• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a CUCV right for me?

wilfreeman

Been wanting one since I was in the Army and drove one. Now, my old pickup is in need of some work on the brakes and interior (1992 Chev. K1500 Silverado, 305, 5spd), and now would be a perfect time to "justify"buying a CUCV to the wife.

I mainly use my truck to haul trash off, pull the lawnmower trailer, pull the 4 wheelers, haul building materials occasionally. I put about 150 miles on it /month. I'm thinking I would probably use it to pull a car hauler loaded with my m38a1(about 4200# together) to rallies close (less than 100 miles) to home. I realize I would need to install a receiver hitch to do this, that the CUCVs are rated at 3100 towing, and it would be a snail on hills.

I've read some posts about hauling/towing with these, and think it would do what I would need it to do. It would also give my m101a2 a companion. It would be replacing a current vehicle, not adding to the fleet, so I could still add more OD maybe next year (I've got my eye on an m37 - figured it wouldn't be a good pickup replacement vehicle).

So, what do you CUCV owners think?

Last edited:

pmramsey

Find yourself a friend that owns a CUCV. Drive it. Help her with the maintenance. Get to know her truck inside and out. The answer is to just drive one for a week or so and most of your questions will be answered one way or the other.

sierrajcharlie

I had a 85 Chevy Silverado w/a 305 and 5 speed in it and loved it. It was REALLY underpowered though. If you drop a 350 in yours and figure out what the other repairs would cost, which would be cheaper. There's a good chance any M series you get will need some additional dollars laid out also. I've stuck quite a bit of time/money in my 09 since I got it. There's days I think I should of had my head examined before I bought it. Then there are the days I love it.

How's that for a no help answer?!

midcounty

As owner of 3 M1009's and recently acquiring a M1008, I say go for it. I love my trucks. They are not over powered, but will get the job done. They generally need some work here and there, and they aren't really a bargain if you just want a simple truck. However, if you want one for the fact that it is a MV that you can use on a regular basis and restore as some what of an investment, I say go for it.

Timber

It really comes down to purchase price and condition. Mine has dents and some minor floor board rust but I got it for $1030 in good running condition. I've replaced the starter and batteries since purchase, but otherwise I haven't had to do anything to it.

That said, my wife still does not like it. I've still got it, drive it all the time, and she'll ride with me if I've been nice. Honestly, they're loud as **** on the inside and need some kind of sound deadening/carpet or both.

original

I mainly use my truck to haul trash off, pull the lawnmower trailer, pull the 4 wheelers, haul building materials occasionally. I put about 150 miles on it /month. I'm thinking I would probably use it to pull a car hauler loaded with my m38a1(about 4200# together) to rallies close (less than 100 miles) to home. I realize I would need to install a receiver hitch to do this, that the CUCVs are rated at 3100 towing, and it would be a snail on hills.
If your going to use it to tow with, just forget it. These trucks barely have the power to tow themselves down a hill. I've tried it too many times. The trucks have very little real world use- playing in the mud, driving in a parade. It's actually a little embarrasing to know that these trucks were used by the military. To each his own, but I would steer clear.

trukhead

Are you mechanically inclined? Will you be maintaining it or will you have someone else working on it? They are butt simple but they are intimidating to the unfamiliar mechanic. I just got 4 of them off the GL sight and they all purr but 2 have starting issues that I will diagnose.
If you get one, get a good one that runs well and starts well.2cents

If it is underpowered you could always drop a small block chevy in it and leave the gears and tranny in it and it would have tons of power.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

So, towing is out and it's way too loud - I would definitely have to be able to haul stuff and tow light loads. The noise isn't that big of a deal, and I drive fairly slow, so thats ok. I do my own maintenance, so easier is better.

I've read about the 6.5l swap and adding a turbo, but would it give me enough umpth to tow a light load. The price of swapping or adding a turbo wouldn't be a problem - the coolness of the body style (and being an MV) would make up for that!

wilfreeman

Yeah, I like a/c too - and a radio. The radio works but the a/c is now only 3/50 a/c (2 windows and1 rear slider, at 50mph)! I put some larger tires on it, and with the 305, manual tranny and high gear ratio, she is kind of useless at towing unless you stay in 3rd and 4th gears. I do get about 13-15mpg though.

penokeevet

Get one. I have a M1008 and M1009, and drive both. Have a Historical plate on the 1009 and regular plate on the 1008. The PU is a little rough riding because of the stiff suspension, but that goes with the territory. Being a 76 year old Korean Vet who drove jeeps, Dueces and 5 tons in Korea, Japan and Virginia, I simply enjoy driving them for the experience. Do basic maintenance myself, but have had mufflers, seat belt done by local shop. Pure enjoyment. penokeevet.

Timber

They are not that underpowered. I just added a civvy receiver hitch to mine to tow my motorcycle trailer when me and my boys ride, it's more than up to that task.

original

They are not that underpowered. I just added a civvy receiver hitch to mine to tow my motorcycle trailer when me and my boys ride, it's more than up to that task.
Alright, hook up a real load and take it up a small grade hill. I don't mean to jab at you, I just don't want this guy to buy a truck that will not tow. By example, I had around 800lbs in the bed and 2 ton on a trailer. It did fair on level ground. Slow acceleration, 50-55, but when I came to mountain, even the small ones, the truck would top the hill at about 15mph with black smoke flooding the train of cars behind. I'm not a speed demon, but a truck towing a load should at least be able to stay somewher near the speed limit. With these trucks, you are closer to stopping than you are to the speed limit.

Barrman

A/C, cruise control, radio and intermittent wipers are things you don't realize how nice they are until you get into a CUCV as your daily driver.

The 6.2 was designed to have the same output as a 1980 2 barrel 305 V8 with twice the fuel mileage. If you can live with that, then power won't be a problem.

I am working on my 4th CUCV in the last 2 years. This is what they all needed. Brake hoses, brake calipers, tires, u-joints, batteries, alternators, starters, glow plugs, glow plug controllers, speedometers, speedometer cables, fuel senders and 2 injection pumps.

How much time and money is fixing your current truck going to cost?

Well not all of them were completely slow (original)one of my close friends bought an m1008 here in NC, from a city sale and i can tell you thats sucker will flat out haul butt.We were looking around under the hood the other day and found a data plate on the drivers side valve cover it was kinda dirty so we cleaned it off. Suffice to say that thing had been rebuilt in 1987 with .30 over pistons it runs like a top and the transmission feels like a shift kit in it compared to mine.;)

But with that being said i have 2 m1008s. I love them dearly but they do require alot of attention.They make good around town trucks at least in my opioin.I get looks from little kids all the time when they see my big red 4wd pull up in the parking lot at walmart.Most of the parents usually no what it is and then they said they drove them while in.Which is one of the reasons i love my m1008s.Not to mention my nieces love it.I think im converting those to to the od green disease :]

Timber

Alright, hook up a real load and take it up a small grade hill. I don't mean to jab at you, I just don't want this guy to buy a truck that will not tow. By example, I had around 800lbs in the bed and 2 ton on a trailer. It did fair on level ground. Slow acceleration, 50-55, but when I came to mountain, even the small ones, the truck would top the hill at about 15mph with black smoke flooding the train of cars behind. I'm not a speed demon, but a truck towing a load should at least be able to stay somewher near the speed limit. With these trucks, you are closer to stopping than you are to the speed limit.
No jab taken, mine scoots very well. I haven't towed my motorcycle trailer with it yet, but there's no way it will slow me down to unsafe speeds, or necessarily at all. Not all 25 year old vehicles are in the same state of tune.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks