• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

International H-542-11 in the woods

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take him a pic of one restored and SHOW him what the truck is wanted for. Sometimes when a person sees the end result of the restoration, they will part with the un-restored item. Sometimes people can't visualize the finished product.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to David Doyles Standard catalog of Military Vehicles they are fairly rare. With International building 6678 units ,Marmon-Harrington building 3200 and Kenworth building 1100 there can't be very many mostly complete units left.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take him a pic of one restored and SHOW him what the truck is wanted for. Sometimes when a person sees the end result of the restoration, they will part with the un-restored item. Sometimes people can't visualize the finished product.

Ha, I tried that with an identical International here in Texas. Spent the whole afternoon looking at the guy's rusted crap. In the end, he wanted $30,000 for it. Showed him how it was going to be part of a museum Red Ball Express display and everything. Did no good at all.

Gunfreak25

It's time to pull out the heavy artillery. Get inside his head. :confused:

Dale Carnegie once said that most people could care less about you or anyone else. When your talking to someone, they want to talk about themselves, their own desires and wants. Ask him a lot of questions, keep himself interested in himself and be a good listener. Smile, give compliments, butter his behind like a Sunday biscuit. After you feel enough has been said, as subtle as you can mention you are looking to restore on old 40's International for your dad.

And if all that fails. Punch him in the head take the keys fire it up and get the helll out of town.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the thing is They been in business close to 100 years ,the same as our family business . Our businesses have worked together the whole time . I done property mantainace for him for the last 25 years . His dad and uncle ran the company for the last 50 years and they wouldn't part with a peice of scrap metal because it will be worth a fortune with the next war , like it was in WWII . but that never happened . They both passed away a couple of years ago and the owners son who runs it now had that bred into him. But he did scrap 300 to 400 ton of total scrap a couple years ago.

The problem with him is he is one of these guys who if you work for him or are close friend he will deal pretty reasonable if your going to use it for yourself. But he knows this truck isn't a project I would do.

So hears the deal with him , he is one of those guys what won't sell anything for scrap price . But he won't give you a price either , he wants you make a offer and if he firures your trying to lowball him , he just flat out won't sell it to you . I've been working with for 30 years and seen it happen over and over . But if you can figure something he wants he likes trades .

68427vette

i have one of these, plus a Federal 4x4, versiion,, not really rare,, look hard in ALOt of junkyard,, you'll find a few,usually along the fence rows,, they weight about 9-11,000 or 5 ton x $300/ton = $1500=/- scrap price,, if its rusted to the ground,, move on,, if you need one part,, pay good for it,, those ones last year sold at that NC auction brought 600-700 each,, and they were 4x4 version federals, larger,and rusted out, jc

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have one of these, plus a Federal 4x4, versiion,, not really rare,, look hard in ALOt of junkyard,, you'll find a few,usually along the fence rows,, they weight about 9-11,000 or 5 ton x $300/ton = $1500=/- scrap price,, if its rusted to the ground,, move on,, if you need one part,, pay good for it,, those ones last year sold at that NC auction brought 600-700 each,, and they were 4x4 version federals, larger,and rusted out, jc
Well I talked to the owner today he really has no attachment to this truck , said he would think about what he is going to do with it over the holiday's . They close for the holidays on the 15th till january.But if you look in the backgound of the picture he dosen't part with much.

As for the scrap prices and the trucks in NC auction , the trucks in NC were probably shredded so there is less supply . If you go to your local scrapyard they will pay you $300 a ton . When you have your own trucks and you scap 300 to 400 ton like they did last time , you haul it 100 miles to detroit and sell it to the steel mill and get the same as the guy paying $300 a ton. So $1500 isn't a realistic scrap price to him. This is same same as wreckerman stated in the camp shelby sealed bid thread , the scrapers are bidding what everybody here considers scrap price because thats what they are paid , the scrap guys are making substansially more than they are paying. It's having the right contacts and volume to sell .

The intention of post the pictures was just that to share them. But if somebody was truly interested in them and wanted more info PM me your contact info .

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove by the Int'l in Texas yesterday. It is still sitting in the field. I didn't cross the fence to get a closer pic. I did that once a long time ago and got shot at. It was an International too, but a half track.

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove by the Int'l in Texas yesterday. It is still sitting in the field. I didn't cross the fence to get a closer pic. I did that once a long time ago and got shot at. It was an International too, but a half track.
People get a funny about crossing fences . This is in a yard like that ,if you don't check into the office as soon as you come in some body will out to see you. They originally bought 12 of these out of surplus this is the only survivor of the 12 . Might have to make it the sping project and get it fired up again. There isn't much to do here when frost laws are on . Last year we got a old International straight frame loader going that hadn't moved in 20 years.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bringing back a old thread , it still sitting in the same spot but the owner is starting to warm up to
selling some things but not for scrap price . He let a early 70's Astro michigan special with 12V71 DD in it not long ago
and that was a truck we still used to move stone from the dock to the concrete plant . He starting to realize his kids are
just going to have a auction and sell everything when he passes , none of them have any interest in keeping the business running.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Bringing back a old thread , it still sitting in the same spot but the owner is starting to warm up to
selling some things but not for scrap price . He let a early 70's Astro michigan special with 12V71 DD in it not long ago
and that was a truck we still used to move stone from the dock to the concrete plant . He starting to realize his kids are
just going to have a auction and sell everything when he passes , none of them have any interest in keeping the business running.
It is definitely a neat old truck.

Sad that his kids - who benefited from his hard work - can't seem to understand.
Understand a lot of things... Guess I will leave it at that.
Legacy is the word that comes to mind.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like these tractors I still got mine These ww2 trucks help change all our lives and the world
Absolutely!

You have a nice collection there.
Tractor is really cool.
TWO make that TWO halftracks owned by the same guy in the same yard... That is so neat!

Reactions: 68t
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks