• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Interesting question from the DMV

army70deuce

Before I tried to register my Deuce fall last year I read all of these posts so I was prepared for a long drawn out process, I set aside my whole day and started early at the Anderson SC DMV.

ME: Hi I don't know what I need but I'm trying to register and get a license for a Military vehicle
GUY at Desk: Yeah we've done one or two of those before let me ask someone what you need
ME: OK
GUY: Go to the Country Treasurer first and pay taxes then come back with your receipt.

Woman at Treasurers office: You need to go to the DMV first
ME: They sent me here (thinking this might take a while)
Woman: OK I'll call them
ME: No problem, I'm in no hurry
Woman: OK, let me see your title. Ok you're good to go.

Taxes on 1970 AM General M35A2 = $20

Back at the DMV
Woman behind desk: So how much does it weigh.

To shorten this lets say that after some back and forth I pay $125 a year for my tag because I can haul up to 18,000lbs

Total $20 + $125 + $150 for haggarty insurance = a **** of a lot less than just the insurance on my other vehicles.

And only about 1 and a half hours of my time, that includes driving back and forth.

yetti96

I love these types of stories. It is amazing how "trained" some DMV agents are. It seems like some know some of the rules and other think they know every last one of them. At least most of these stories have a positive and cheap ending.

hklvette

I get to do this run-around in VA in the not-too-distant future. Getting insurance was sure easy though. All I did was drive the deuce to the state farm agent and she took care of the rest. Tried to get antique insurance, but SF corporate wouldn't have it because of the weight. Still, $120 every six months isn't bad at all.

I love the stories i got a good chuckle from em great yall didnt have to suffer to much with those good lookin dmv female employees:grin: oh yeah i guess its every single guys dream to find a woman who will love our trucks as much as we do or wait that might not be a great idea im jokin

goodguyzy

OK here is my oregon dmv story (2 at a time)
me: flat tow both trucks to dmv
me: filling out paper work in line, i hear next please, go to counter
psycho butch lesbo from ****: i didnt call you, go back to the line!!!
me: oh crap this is going to be bad
nice lady next box over: over here i called you
me: very relieved
nice lady: what can i do
me: title for both m35a2
nice lady: i dont know what these are
me: i tell her
nice lady:let go look at them
nice lady: gets in to look at ser. number (both)
nice lady: i love these trucks
$70 for each truck, i run no plates and have all cops wave to me8)
120/6months to state farm

buddy_holly

After all the research I did and talking to people and hearing horror stories about government morons screwing MV guys over, I was prepared with every lie, fib, side story and tall tale I could think of to get me through the registering/insuring nightmare. Its a jeep, a farm truck, a hummer, blah blah blah. This is what finally ended up happening:

AZ DMV:

ME: Hi I just bought this truck in MI and drove it straight here to get new tags title and license. Its not very ordinary.
HER: What kind of vehicle is it?
ME: Um...., its a big truck.
HER: VIN number please.
HER: Sign here.
HER: Enjoy your deuce!
ME: Wha....? Um, thank you?

Guns, trucks and other apocalypse preparation tools are some things AZ does right!

AceHigh

I had 2 previous trips to the WV DMV with very pleasant results, but my luck ended last week. Took in the SF97 and notarized Bill of Sale from GL and got rejected.

Contacted GL and they said they will send additional paperwork. I am anxious to see what comes.

I sent this to GL:

Good afternoon. I just got back from the WV DMV and they refused the SF97 for my
truck. Said it had to be made out to me.

I did one before and it worked fine. I spoke to the supervisor "Mandy" and she
called the state capitol and about 15 minutes later told me no go. The SF97 was made out
to you thus it could not be accepted. I showed them the letter I received from you
stating the enclosed documents were all that are required by WV, gave them the SF97 and
the Bill of Sale, notarized. Anyway, very frustrating day.

What can be done at this point? I have spent the $60 and have a truck they say I can't
title. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
GL sent this back:

It looks like we didn't send you all the documents that you need, and I
apologize for that. I will get the document printed and mailed out to
you today.

If you have anymore concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at the
information below.

Thank you,

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I went to register the M915 the little round gal in the DMV office remembered me from registering a couple of deuces.

She asked if I had it outside and I said yep.

She said she had to check the VIN and I said no prob.

She came out from behind the counter and she was wearing a lot less skirt that a gal her size needed.

We got out to the truck and she noticed how tall it was and I figured she would just have me climb in and read it to her....nope...she started to climb up and I asked if she needed assistance.

She said, "no...I got more a** than I need but I may need a boost."

She proceeded to climb up into the cab affording me and an older gent getting out of his car a panoramic rear view of a yard or so of red drawers. I think his pacemaker blew out.

She checked off the VIN.

I asked her again if she needed help getting down and she said "no but unless you turn around your going to have to buy me dinner."

Being ever the gentleman I turned my back while she got down.

When we got back in the office her co-workers were rolling since they had watched the show from the window.

Got all my paper work squared away (and a phone number scribbled on a Post it Note).

No.....I haven't called it.....yet.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I went to register the M915 the little round gal in the DMV office remembered me from registering a couple of deuces.

She came out from behind the counter and she was wearing a lot less skirt that a gal her size needed.

We got out to the truck and she noticed how tall it was and I figured she would just have me climb in and read it to her....nope...she started to climb up and I asked if she needed assistance.

She proceeded to climb up into the cab affording me and an older gent getting out of his car a panoramic rear view of a yard or so of red drawers. I think his pacemaker blew out.

She checked off the VIN.

I asked her again if she needed help getting down and she said "no but unless you turn around your going to have to buy me dinner."

When we got back in the office her co-workers were rolling since they had watched the show from the window.

Got all my paper work squared away (and a phone number scribbled on a Post it Note).

Talk about getting into bed with the DMV! :lol:

undysworld

Around here (WISCONSIN), we're used to some pretty moronic comments/questions from DMV.

During my Appeal Hearing, Tom Landmann, one of the local Pinzgauer owners was being questioned by Paul Nilsen, the DOT's lackey, er, excuse me, attorney.

Tom testified that when he was applying for his title, the DMV staffer had told him that it was legal to register Pinzgauers in Wisconsin. Atty. Nilsen asked whether he got anything "in writing" to that effect.

Tom said, "Yes, I got a title.".

Oh, it never ends... aua

asgtoolman

She checked off the VIN.

Sure hope the "little round Gal with the lots less skirt and the more a**" doesn't see this thread; it may not be as easy next time--or MAYBE????