• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IR headlights

deloit

I have several that I bought from EBait... Do a search for M113 / M60 Tank dual headlight. I mounted one on my ATV and I've had loads of fun with it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The 4811 works for both. I have paid as much as 17 something for a bulb until I found them at the 9...whatever price on lightbulbs.com.

Note that some manuals (if not all) will say the IR takes a different bulb. I think a 4812 or something like that. At one time I had over a hundred of these lights from take offs and all of them had 4811 bulbs. The other bulb is very hard to find and is a lot more pricey when you do find it. The 4811s have worked find for me with absolutely no issues for both white and IR lights.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have IR lights (not for sale) on my contact truck (not for sale either). They definitely turn night into (green) daylight! Interesting driving with NVGs.
Nice truck Eric,

I have a pair of the same lights given to me as a gift from RAZER at the Ga Rally. I am going to need to look at yours to see how they are mounted and how the wiring is installed. I am mounting them on the M-109. Let me know when you have time.....k

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck Eric,

I have a pair of the same lights given to me as a gift from RAZER at the Ga Rally. I am going to need to look at yours to see how they are mounted and how the wiring is installed. I am mounting them on the M-109. Let me know when you have time.....k
Probably just this coming Saturday or Sunday. Contact me Thursday or Friday and we can set something up.

Stonepicker1

I have a 66 inch IBIS light bar with two IR lights that I will be mounting on my dually or CUCV-II Crew Cab soon. Now for a good set of NVG's.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dam Coconut Creek,

That light bar rocks. Do you always find the cool stuff or were you lucky..? That bar would look good on the dually you had in Florida.

davesgmc

IR headlights are 24v
Your sneaking around at night in an MV? Which one has the "silent" mode?
aswayze drove right up on a sqaud of guys in the 2.5 and they never heard him coming. My ferret could do the same tihng, you just have to think quiet, low rpms, low speed, they can be quite tactical.
The east germans and the russains know the wizzy sound of a ferret from quite a far. but when i am TRYING to be quiet, i certainly can. BTW, the ferret has a set of ir lights on it now too, cant wait to get the nvg out and drive it around in complete darkness

Aswayze

Actually one of the funnier comments from the couple of very night active East Germans at East Wind II (Both of whom ARE soldiers) was that the M151 and the deuce sounded almost identical at night. Either that noise is an M35A2 way over there creepy crawling around or it’s an M151 that’s about to run us over. We had a pretty tough little Ho Chi Minn trail grade path we ran those on too and it was extra menacing to the guys riding in those trucks that didn’t have nods on when we entered into the deep dark forest and started gyrating around all the trees and picking our way amongst the rocks.

Good times. ;)

I manage pretty well with the Deuce at Oklahoma but I am really looking forward to slinking in the M882. That thing is MUCH quieter, if only it didn’t have that extra shiny windshield to give my position away…

The Ferret is absurd… I am pretty sure Dave could sneak up behind someone and nudge them with that thing.

davesgmc

hey, werent we talkign about ir headlights? Maybe I should put some on the elmo when i drive 75mph downt the road....just kidding

BIG_RED

Heads up to those looking for Infrared lights - check around online and at security places for "ir security illuminators". They're LED IR lights for security cameras that need to see where they don't want to give way the position of the cameras. Some of them are SUPER bright (as in, you can barely tell they are on in the dark, except that it kinda hurts your eyes if you hold them up to your head and look right into them<dumb idea>(nobody would see one in the trees if the moon was out), but if you grab an IR camera (Sony Nightshots work) and watch the liveview while holding an ir illuminator hooked up to a booster-pak in a dark field, you can see EVERYTHING (I don't see so well in the light, but I'd say with Ir iluminator my buddy has <big metal box full of LED's> I could Identify a face from 50 feet away with a camera that was clearly not designed for this purpose). Sometimes you can find used ones pretty cheap at building tear-downs, especially if you bribe the demo guys and make off with the cameras and a furnace too :p

Another fun thing you can do with IR illuminators is use them to white-out cameras at night. Most camera's (even one's not made for IR) can see IR light, but it looks sorta purple. If you have a bright enough IR light (or any light) and point it at a camera, most cameras will adjust their picture to compensate for the brightness and won't be able to see you next to the light (they just see a bight light, surrounded by darkness). The advantage to the IR camera-blinder is that people passing by won't see your big bright light pointing at a camera and wonder what you're up to. You can shine them at light sensors to shut off dusk-to-dawn automatic lights too. (No, I'm not a criminal, nor have I ever used this technique for anything illegal. I just find myself surrounded by more and more Camera's that have no business watching what I'm up to <Maybe sneaking unregistered green iron past your neighbors camera and into your garage>)

Also, the only way I can sneak up on anything with the M1009 is if I descend on it from above, engine shut-off, rolling in neutral down a hill :p. And it better not be a steep hill cause without the engine running, M1009's are aweful hard to stop :p Can't even imagine stopping a deuce..(although they hold air for the brakes in a tank, no? so maybe they wouldn't be so hard to stop without the engine going.. Man I need a deuce! :p)

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IR LIghts from RAZER

Probably just this coming Saturday or Sunday. Contact me Thursday or Friday and we can set something up.

Here is a picture of those lights from razer. 1 has a broken bolt in it and the other has a power wire coming out. It has to be the ground. I would like to see how yours is put together, basically take it apart and take a looksy if you don't mind.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darwin T, I am confused...? I thought it rocked.

I was looking to buy 5 LED'S like yours.

2 for a m109, front and back, 1 for a 1028, 1 for a snowmobile and 1 for a quad.

Those I have in the picture is for a 109.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ir driving lights in islands post above ground thru the mounting stud. They have high and low beams, that why there are 2 electrical connections.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a picture of those lights from razer. 1 has a broken bolt in it and the other has a power wire coming out. It has to be the ground. I would like to see how yours is put together, basically take it apart and take a looksy if you don't mind.

IGD, they can be repaired. I have a set not yet installed so we can pull those apart.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
for 12 volt I use the 60 watt (4.69 AMP) 12.8 volt PAR36 3 Contact Lugs Base #4454 Sealed Beam

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks