• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it too heavy?

Green Toys

Ok so I know that these trucks will move the world, but I am going about 30 miles to go get a cat 312 excavator, the total weight will be about 58,500. I hope it will run at least 50MPH. Should I try it or use a different truck, My 5 ton has overdrive with 395's on it. I love the truck but dont want to blow it Up!

area52

What truck do you have? Tractor? or what??? Does the trailer ( I assume the excavator is on a trailer) have brakes that will work with your truck?

Pretty vague post - need more info.

Scout

Yeah - but he said "tag trailer" which I would assume to be pintle hook, not 5th wheel. That's a lot of weight for that setup - you could have 20-30,000 lbs of tongue weight. If the machine is roughly 60k, and the trailer probably is in the 10k range - figure 2/3 of the load on the trailer axles and 1/3 on the truck, 70/3 = 23,000 lbs. I think you're pushing it.

Green Toys

All good tips, I live in central Florida, it flat. The truck and trailer both have very good brakes, I have a class A licence, with quite a bit of experience transporting. My avatar pic me pulling my mud truck, an ex-military 20k lbs mb23 aircraft tug. It pulled it ok on. My gooseneck trailer, w/electric brakes.

Green Toys

Jasonjc, I have heard that before, I figure ill be fine as long as don't pump the pedal, I have pulled a 50 ton lowboy, with out the pressure dropping. It was empty but still 20k. It pulled, and stopped great, it was able to lock up the tires.

Scout

Yeah - but he said "tag trailer" which I would assume to be pintle hook, not 5th wheel. That's a lot of weight for that setup - you could have 20-30,000 lbs of tongue weight. If the machine is roughly 60k, and the trailer probably is in the 10k range - figure 2/3 of the load on the trailer axles and 1/3 on the truck, 70/3 = 23,000 lbs. I think you're pushing it.
I read that as the MACHINE being almost 60k, a Cat 312 is half that - you'll be fine. I've hauled almost 40k of hay on and behind my 813.