• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insurance situation is crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinwcox

[/QUOTE] When I last checked with GULFWAY they said I could not use my truck for any
activity other than parades, car shows etc. ??[/QUOTE]

Yep, collector insurance and I believe the truck needs to be garaged, my Hummer won't fit in the garage (well it will just but whats the fun of that) let alone the Deuce or a 5 Ton!

derby

Any reason you keep telling them it is EX- Mil? It is a truck like any other old truck. I think the EX- Mil scares folks.

Gunner0311

I took the above advice and did the online quote from GEICO. I played stupid, and
yeah I know that was not much of a leap!

I plugged in my Chevy Tahoe, the wife's Mercury Van and my 5-ton as a "1968 Jeep
Pickup Truck". It does have a cargo box and tailgate exactly like a normal pickup, just larger...

I marked the Tahoe as my daily driver, the van as pleasure and the "1968 Jeep"
as pleasure with the minimum number of miles driven per year(0-3000).

Everything seemed to go through just fine, and the quote was $85 less for six
months coverage on my 5-ton than with State Farm. And no restrictions....:D
I will probably "drop" my current insurance plans and go with Geico next month.

Just don't tell anybody, as I would not want this "slight of hand" to be exposed to
the general public.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took the above advice and did the online quote from GEICO. I played stupid, and
yeah I know that was not much of a leap!

I plugged in my Chevy Tahoe, the wife's Mercury Van and my 5-ton as a "1968 Jeep
Pickup Truck". It does have a cargo box and tailgate exactly like a normal pickup, just larger...

I marked the Tahoe as my daily driver, the van as pleasure and the "1968 Jeep"
as pleasure with the minimum number of miles driven per year(0-3000).

Everything seemed to go through just fine, and the quote was $85 less for six
months coverage on my 5-ton than with State Farm. And no restrictions....:D
I will probably "drop" my current insurance plans and go with Geico next month.

Just don't tell anybody, as I would not want this "slight of hand" to be exposed to
the general public.
Okay, but what happens if you get into an accident? When I had my 923 insured through progressive, they dropped us without notifying me when they found out it was a military vehicle.

martinwcox

:ditto:

Thats why I use an agent who knows exactly what I have, his seen pictures of all my trucks and we are in full disclosure.

I am sure if the GEICO application asked for GVWR you would be toast!

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Thats why I use an agent who knows exactly what I have, his seen pictures of all my trucks and we are in full disclosure.

I am sure if the GEICO application asked for GVWR you would be toast!

:ditto:Our local state farm agent came out and took the pictures himself. So they know exactly what I have.

Benaj

I did the geico quote and used 1971 am general m35 and it went through.
They called and told me they can't insure it since its over 10,000 lbs

steelandcanvas

Just don't tell anybody, as I would not want this "slight of hand" to be exposed to the general public.
Just wait until you get in an accident (hopefully not) and they deny your claim because you weren't honest with them....it's called insurance fraud, you misrepresented what they were insuring.:doh: Now you're hung out to dry for the whole amount of all vehicles involved.

Gunner0311

Disclosure

Disclosure "should be" an hosest answer to their questions.

They ask for "make, model and style" and I answered their questions.
If they are concerned about gross vehicle weight, then they should ask for it.

Dropping people after they have an accident is what the state insurance regulators
need to be investigating. Some of these companies want your premium, but do
not want any claims. I realize they are in business to make a profit, but they need
to charge an honest premium also.

I currently have State Farm, and sorry-they are ripping me off. I figure this past
six months I paid them over fifty cents per mile driven in my 5-ton. That is highway
robbery on their part.

And those "collector insurance companies" insist I park my truck inside a locked
garage to insure me, when I do not even want "Comprehensive" coverage, so why do they care?? Again-this situation remains crazy!:-x

commandojeff

Make: Am General
Model: M923A1
Style: Truck

I see no point in saying "ex military" truck or so forth. It's a big truck. Who cares if it's painted camo? It's their responsibility to look at what it is. They should know once you say AM General that it is something different. What's the difference in a 939 compared to a normal big wrecker? I don't really understand insurance companies sometimes. Like who cares if it's stored in a locked storage location? As long as you are just going for liability, then I don't see the point in insisting on having the vehicle in a covered location. I guess cause they aren't in the business of insuring military vehicles.

I have had good luck with Hagerty and I advise you to look into them. They still have the secure location rule, but they were very good to work with and they state that they insure military vehicles on their site.

Good luck!
Jeff

Gunner0311

Nope!

HAGERTY just denied me covered because of "Excessive/inapropriate use"??

I guess driving it less than 2000 miles per year is "excessive"?aua

As of this moment I have no insurance coverage on my 5-Ton:-x

Clay James

This is my experience with deuces registered historic, but maybe it can help. I got the same run around from insurance companies either not insuring it or quoting some huge price. I went to a local Farmers agent and got it insured that day. He knew exactly what deuces were and thought it was cool I was gonna drive them.

$22.40 for 6 months of $500k liability.
Restrictions-- "Will be used principally for exhibition, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest and occasionally for other purposes" I think mileage is 3k a year, but I can buy extra if I need to. The key point is they aren't limited to ONLY those things.

commandojeff

HAGERTY just denied me covered because of "Excessive/inapropriate use"??

I guess driving it less than 2000 miles per year is "excessive"?aua

As of this moment I have no insurance coverage on my 5-Ton:-x
I thought it was 1000 miles per year. To my knowledge, this excludes public events such as parades, veterans shows, etc... 1000 miles per year seems like a lot for personal use. Anything above that and they probably think you are using the truck for something other than historic reasons. Doesn't your odometer work only sometimes anyway.......?

My 939 was about 130 per year with Hagerty, and I'm 20. This also includes me being insured on our other jeeps and trucks too. So it might have been a better deal for the more vehicles. I have no idea. Good luck!

bgates

Hagerty charged me a little more because my M37 is a pickup. I had to take all sorts of pictures of the pretty paint and troop seats to show I never haul anything other than people in the back in parades. They finally gave in and said they just didn't want me hauling cargo of any sort. They did say a beer cooler is okay though.

Interapid

I thought it was 1000 miles per year. To my knowledge, this excludes public events such as parades, veterans shows, etc... 1000 miles per year seems like a lot for personal use. Anything above that and they probably think you are using the truck for something other than historic reasons. Doesn't your odometer work only sometimes anyway.......?

My 939 was about 130 per year with Hagerty, and I'm 20. This also includes me being insured on our other jeeps and trucks too. So it might have been a better deal for the more vehicles. I have no idea. Good luck!
Also remember that Hagerty only insured it as an original non customised vehicle. I wonder how anybody gets insurance on bobbed trucks and things made into campers and such. Different engines and some mods might knock you out as well. Remember that there are no military vehicle insurers just collector insurers and they are geared towards Camaros and Corvettes. We all need to tread lightly to get coverage. Hagerty was the most understanding. At least they knew what a M923 was!
CommandoJeff's Dad

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember that there are no military vehicle insurers just collector insurers and they are geared towards Camaros and Corvettes. We all need to tread lightly to get coverage.
You would be wrong for the most part. Gulfway has specific collector truck insurance.

I just got my second truck insured 45 minutes ago and did it all in one day with two e-mails and two calls.

Carol Smith
Gulfway Insurers of Hudson Inc
12701 U S Hwy 19
Bayonet Point FL 34667
Phone (727)863-5451 or (800)940-5010
Fax (727)862-3003

bgates

Hagerty says they will insure anything. Custom or not. I've got full coverage with no deductible with a stated value of 20K for $220 per year.

commandojeff

You would be wrong for the most part. Gulfway has specific collector truck insurance.

I just got my second truck insured 45 minutes ago and did it all in one day with two e-mails and two calls.

Carol Smith
Gulfway Insurers of Hudson Inc
12701 U S Hwy 19
Bayonet Point FL 34667
Phone (727)863-5451 or (800)940-5010
Fax (727)862-3003
Sure they have specific truck insurance, just like most other insurance company. But Gulfway was not created to insure solely military vehicles (as stated in his original post). How did you just prove anything against what was already stated? I do not even see the word "military" on Gulfway's site. To each his own. The bottom line is... get insurance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks