• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it Illegal?

99dodge1500

I will be displaying a metal tag because it is a civilian vehicle, The lift and tires was a big thing for me, what kind of army would have one of those, a pretty badass one.

chaplain

Ok, here are the real problems.

1.) Your out for a typical cruise by the Rio Grand and some drug runners think your a military patrol and attack you.

2.) We go to war with canada and they think your a combatant.

3.) No seriously, who is going to enforce it. A police officer pulls you over for speeding (deuce joke) and sees the emblem. I promise you he's probably ex-military and will be so busy talking about old times and his deuce memories it won't matter. I don't know of any laws for recreating a vintage truck. many texans who buy the older classic cars are now driving around with classic plates. I am sure you will be ok as long as your intent is not fraud.

m.walker

I bought my crew cab from GL and it still said U.S. AIRFORCE official use only on it . So when I painted it I put it right back on . I was running plates on it registered to me though . Do it and say your honoring the men in service ! I've even picked up stuff from different bases that I bought from GL and no problems . I think if you drive normal and aren't breaking any laws they don't have any reason to bother you .

Attachments

Last edited:

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because there isn't any good reason to get hassled doesn't mean that you won't. As an example, I had a Crown Victoria with an amber arrow stick on the rear deck. What a friggin hassle. No markings, civilian plates, no strobes, red or blue lights. The neighborr kids burnt it to the ground believing it was a cop car. They keep their distance now that I have the deuce.........

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I enjoy riding around Post in a current painted and marked MV and have the other poug's/non combat arms wanna be's look up and see my son riding shot gun and go nuts about it thinking its a active duty truck. .... and no , the plate on the back or window seems not to fase them as they talk about it. :roll: I love it

littlebob

Every state has different laws. Check with your local DMV and State Police. It might take a few tries to get the right answer, but make sure you can find a document in your states laws that you can keep in the truck, we have so many laws these days the guy that pulls you over may not know them all.

99dodge1500

So went to go get the suburban today (the one that was getting the paint) and the guys employee smashed it with a forklift:cry:. To bad I didnt have a camera to show you guys either, so now im looking for a gas burban, or a cucv. Anyone have a 1008 or 1009 for sale in north Illinois.

omega231

that really sucks dodge. some people can be so careless

Just because there isn't any good reason to get hassled doesn't mean that you won't. As an example, I had a Crown Victoria with an amber arrow stick on the rear deck. What a friggin hassle. No markings, civilian plates, no strobes, red or blue lights. The neighborr kids burnt it to the ground believing it was a cop car. They keep their distance now that I have the deuce.........
they certainly are intimidating arnt they?

99dodge1500

Yeah but the funny thing was that he tried to sell me a Chevy Caprice with a huge lift on it and it had 24 inch rims on it.:evil: Lifts are for trucks not cars, the only cars that should have lifts are gassers. I laughed at him and asked if it could it could go through a mud bog. He just gave me this really serious look and said he had to go.:-D

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So went to go get the suburban today (the one that was getting the paint) and the guys employee smashed it with a forklift:cry:. To bad I didnt have a camera to show you guys either, so now im looking for a gas burban, or a cucv. Anyone have a 1008 or 1009 for sale in north Illinois.

Maybe he was applying to GL and they said he didn't have enough experiance? rofl

99dodge1500

I remember hearing abut some one at GL with a bad experience:p. I might of already found a different suburban anyway. But if any one has a cucv let me know still.:-D

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce doesn't have plates.... Not required to (see the thread in the politics forum or refer to Jimms post). Mine are on the door.

Were you in? I was A Btry 1/12 Kaneohe MCAS.....

Attachments

99dodge1500

kendelrio, I am not or was in the marines, I am still only 17, but been talking to my parents about joining but they won't let me and they are trying to get me out of thinking about it, so I figured I can be a coast guard like my uncle.

KyCUCVs

Kentucky has an updated copy of the Kentucky Revised Statutes posted on the internet. (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/titles.htm) There’s a link on the home page to other states’ legislatures homepages where you can access their state laws. (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/ ) They might be a pain to search through, but are actually easy to read.

In Kentucky, KRS 186.005 requires metal license plates on all vehicles registered in the state.

As far as driving a surplus vehicle that still has a military appearance, the closest thing I could find in the state laws was KRS 434.444 – Misrepresenting current or former military status. The law was designed to prevent people from benefiting from false claims of military service. So unless you are driving your duce and a half to the local Krispy Kreme, wearing a current military uniform in order to get the military discount, you probably don’t have anything to worry about. Section (2)(e) specifically excludes collectors of militaria:

(2) This section shall not apply to a person who or an organization which:

(e) Owns, displays, purchases, sells, or trades militaria, including but not limited to medals, ribbons, and rank insignia, and does not claim to have personally earned them unless he or she is legally entitled to do so;

But as others have stated before, if the authorities want to hassle you, there’s always a general, all purpose law that can be made to apply. You may have the right to keep and bear arms, but try walking down Broadway with your deer rifle!

Of course, once you drive onto a Federal Installation within the state, a whole new set of rules take over. And every post has their own interpretation. Good luck there. I just make sure I have all documentation (registration, insurance card, drivers license), that all safety equipment on the vehicle works and safety belt is on. It’s also a good idea to not be on the cell phone or wear surplus BDU caps, jackets, etc. I haven’t had any problems.

dcwilkie

Call or go to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in your state. They will have the definitive answer.
You can usually Google the DMV for your state and look up the reg on their website.

Last edited:

paulfarber

In PA if the plates are antique /historic then you MUST have restored the vehicle to the original condition. They DO ask for photos when you apply for historic plates.

So I know from my 42 GPW that military markings are not a big deal. Granted I do not have 'US ARMY' or 'Official Use Only' on it, but the markings are correct. There are stars and unit markings.... but thats it.

Also, people own cop cars with full painted shields on the doors, numbers etc. I see them at car shows. Not just the old cars, but new ones also. They had state plates on them.

GoHot229

Yeah but the funny thing was that he tried to sell me a Chevy Caprice with a huge lift on it and it had 24 inch rims on it.:evil: Lifts are for trucks not cars, the only cars that should have lifts are gassers. I laughed at him and asked if it could it could go through a mud bog. He just gave me this really serious look and said he had to go.:-D
I believe what you encountered was a 'DONK' car. Down here in NC. they are quite the rage, and are most often done rather nicely. Primarily a Ethnic thing'Blacks", I gave been stoped in my tracks by two or three headed for the car shows, stunning things, and not just for looks, but some hi horspower units, able to light up those 24" wheels and tires. I 'spose when you asked him if it could 'BOG', that it was an insult that mabe, mabe not was directed to him, thus his thinking (he just dont get it).....ie. you.

99dodge1500

I actually believe it was a bubble, because of the year, I will be going to the DMV to talk about this to them, No he got exactly what I was saying he just took it as an insult. Which I thought was funny.:razz: