this:

You must be willing to put in some personal effort.
You need to establish a "report" - a working relationship with a LOCAL agent.
An agent who is willing to "think outside the box".

I suggest you do not stress the "MV" factor . Do not mention "commercial".

Get a picture of your MV, a real actual weight, and the original manufacturer and serial number (this is your "VIN").

Then have a "sit down" ( with an appointment) with your insurance agent.

Remember - these are creatures of habit. When you talk of "Military" anything they get nervous. Do NOT make them nervous! That is shootiong yourself in the foot!

For instance : My 1968 M-35A2 Bobbed, is insured as a " 1968 Jeep" "pick up truck" configuration on the chart they ask you to circle the vehicle closest to yours. They do have an actual photo and weight slip in my file so no games can be played when I need them.

Another STRONG suggestion - never lie, "fib", bend the truth, or misrepresent. You MUST be totally honest or when you need coverage you will find yourself out of luck.

Contact me if I can help further...
Best of luck!

Brentzilla

I went threw a panic stage as well with insurance. I ended up going with State Farm for my bobbed Deuce who had to put it on a commercial policy (b/c its over 10k lbs), couldnt find a 1970 AM General so they instead did a 1970 Kaiser. The commercial vs regular policy didnt have any special stipulations, and it doesnt mean you have to do commercial with the DMV, they are separate.

MasterChief

I completely agree.
You bring up a good point I neglected.
"Commercial" or not with the insurance company has NOTHING to do with your business at the "dept. of motor vehicles"!!
I suggest you ask your insurance agent the direct question. But In Maine , they are seperate issues.

Rivrdog

I just called Progressive and was told NO for these types of vehicles. Did you call the national number or your local rep?
No, I dealt with Progressive through the USAA office. They made the actual insurance connections.

My USAA/Progressive agent is Darlene Beeson, at 1-800-776-4737

Progressive likes do deal through agents or their own offices. My suggestion would be to walk into one of their offices. You could also go online to: Auto Insurance: Car Insurance & Motorcycle Insurance - Progressive and start there.

Progressive is closed at night except to policyholders, so to shop their products, you will have to do it during business hours.

Rivrdog

scootertrs

Guys... just an observation... the name... Progressive Insurance... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy ... I think think of Bolcheviks and the Proletariat... maybe it has to do with the ownership or control partially by George Soros? maybe why no firearm allowed in vehicle?... I need to do some research...

I am afraid that next, they will want you to "insure" your weapon collection through them. Probably make it so cheap you could not say no. Maybe they will offer localized "safe-houses" for storage -:)

Last edited:

engineertex

One suggestion that I have not seen is to register your truck as a "recreational vehicle" through your state motor vehicle registration department. It may not work with a "cargo truck" per se, but a pickup truck with a camper top can be licensed as an RV and perhaps the same can be done if you have the canvas top over the back of a deuce.

Just a thought. Though it may not work in some (any?) states.

Kohburn

I called the main national number - but I have been with progressive for 6 years.

Mine is also listed as a Jeep M35A2 - they may not have a listing for kaiser or AM general. don't know.

lady on the phone never hesitated or asked "what is that" just punched it all in and gave me the coverage I wanted with no restrictions.

XanRa

I am 16 and am going to buy a 2.5 Ton Duece on Craigslist I am going to go look at it on monday and if I purchase it does anybody think I would be able to insure for a resonable price or am I going to have to use American Collector Car Insurance and Pay 317.00 A Year. Can anybody out there give advice on my delema.
almost the same here, but close enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks