• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it Illegal?

99dodge1500

Is it illegal to have any U.S.Army markings on a civilian vehicle, and what about something like U.S.M.C and some numbers behind it? I am looking to put some on my DD but don't really feel like dealing with the police about it. My dad had told me that it is illegal because it is impersonating a government official.:-D

bubba_got_you

i dont think it is (at least not here in Florida) to impersonate someone you have to say that you are that person (that's the way i have understood it). if it is all us mv guys are breaking the law because once it is sold to a civ it is a civilian truck. i have been known to be wrong so don't take my word for it

99dodge1500

Getting stopped for impersonation is the least of my problems, it would just possible get me out of another ticket, I am putting these on my suburban with a 10 inch lift and H1 civilian rims with the 37 inch tires on it.:razz: It will be all legal hopefully, but just don't need an extra ticket.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will you be displaying your ACTUAL LEGAL LICENSE PLATE(S):?:
If so, then you are obviously driving a truck that has merely been "decorated" in a quasi authentic manner - exercising artistic liberty - AKA: FREE SPEECH (ref First Ammendment Right) hence, if stopped by a LEO hollar "A.C.L.U.!" and watch the cop squirm :-D

This site is probably not the place to get legal advice. The guys here may gladly give you their opinion, but it is just that, an opinion. I would hate to see a guy get into trouble with the law due to something posted on this site. The law can be interpreted many ways by many people.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
drgreg is absolutely correct. Don't forget that the laws vary from state to state as well!

99dodge1500

I agree with drgreg completely. No I am not displaying my license plate number, it is going to be something like U.S.M.C 372-908 or U.S.ARMY 372-908. I am just trying to make it be more noticeable, Which the cops just love!:razz:

Green_gator

If you are concerned about it my advice is to see if you can find the appropriate state stature. If that does not work go to your local DMV/Sherrif/Police and ask them. The other option is to talk to an attorney that is licensed in your state. May cost a couple of nickles but they will give you a legal opinion with some merit.

N1265

The only time I have ever heard of anybody having any trouble is when they put " for official use only " on the vehicle, and then it was with military people, not the local / state cops.

I would think that with all of the trucks that are out there with military markings that if there was a law against it someone would of gotten a ticket by now, and the news of it would spread like wild fire threw the MV sites...

ABN173

The only time I have ever heard of anybody having any trouble is when they put " for official use only " on the vehicle, and then it was with military people, not the local / state cops.

I would think that with all of the trucks that are out there with military markings that if there was a law against it someone would of gotten a ticket by now, and the news of it would spread like wild fire threw the MV sites...

Ok My M1008 came with "FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY" on the door, nobody seemed to mind except one guard at the gate of FT Lewis, Here was my solution:
(Most everyone seemed to at least crack a smile if they don't break down and laugh)

Attachments

Jones

I'd say that the fact that you're marking a 10" lifted Suburban with civvy Hummer wheels would make it pretty obvious that you're not trying to impersonate any known military vehicle.
Just make sure your civilian license plates are properly displayed-- that should keep you out of trouble.

Again, that's just my opinion.

gunboy1656

I would say a lifted surburban on hummer wheels is going to get you noticed, for one.

The fact that your not going to put your civilian plate on a civilian vehicle is really going to get you noticed, in a bad way.

Most MV's when they get into civy hands have to display a plate, yes I know some state are different.

Personally i would not take the chane on a ticket for no reason, plate it and be safe. keep your money in your pocket and not someone elses.

Also, do you live in one of the state that allows you to paint on your numbers? If not you may be changing the laws for those states that do.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also agree with the "legal advice" warnings above. What I previously shared should have had a disclaimer that it was opinion only.

As for my point concerning your legal "metal" state issued license plates - it seems obvious that if they are absent you will certainly be stopped and ticketed. MV's operated by the military do not have tags - or even bolt holes to mount them. If your vehicle displays the state issued tags, then (at least in my opinion) it should be evident to an LEO that anything else is "art"

To restate the basics... Check with DMV etc, and/or an attorney.

Good luck.

jimm1009

Markings

My 1.24 cents worth for here in my state of residence.

We have three options for registering our MVs. Normal, everyday plate like cars and trucks have, antique plates for 25 years or older vehicles, and registering "in leiu of license plate" by stenciling the Military VIN or serial number on the truck in the appropriate area of the front and rear.
I would never put a license plate on a MV unless forced to and I would have the state legislation take the appropriate action to allow MV owners to operate without a plate which is not the same as not operating without being registering or insured.
So as not to digress too far, the markings depend on the paint scheme from the era in which it was painted or repainted.
If you have a restored or closely restored Deuce as an example, the unit markings go on the front bumper and the rear bumperettes. According to the manuals for marking and painting this is correct for the Army and Marines. Airforce does not use the same marking requirements as does the Navy and I do not have knowledge of their requirements.
Any way, the point is this, if you have a restored deuce, then you have certain markings that are required to be stenciled in place as if it were still an Active Duty truck. To be correct as an collector should have it for show or contest, then all those same markings need to be in place in order to gain points. I would use this as my argument.
I would also consult the above mentioned groups as well using the free-public offices first and if they tell you that you are indeed illegal in your markings then it is because of a certain law and make them show that law to you in writing.
Basically we can do almost anything we want to do in persuit of our happiness here in the US until such point that it interfers with the rights of others so make them show you exactly where it says the you can't do it. It is only against the law if there is actually a law stating that you can't do something.
This is for genuine former military vehicles and does not count for civy cars and trucks obviously.
Good luck and let us know how things work out and what they say.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see it being a major issue so long as you are not displaying numbers from a current unit.