• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IronPlanet.com Selling Military Rolling Stock SOON!

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will also weed out an awful lot of people who could afford to buy these trucks as a hobby to do living history events, car shows, Veteran's parades, etc. I'll dump $10k into a true "classic"" vehicle such as a restored Vietnam or earlier truck because it has current historical value. While one day these trucks will as well, right now they're just used trucks.
It will probably increase the amount of truck in private hands in the long run as scrapers won't be buying running trucks and shredding them. It will also keep a lot of people from getting in over their head with trucks they have no clue how to drive or no ability to maintain . I'm sure if you search you will find similar complaints about GL raising the minimum bid to $150 a few years ago .

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will also weed out an awful lot of people who could afford to buy these trucks as a hobby to do living history events, car shows, Veteran's parades, etc. I'll dump $10k into a true "classic"" vehicle such as a restored Vietnam or earlier truck because it has current historical value. While one day these trucks will as well, right now they're just used trucks.
I don't get this at all. It's an auction. They want to sell it. If it sells for 10K+ now, it means someone else is willing to pay 10K+ now. The only delta between starting at 10K and selling for 11K and starting at $150 and selling for 11K is that some folks who bid in the middle got to dream for a while they might have won.

From a marketing perspective, they're marginally more likely to get 11K starting at 10K (Perceived value and all), but generally the outcome doesn't change much.

If I'd wanted trucks to stay dirt cheap, I'd be more annoyed about how much better data seems to be available. That will enable people who couldn't / wouldn't travel a few hundred miles to preview return / recover to bid remotely. Since this will open the customer base things may go for higher.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What it's likely to mean is a lot of repeat auctions when someone realizes they have to come up with that amount in cash and wire it directly from their bank and either can't or their spousal unit won't allow it. My guess is they're not going to be able to sustain those prices. There is a limited private buyer pool and I doubt the big guys are going to be willing to pay that kind of money for inventory.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Will they also be selling the other stuff like gear and parts or is that staying with GL?
Nope,GL will still have that,
IronPlanet®, the leading online marketplace for buying and selling used heavy equipment and trucks, today announced that it was awarded the U.S. Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) contract to manage and sell rolling stock surplus assets of the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) (Surplus Contract).

Al Harvey

In no way questioning that, but I wondered if you had a link to it? Sounds like an interesting read.
O

Well I could not find a link to the article but it is on page 24 of the December 2014, Issue 171. They did a 10 question interview with Randall E. Berry, the Senior Vice President of Operations and Services for IronPlanet.

Here is a snap shot of the question, this is Military Vehicles Magazine's work and is not my own just for a disclaimer.

IMG_2443.jpgIMG_2444.jpg

kennys@wi.rr.com

Was just looking at the site. Interesting that opening bids on trailers range from $300 to $600 with $100 bid incriments on 1061 trailers. And other items starting bids as high as $15k? This will be interesting.

motorrad

I noticed a couple of GP's upcoming items don't have the "Ironclad Assurance" but still have the same starting bid as those that do. You'd think they would be a little less.

ChesterCounty

O

Well I could not find a link to the article but it is on page 24 of the December 2014, Issue 171. They did a 10 question interview with Randall E. Berry, the Senior Vice President of Operations and Services for IronPlanet.

Here is a snap shot of the question, this is Military Vehicles Magazine's work and is not my own just for a disclaimer.

View attachment 524130View attachment 524131

The GP site suggests they will accept credit card payment but only up to $5000. Given the starting prices this would severely limit the use of credit card as a buying mechanism.

turnkey

So I will wait and see as all the facts are not out yet....Won a bid on GL for 45US dollars....Should be interesting and waiting for the horrow stories to come in...

Sephirothq

I took a look and there are only a few states that have trucks. I didn't see if they were listed under bases or where they were located. I did notice the price. Which I don't know if that is the current bid or the starting bid price.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a look and there are only a few states that have trucks. I didn't see if they were listed under bases or where they were located. I did notice the price. Which I don't know if that is the current bid or the starting bid price.
Those are the starting bid prices. They still haven't actually had any auctions start yet so everything you see is what they're starting out at. Most of the trailers are starting over what a lot have been bringing on GL.

Status
Not open for further replies.