• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it Illegal?

Midnight Rider

Well I'm from Illinois and I have been driving my 1009 around everyday for about 6-7 months. It has several markings on it, I don't know what they mean, but I'm not removing them. I do have license plates on it as well.

Several cops have seen me and didn't seem to care other than the fact that they probably have never seen a CUCV in the area before. I think I'm the first.

There isn't any sort of militray base too close to where I live. There are National Guard places fairly close, but I believe they only use Hummers, no CUCVs.

I am pretty sure that your 10" lift is illegal in IL. I was told my a State Trooper at a traffic course class (speeding ticket) that 4" over stock is all that is allowed. I believe IL cracked down on lifted trucks because of several accidents where people were seriously hurt or killed by being rear-ended by a lifted truck. I know of a local lady that was rear-ended by a lifted truck. The trucks bumper completely cleared the top of the trunk of the car and caved in the roof area onto her. She has been in assisted living since that time.

On a side note, I do know that there are SEVERAL trucks in my area that are way over the lift limit and the cops don't do anything about it. I do live in a small town so that could be part of the situation. I also don't know how high that law ranks compared to others or even if all of the officers know about it. That's not to say that if you are stopped for something else, they won't get you for the lift as well.

Like I said though, a State Trooper told me that years ago and he could have been wrong. I would just check with the DMV. I think IL has some of the laws published online even.

Also, window tinting is illegal in IL. That sucks!

99dodge1500

The Illinois lift law has to do on how much your trucks GVWR is the heavier it is the more lift you can have, and there is a frame lift law on the bumper law too. You are not aloud to have the body lifted of the frame more than 3 inches. I do agree on the window tint, it sucks.