• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is a CUCV right for me?

leeh725

Get it

I vote that you get one. What do you have to lose? If you had experience with one in the service and like the nostalgia, go for it.

You'll get an education working on it. Lord knows I did with the four I've acquired over time.

You only live once. If it turns out to be a rotten idea later, then you'll know. You should be able to clearly see from the infinite posts on this site that there is something to be said for them, good or bad. But get it and fix it up the way you want it.

Grab the checkbook, bite the bullet, and start writing.

For what little it's worth, I've driven an M1008 from Southeast Texas to Guffey, Colorado. To be fair, mine was regeared with 3.73 gears. It may have been a little noisy. But it sure beat tearing up a nicer truck on those shelf roads and rough terrain.

To top it off, the main duty of the M1008 is farm service. That can be defined as hauling fuel to feed an articulator, tools to the hayfield, a 40' float trailer of square or rolled hay, or up to 32' livestock trailers with various cattle.

To be fair, it's mostly a truck to use around here. But I would not be afraid to take it on a trip to a rally or even haul another FMV with it.

At least with a rig like that, you'll be able to get work done, have a little fun, and turn a few heads in the process. I am not certain how much more practical you can get than that.

Best of luck to you.

wilfreeman

Thanks for all the posts so far guys! You've really given me some stuff to think about. Still wondering if a turbo or 6.5 would make it more capable of towing though - is there anyone here with one, or should I ask in one of the oilburner forums? I might just b bite the bullet and find out first hand what they are capable of - who knows, it might be perfect for me! I can always hook the car hauler and jeep up to the wifes expedition for rallies. I think it would be fine hauling 2atvs or a lawnmower on a trailer, or debris to the landfill.

MarcusOReallyus

I got mine to haul firewood and trash. I haven't gotten it on the road yet, but for crying out loud! If a 6.2 liter diesel can't pull a load of firewood, or a couple of ATVs, something is seriously wrong!

We Americans have a problem with always having to have the biggest, baddest, fastest. Most of the rest of the world is quite happy with pulling bigger loads with smaller engines, and not going a bazillion miles an hour while doing it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How mountainous is your area? Mine pulls 4000# almost effortlessly here in pretty flat FL. My truck weighs 7000# too. If your terrain isn't too extreme you should be fine. As far as comfort, drive a deuce for 20 years, you will refer to the CUCV as luxurious. My only gripe is no A/C and I can fix that.

pmramsey

I got mine to haul firewood and trash. I haven't gotten it on the road yet, but for crying out loud! If a 6.2 liter diesel can't pull a load of firewood, or a couple of ATVs, something is seriously wrong!

We Americans have a problem with always having to have the biggest, baddest, fastest. Most of the rest of the world is quite happy with pulling bigger loads with smaller engines, and not going a bazillion miles an hour while doing it.
For some, life is just one peter match after another and then you die.

wilfreeman

Good point - 6 cylinder engines were in everything in the 40s and 50s. As long as it's geared right, slow and steady will win the race - or at least get you there!

My area is fairly flat - some hilly areas - not mountains though. I remember the deuce and 5 ton - actually was a better ride offroad, but that's what they were designed for.

brokedown

Not sure where the negativity towards towing is coming from. My M1009 has no problems towing! I had U-Haul put a combination hitch where the Pintle was, wired in a light kit, and my brother has had a trailer on it basically full time since I got it. My hitch is rated at 17,000 pounds, and the truck is licensed for 12,000. Real-world I have a 16 foot single axle trailer so I won't put more than about a ton on it (rated for 1.5 ton), plus the truck itself has probably 500 pounds of tools and equipment behind the seat.

I've pulled much heavier loads with much lesser vehicles, that's for sure. If you're talking about hauling trash and four wheelers, you are way way way way way way within the capabilities.

Now, I can only speak to the M1009, I have no experience with the other models, but they all share the majority of the drivetrain... But I would say that if someone thinks their truck isn't able to competently pull a ton, they should take it to a mechanic to see whats wrong with it.

So let me just summarize with this. My M1009, with 2 adults and 500 pounds of gear, can pull a trailer with a ton on it without breaking a sweat. Even in the rain, in reverse up steep driveways, on the highway at 60mph, etc.:grd:

I do wish I had air conditioning, but I'll worry about that in the spring.

original

The M1009 gears are 3.08 and the M1008 are 4.56. That's the difference. The 6.2 cannot handle these gears with a load in the bed or on a trailer. I don't consider it towing until you've got at least 2 ton. A small car can pull a ton. A truck of this caliber should be able to tow 3 ton with ease. I don't think the government had towing in mind when they ordered these trucks, so they served their purpose and now they are merely a toy.

Atwater

i have grossed around 15,000 with my 08 (5 speed manual swap). best to have lots of time and no hills.
i would recommend a turbo if you dont want to swap engines.
if you want to stay with a diesel i would suggest swapping in a 5.9 cummins.
if money is no object how about a duramax:drool:

brokedown

Horsepower is an almost meaningless figure for a low revving diesel engine though, it rewards higher rpm. What turns tires is the torque, and 250 foot pounds is a respectable figure.

wilfreeman

Thanks for all the info guys - I had made up my mind to go the el' cheapo route and fix up old red this weekend instead of buying another vehicle. Now I'm starting to second guess my decision! I had brake problems on the front end, so I decided to go ahead and replace everything so that I wouldn't have to worry about it for a while. When I got in there to tear it down, EVERYTHING was rusting away - HEAVY rust. So after I removed the calipers, rotors, flex lines and shocks, I blew off the flaking rust with the air hose, scraped with a gasket scraper and screwdriver and wire brushed everything I could reach. Then I sprayed on a rust converter and some satin black paint. Then I sprayed undercoating on the frame.

Upon looking at the rest of the frame, it was in the same condition - inside and out! AND the rear end and driveshaft and exhaust - EVERYTHING!

I put the new brake system back together (with a new master cylinder, hoses, rotors, and calipers) and started to bleed the brakes. I kept losing fluid from the front reservoir. I looked under the truck, and there was fluid under the rear driver side. Upon further inspection, the steel line was busted - RUSTED THROUGH! Of course, it is the line that you can't get to because of the gas tank! Tomorrow, I guess I'll drop the tank and try to get that line loose. Also, both rear parking brake cables are rusted solid.

Seems like the more I do to this thing, the more I have to do to it. I can't figure out why it has rusted so bad in the last year or so - I don't live where we have alot of snow, or near the ocean. I am the second owner - my Grandad was the first, so I know its history. I guess I see alot of scraping and wire brushing and rust converter in my future - along with a new exhaust system and parking brake cables. If I'm going to keep it, I'll have to fix it - I'll also have to fix it if I'm going to be able to sell it.

Sorry for rambling on, but it's just been one of those days!

Varyag

I think you made the right choice on that one. You have to want a cucv. There are so many civi vehicles that are better and pull less of a premium. I like mine because it reminds me of some of the stuff I used in the army. Even though they can do a lot of stuff ok, as a civi replacement they really don't compare in price and maintenance.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Willfreeman - I hope you don't end up throwing too much $$ into your old truck. Sucks that you have to deal with so much rust. :-( Replacing brake lines is a PITA. Is there any way you could re-route the line instead of dropping the fuel tank? Might take some extra long brake line but might save you aggravation. If you drop the tank, you might as well replace the in-tank fuel pump and filter. If you're planning on selling the truck anyway, do the bare minimum to get it road worthy, drive it for a bit to make sure everything is in working order, and get rid of it so you can buy a M1009! :D

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not want to drive my CUCV everyday (did I say I like AC?). And towing, well, it's 150~ HP; you aren't towing anything fast except down hill.

If you just want something to play with then go for it. If you really have a need for a tow vehicle then give it some thought. There are lots of used vehicles that will be a better over-all truck.

wilfreeman

as a civi replacement they really don't compare in price and maintenance.
I agree - but they're so cool!

Is there any way you could re-route the line instead of dropping the fuel tank?
I thought about that, but the only joint is right there behind the tank - the next one up the line is in the engine compartment. It would be just as much a PITA to cut and flare it somewhere along the line. Believe me - I drank a whole beer under there trying to find a way to do it without dropping the tank. Good thing I only have about 1/4 tank in there!

And towing, well, it's 150~ HP; you aren't towing anything fast except down hill.
I think my 305 is rated around there somewhere too - but I have some high gears in mine too - I stay in 3rd and 4th when I'm pulling/hauling anything because 5th is a lost cause with my combination.

If I didn't have a fairly new paint job on her, I would throw on some Behr OD along with a grill gaurd and call her a CUCV!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks