• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Introduction and need a hand please!

WYomer

Hello I just purchased a M934 Expansible from Odgen UT via IronPlanet.

Love the rig and my dealings with Ironplanet and the staff in UT was top notch. I drove a M939 in the early 90s a bit in the Army when not on my tank. I got to UT and got the rig fired/aired and off the lot after checking everything but the transfer case for fluids. Two hours later GEICO finally insured me with commercial insurance. I spoke to 4 carriers including Grundy s who insures my friends and aua.

I meant to do another check but didn't. I was coming home from spreading my Dad's ashes and had my Mom in tow. Hate to say it my patients/temper got the better of me and I just hit the road. I can almost see my self on the cover of a PMCS weekly cartoon. Almost made it home to Wyoming when coming down the South Pass by Lander WY the speedometer quit, noises appeared and I got it into a truck pull out. When I inspected it the transfer case was insanely hot, bubbling seals and the solder from the speedometer cable had dripped. Looks like it ran dry and the input shaft stripped, maybe more but I wont know until the tow company brings it home today and I drop it. The next morning I pulled the plugs and found some shavings and no oil. Filled the case, no leaks, tried to move it but the input shaft just turns with the transmission and transfer case doesn't turn. The air solenoids still click and after some wiggling the think shifted into H from N position.

I had power issues on the way home and the 1/3 tank of fuel likely was from 2009. I topped it off with some additives and it was getting better when I topped it off a few hours of driving later. It was just doing 55-60MPH in the WY rolling hills when it broke down. The first leg of the journey was all mountains with 25-35MPH top speeds being common. I still blame the old fuel for most of that but the exhaust is super loud unlike my friend's A2.

I'm an engineer with lots of tools and build rock crawlers and hot rods for hobby so my skills and tools are better than average. The transfer case looks simple to get out too.

So questions:

Any coming back for the housing?
Are Expansibles dogs for power?
Good parts supply for the transfer cases?
Prices for NOS/Rebuilt cases? I'm seeing $750-5000.
Weight of a T-case for freight?

Thanks a ton in advance!

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Last edited:

Gunzy

Welcome from where you picked your truck up. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. If you check around you may find a case for a decent price. Boyce Equipment is in Ogden so you may check with them on a case so you could road trip to get it. Good luck on your endever.

WYomer

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Boyce has some and seem nice but $2500 for a take out seems pricey!

Just got the word it should be here in about 2 hours.

dmetalmiki

Welcome, That was such a bad luck miss inspection. Hope you get the problem fixed and then you can enjoy the truck. The site and the hobby.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky, bad scene on the toasted transfer case, replacements are available, easily replaced, just very heavy. Keep us updated.
JC

HanksDeuce

Oh lord, another engineer around here. They let anybody in here nowadays!

Good luck on getting your transfer case swapped out. File the lesson learned away and try not to repeat it in the future. At least that's what I do. I also try to learn from other people's mistakes so I don't make my own.

Post pics when you get a chance. Oh and welcome aboard from Louisiana.

WYomer

Might be a bit to ship but we have a few that I have road tested $500.00 and welcome to the madness.
$500 sounds good honestly the tow was $1600 but I got it for $7200 auction so still in the original budget. Any ideas what freight would be to a dock?

I help with hunts up here too for fun. My girl and I will likely take 5 deer, 6 antelope, and 2-3 elk this year. I have 5 kids it helps with the grocery bill and is better than golfing for you!

I wanted to let everybody know I was an engineer so talk S-L-O-W to me :grd:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks