• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance and Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brentzilla

No, I dealt with Progressive through the USAA office. They made the actual insurance connections.

My USAA/Progressive agent is Darlene Beeson, at 1-800-776-4737

Progressive likes do deal through agents or their own offices. My suggestion would be to walk into one of their offices. You could also go online to: Auto Insurance: Car Insurance & Motorcycle Insurance - Progressive and start there.

Progressive is closed at night except to policyholders, so to shop their products, you will have to do it during business hours.

Rivrdog
Thats what I dont get, I called both Progressive and USAA and both quoted me for my Bobbed one, I guess there is really that much difference in catagories

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently going through the same thing on my 814. It seems that nobody wants to touch it, but yet I know of others in SC that have vehicles insured with the same company. What Gives?

TedG

To: KarlT

Do not panic about insurance. As a new person to this hobby - I realize insuring can seem overwhelming and kind of "scary".

Keep calm. It CAN be done.

I live in Maine and the company I insure with for home and auto backed out on me at the last minute on my 1st M.V. Boy was I thrown for a loop.

I did lots of research . The "collector car" big 3 are a JOKE! Locked garage, only to a show or parade, only 1 driver, limited miles, no comprehensive....
the bummer list goes on and on. Forget them.

I had great luck with State Farm. $340/year for complete comprehensive - the works!
No limitations.
This differs w location, driving record , many many variables....

BUT the trick is this:

You must be willing to put in some personal effort.
You need to establish a "report" - a working relationship with a LOCAL agent.
An agent who is willing to "think outside the box".

I suggest you do not stress the "MV" factor . Do not mention "commercial".

Get a picture of your MV, a real actual weight, and the original manufacturer and serial number (this is your "VIN").

Then have a "sit down" ( with an appointment) with your insurance agent.

Remember - these are creatures of habit. When you talk of "Military" anything they get nervous. Do NOT make them nervous! That is shootiong yourself in the foot!

For instance : My 1968 M-35A2 Bobbed, is insured as a " 1968 Jeep" "pick up truck" configuration on the chart they ask you to circle the vehicle closest to yours. They do have an actual photo and weight slip in my file so no games can be played when I need them.

Another STRONG suggestion - never lie, "fib", bend the truth, or misrepresent. You MUST be totally honest or when you need coverage you will find yourself out of luck.

Contact me if I can help further...
Best of luck!

I could not agree more. Seems KarlT has given up and I relisted the truck.

I called the main national number - but I have been with progressive for 6 years.

Mine is also listed as a Jeep M35A2 - they may not have a listing for kaiser or AM general. don't know.

lady on the phone never hesitated or asked "what is that" just punched it all in and gave me the coverage I wanted with no restrictions.
I got a quote from Progressive and it looked real good, but having read this thread before getting the quote, I gave Progressive a call. They transferred me over to their commercial division when I told the guy on the phone that this is a 3 axle truck.

The lady they put me in touch with said Progressive does not insure military vehicles, and that was that. She did give me the names of a couple of specialty insurers to call here in Louisiana, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I have a quote from my State Farm agent who has all my other insurance, and they want nearly $500 for a 6 month policy, with minimum liability (25/50/25).

Also got a quote from Gulfway, they are pretty cheap, but after reading about them, I don't think I will have coverage for what I need.

I need to get in touch with other insurers.

LC

Spruce Deuce

Just wanted to say love the site and the people who contribute to it. It has been a constant resource for me as a (hopeful) up and coming MV owner.

I'm planning on buying my M35A2 in the Spring. I've been shopping for insurance for almost two weeks. Nearly every single place I tried, through brokers and direct, had one reason or another to deny or charge me a $1,200 - $1,500 annual premium (collector's insurance aside).

Geico wanted me on a commercial policy with a CDL and 1 year minimum experience because according to the representative, having 3 axles makes the truck capable of hauling 26,000 lbs or more.

As stated in earlier posts by some, Progressive would not in any way shape or form touch it because it was military (not that I advertised). I asked how others may have managed to get coverage and was told of a number of scenarios, including being long-time customers or being “force placed”, I think she said. I guess if you can't insure your vehicle, you can talk to DOT and they will basically assign you to an insurance company as an exception to policy???

State Farm barely even talked to me since I did not have any of my other insurance (vehicle, homeowners, etc) through them. In fact, they acted somewhat suspicious and resentful that I needed a single commercial policy (as they deemed necessary) and did not have years and years of State Farm coverage in my history to back me up. I even asked if I could get a quote if I moved my other insurance to them... no cigar.

I talked to most of the major insurance companies one way or another... so many in fact the details of what I was told from company to company has blurred together outside of the 3 listed above. Heard some more good one's too I can't recall.

However, a beacon of white light finally emerged in the midst of my despair. Having all but resigned myself to the crude and unfulfilling existence of an MV owner forced to accept “parade insurance”, the last number I dialed was to Shelter Insurance. I was told, I had to contact a local representative to write non-emergency policies. I dialed the number given, gave my personal information, gave the information asked for about the truck, including VIN/Serial from a 1968, courtesy of the good folks at Boyce Equipment. Within 3 minutes, if that long, the representative came back on the line and said they were writing it as a classic limited use (part time) vehicle, which is perfect for me. No hauling restrictions, no garage, no problem. Annual cost is $120, full comprehensive. I asked her if she was sure about that and gave her a few of the horror stories I had from shopping other carriers. She responded, “Really? Let me double check that...”. 30 seconds later, she was back on the line, “Yep, the quote's correct! We'll just need pictures”. I feel like I should send her flowers or something...

Anyway sorry for the long post. I thought you might enjoy the (apparent) success story. When I actually get the truck, I may be printing a retraction, but for now, it looks Shelter is going cover me (pun intended).

Oh, and to anyone who has “Parade Insurance” by choice or not, I mean no insult to you or anyone else. I personally found most of the restrictions they impose very difficult or impossible to satisfy.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, I've been with my insurance company for 30+years, so that makes a difference. Second, they probably think I'm a little looney, but harmless, and I have a pretty good driving record. I insured , all 4 of my trucks. The M35A2s are commercial and I pay $18 per month as "Farm Trucks". I have every intention of using them for that purpose. I was also up front and told them they'd be in the occasional parade. They had no problem. Can't remember all the details about coverage, but the person that said build a raport was correct. If they trust the insuree, the feel the risk is justified. I heard it said somewhere that insurance is managing risk. if they think your low risk and won't need their services to repair damages, they'll cover you. If you fit a profile (yes, insurance agencies, IMO, profile), you could be high risk and they'll either rake you over the coals or just deny you. nothing personal to them, it's just business.

Doesn't help when you want that truck NOW, but understanding the why may help you develope a plan for down the road.

My first car was bought before I had a D/L. Dad parked it at the house and there it sat for almost a year while I worked on the details I needed to insure it. It was expensive for an 18year old, but I got what i wanted.

I hope in some way this helps.

Just wanted to say love the site and the people who contribute to it. It has been a constant resource for me as a (hopeful) up and coming MV owner.

I'm planning on buying my M35A2 in the Spring. I've been shopping for insurance for almost two weeks. Nearly every single place I tried, through brokers and direct, had one reason or another to deny or charge me a $1,200 - $1,500 annual premium (collector's insurance aside).
Oh, and to anyone who has “Parade Insurance” by choice or not, I mean no insult to you or anyone else. I personally found most of the restrictions they impose very difficult or impossible to satisfy.
Thanks, Spruce Deuce. As you can see, I have been having a fair amount of trouble getting what I need. Went online with Shelter this evening, I hope to have an agent call me tomorrow.

Need to get this truck rolling!

LC

Last edited:

Spruce Deuce

Thanks, Spruce Deuce. As you can see, I have been having a fair amount of trouble getting what I need. Went online with Shelter this evening, I hope to have an agent call me tomorrow.

Need to get this truck rolling!

LC
No problem. I really hope it pans out for both of us and doesn't turn out to be a wild goose chase. I'm not sure which is worse... having the truck and not being able to drive it, or being able to drive a truck and not having a truck to drive.:grin:

I've found when it comes to getting the deuce insured, it's best to not only shop around companies, but ALSO other agents within companies. After my nationwide agent quoted me ( thru progressive commercial) at almost 4k annual, I called up state farm, first agent said they will not insure it. Waited a few days, and while talking with a friend about it he told me to try his state farm agent, said they wererather reasonable, so I give them a call, lo and behold $89 a month for min coverage, no mileage restrictions, and it turns out the deuce WAS in the state farm system. Just need to find who will pull string to actually get u as a customer, all they had to do for me was check that they could do a "commercial for personal use" policy, which took about 2 days to check.

No I know that price sounds kinda crappy, but considering I have a ticket and accident on my record, 19 years old, and that my current agent charges me about $110 a month to be a PART TIME driver on my causes Bronco, I was very happy with the price

Hope everyone still looking or soon to be looking has luck, remember, shop different agents within companies, u may be surprised

maxxplanck

Im having trouble here also, went to State Farm 3 weeks ago they told me $11 a month so I paid for 6 months up front.. Then I get a bill for another $241 ( total of $308 for 6 months ) When I went down there they had me under historic plates, but on the new bill it said commercial plates. So I called them up they said no way on the historic plates and that it would have to be under commercial plates. I told them refund my money and Ill go try someone elese........ Shelter Insurance said no insurance for Michigan residents, just called an old friend at Allstate lets hope for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks