• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance situation is crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunner0311

State Farm

I currently have the 5-Ton insured thru State Farm. They insist it must be considered a Commercial Vehicle and basic coverage(PL & PD) is $387/six months.

I ran a "price quote" on the CHUBB Insurance website today, and it figured out to be
$248/year of basic coverage with no restrictions. But when I called a local agent
for CHUBB I could actually hear her gasp over the phone when I told here I have
a 5-Ton ex-military 6x6, and she said she would have to investigate further and call
be back. She has yet to call me....:???:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had State Farm for my M35A2s ($35/mo) but they discontinued it when it came time to renew. From my understanding they don't find the agreement "favorable" aka they arn't making enough for the risk involved. I'm not pleased with them.

nightrain cowboy

insurance

Ive got my m35a2 registered as a antique military vehicle with state farm and it has the usual 5000 miles a year restriction, for parade or weekend use only kinda thing and it is $6 a month. my m35 is an 82. but im in texas, they may be more realistic down here, i dont know.

romanservices

After buying my M923 I thought Insurance would be the easy part. I use Progressive, and it turns out that a year ago they quit covering Military vehicles so they would not cover mine. I was also turned down by Allstate, Geico quoted me $3,200 a year I looked at JC Taylor, Hagerty and Gulfway.. they were out of the question due to the restrictions. I was getting worried! Finally I called Nationwide (Call a local agent) Long story short... I ended up switching my auto and home owners insurance over and getting full coverage on the M923 for about 15.00 a month more than I was paying with Progressive. Only restriction I have on the M923 is that it can not be used as a daily driver(who would?), other than that I can haul, drive and store the vehicle any way I want.

me = happy

Gunner0311

Insurance

I will contact NATIONWIDE on Monday!

I tired a few more "clasic car" insurance companies today, and all had way too many restrictions-including demanding that I garage the vehicle when not in use! Building a garage big enough for my truck would cost $40K:p

martinwcox

I am in MA and use Encompass, just registered my M936 as Antique, I do use my insurance agent rather than try online or blind calling, it's at times like this that dealing with a person in the business pays off.

plowboy

M915A1 is insured just like all of our other trucks. Somewhere around $180 twice a year for liability. Don't understand why anyone would even consider full coverage on a truck that is not worth any more then these are.

littlebob

It's a state by state deal with the national carriers. I called my State Farm agent when I first got my M35. They would only insure it as commercial for about $650 a year. I see threads like this all the time and hear of people insuring them with State Farm for less in other states.

tk748462

Insurance

I own an M35A2, I have insurance through State Farm (PL-PD). I pay a hundred dollars a month. No restrictions. Have Log farm plate on the truck ( saved me money vs regular plates). I have hauled loads with it, even had a insurance agent come out to my house to take a picture of it because they said they were not sure what it really was. I drive my truck almost everyday to work, the store, etc. I think Im lucky on that. Even if you do have certain restrictions, what is to say they will actually find out, especially if they are not local. Just sayin.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have 2 M923's The state licensed the trucks as pick ups and put historical plates on them both. I payed $350. per year for the first truck and $270. for the second no restrictions. I got my insurance through gulfway. The plates even cost only $30. for 10 years.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if you do have certain restrictions, what is to say they will actually find out, especially if they are not local. Just sayin.
Good advice, have an accident while doing something that isn't allowed in your policy and see how well that works for you, local or not.

Just sayin

derby

I have Liberty Mutual no issues. I don't come out and say"EX Mil truck" I tell them the truth, It is an old Kaiser Dump Truck.

commandojeff

Hagerty collector car insurance. Got my 5 ton, along with two jeeps, and a WC-51 for 530 a year. They are great to work with so far and have been good to me. The jeeps and WC are my dads MV's. We told them our situation and that I'm 20 years old. They were more than helpful and seemed to understand what we had. Might want to look into them.

1StumpJumper

I went with USAA under a Progressive Commercial policy listed my M934A1 as a farm vehicle. If you qualify for USAA the Commercial group knew exactly how to do it. I tried my local Progressive agent first that I have been with for 5 years, and they got me no where.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI ya'll good thing your not in CA all I can say here is GOOD LUCK.:-xTo even use an MV at all here on road,other than historical use , like 923's m35's etc u would haft to add seat belts( CIV type,also temperd side glass like your car. The insurence here? well things like the 915's would be easy since they are a civ trk anyway,just reg n insur under there civ name ie am gen .

Gunner0311

Condon Kelly

auaCondon Kelly Insurance advertises they insure ex-military and fire trucks. My
online quote seemed reasonable and I txed them.

When I said "Five Ton" I could hear the agent gasp! She said they no longer
insure "Large Trucks". When I asked why they wou9ld not insure me she said "the company no longer deems that large trucks like your are collectable".

The agent was empathetic, and steered me towards GULFWAY in Florida....

When I last checked with GULFWAY they said I could not use my truck for any
activity other than parades, car shows etc. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks