• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IR headlights

Darwin T

Darwin T, I am confused...? I thought it rocked.

I was looking to buy 5 LED'S like yours.

2 for a m109, front and back, 1 for a 1028, 1 for a snowmobile and 1 for a quad.

Those I have in the picture is for a 109.

it does rock, but not in the infrared spectrum. the only thing i don't like is with the winch and the blackoput ligh on the bottom like my M109a3 most of the light shines in the back of the bumper. i have not got to run it at the farm at night to see how much shines on the road. in town it does not look like enough. i have the site to get a set of the IR headlight covers you showed saved in my favorites.

byrdman1312

Thanks a bunch for all the replies. You've given me a lot to think about. I'll be mounting them to a Chevy pickup at first and maybe later to some boats, to be used with NVGs. I'm going to try to secure some from armored vehicles first. The commercial IR lights are too expensive, but very nice.
I'll let you know what I end up with.
Many thanks!!!!!!!!!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IR Lights from RAZER

These are the two lights I am working on. I took them apart and there is no problems that can't be readily fixed. I got the power hook ups/plug In's from the electrical guy in Ga.

I know the bulbs are 24v, Hi and low beam, there are 2 power inputs and the mounting bolt is the ground. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 2 way quality switch....?:popcorn:

Attachments

BIG_RED

2 speed heater blower fan switches for big vehicles (ie schoolbus) can handle lots of power and have 3 settings: Off, Output1 hot, Output2 hot. Those are cheap to get around here and would work great for off/hi/low beam switch.

Wagner....

I got one off epay.....and then took it apart. I ditched the 24v sealed bulb and went to the auto parts store. Found the Wagner 44111 12v sealed bulb worked great. It only has two connections on the back so its easy to wire up. Its going on the front of the work truck that I use almost every night to sneak and peek with NVG's. :driver:

SgtStedanko

I know this is an old thread, but I have used this thread for ideas on how to get an IR light for my truck. I do not have an old military truck, though I think I would like to. I want to put an IR light on my pickup to enhance night driving as it is recorded by my dash cam.

I have an IR light like the ones islandguydon posted above.

I replaced the GE 4811 28V 50/110W bulb with a GE 4454 12V 60/60W.

In order to test this new bulb, I hooked it straight up to a car battery. In the video posted below, you can first see the beam as the power is applied to the left connector. As the video progresses, I move the power over the the right connector. The beam seams to have an oblong affect but seems to be a bit brighter when connected to the left terminal. I was expecting the affect to be a light pattern that was...more round? Or at least larger. Now that I think about it, headlights do have more of an oblong pattern...

How would I go about wiring this? Is power applied to both terminals at once? Or both if in high-beam?

Video: https://youtu.be/YQNV-iT398k

SgtStedanko

Thanks for the quick reply gimpyrobb!

Now I just need to find the wiring connectors that will plug into those round rubber protectors that protect the contacts. I am going to find a switch like the one mentioned earlier for heaters.

As far as wiring this thing, is a straigth up connection, say from the battery, to the switch, the way to go? Or do I need something more? Resisters? Relays? Some other such electrical thingamabob?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You'll have to find out how many amps the light pulls.

divide the wattage by 12(your voltage) and that will tell you how many amp the light will draw. If the switch isn't rated for that amount of amps, you will need to install a relay.

Edit, looks like 5amp draw for your lights, so you will need a 10 amp rated switch for a pair of lights.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you are using the GE 4454 12V 60/60W then it is 3 lug light. The left lug is the ground when looking at back of bulb, top low beam, right high headlight connector.jpg You just have to remember which of the two lugs on the outside goes to the high beam. Make sure you mount them with the stud pointing down the ones on my bike were not and I had to grind some glass on the clear one to bulb to put out a correct pattern for riding at night on the high way. bike lights.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks