• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is legit cruise control on a 3116 possible...?

ppillard

Hey crew, I just did a search for "3116 cruise control" and came up snake eyes, as did my youtube search. I see the generic cruise kits promising one size fits all (highly unlikely).

Have any of you ever done this? I know I could use the hand throttle, but I was hoping for a legit cruise control that cancels with application of the brake pedal.

Ronmar

The issue you will probably run into is finding one with a servo motor large enough to hold the governor linkage. With mechanical diesel on the decline, i would expect these to become even harder to find.

It might be easier and more practical to build a cancelling mechanism for the hand throttle. This could be done using an air cylinder, a solenoid valve sampling the brake light switches and a position switch on the hand throttle. Basically the solenoid would energize any time you stepped on the brakes IF the hand throttle was above the idle position… this would send air to the cylinder pushing the hand throttle back to the idle position…

Last edited:

Crazyguyla

I haven't worked on a civilian cummins in some time, but if I remember correctly, the cruse control is in the ECM. The switch needs to be wired to the correct pins.

Ronmar

I haven't worked on a civilian cummins in some time, but if I remember correctly, the cruse control is in the ECM. The switch needs to be wired to the correct pins.
Yep in the ECU controlled engines, it often is. The Cat 3126 and C7 engines have it also just need to add some wiring to the ECU connectors. The A0 trucks have the all mechanical 3116 engine so it needs extra equipment to hold the throttle and automatically cancell…

coachgeo

The issue you will probably run into is finding one with a servo motor large enough to hold the governor linkage....
Ron would it not be just as easy to create a mechanical advantage in the linkage for the servo motor's cable to pull on? In my feeble mind, was thinking of an extended arm added to the linkage for this purpose... it hits me just now though ....could one also fab up some pulleys for mechanical advantage too? or would that slow the deceleration reaction time?

also is there maybe a built in mechanical advantage already somewhere in the linkage to hand throttle one could tug on instead of the typical mount of cable going to the throttle linkage on the engine?

Last edited:

Ronmar

Ron would it not be just as easy to create a mechanical advantage in the linkage for the servo motor's cable to pull on? In my feeble mind, was thinking of an extended arm added to the linkage for this purpose... it hits me just now though ....could one also fab up some pulleys for mechanical advantage too? or would that slow the deceleration reaction time?

also is there maybe a built in mechanical advantage already somewhere in the linkage to hand throttle one could tug on instead of the typical mount of cable going to the throttle linkage on the engine?
Sounds like a lot of complex engineering and fab. There is not a lot of wirking area on top of the engine. It Also sounds like a lot of room added to fail.

It would be easier IMO to replace the servo on an existing diesel CC system with one up to the task.

And easier and less complex still to build the hand lever cancel(3 components and some basic wiring)…

Last edited:

spankybear

When I get around to it I am going to call these guys and see if they can help. I owuld think you could tap into the speed signal from the trans...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The 3406Bs had a module that had a chain that pulled on the rack arm. That would be simple and use a switch on the brake pedal to drop the voltage. Also had a couple of customers with "B" that had a throttle lock just an aluminum track with a rod that slid in it and when you turned on the switch the air cylinder locked the throttle position.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey crew, I just did a search for "3116 cruise control" and came up snake eyes, as did my youtube search. I see the generic cruise kits promising one size fits all (highly unlikely).

Have any of you ever done this? I know I could use the hand throttle, but I was hoping for a legit cruise control that cancels with application of the brake pedal.
This is just an opinion on cruise control more than cruise control on our trucks but they both have far reaching effects once things go wrong ! i like some others on here have made their livings on the road in commercial vehicles and we all have seen the awful accidents over the years with trucks and buses and after 40 + years in a commercial vehicle i think cruise control in a vehicle over 8 to 10 thousand pounds should be illegal and i can hear the grumbling already but after seeing so many straight line no brake launches into the woods or medians into oncoming traffic by fully asleep commercial drivers locked in at 70 mph leaving the asphalt under power till something other than themselves stops them its like playing russian roulett with up to 80,000 pound rocket ! I know i have pushed the limits to a criminal level thousands of times over my 2.5 million miles in trucks and busses but i never used a cruise control because if i looked down at that speedometer and im doing 50 or 55 i know im beat up and either need to take a nap or stop and get out run around the vehicle spray water in my face but bottom line get my shiet togeather or shut it down ! We the army surplus truck owners and drivers have no need to have to drive so far that we cant push the accelerator down ourselves on our mostly short trips out sight seeing and camping there is no deadlines to meet no clock to chase so the thought of (rigging) some kind of homeade contraption to hold the throttle open on your 20 + thousand pound projectile and hope it disengages when you ask it to in the miliseconds it take to escape a crash no matter whos at fault . Slow down take your time and enjoy yourself your not hauling freight your on a camping trip !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is just an opinion on cruise control more than cruise control on our trucks but they both have far reaching effects once things go wrong ! i like some others on here have made their livings on the road in commercial vehicles and we all have seen the awful accidents over the years with trucks and buses and after 40 + years in a commercial vehicle i think cruise control in a vehicle over 8 to 10 thousand pounds should be illegal and i can hear the grumbling already but after seeing so many straight line no brake launches into the woods or medians into oncoming traffic by fully asleep commercial drivers locked in at 70 mph leaving the asphalt under power till something other than themselves stops them its like playing russian roulett with up to 80,000 pound rocket ! I know i have pushed the limits to a criminal level thousands of times over my 2.5 million miles in trucks and busses but i never used a cruise control because if i looked down at that speedometer and im doing 50 or 55 i know im beat up and either need to take a nap or stop and get out run around the vehicle spray water in my face but bottom line get my shiet togeather or shut it down ! We the army surplus truck owners and drivers have no need to have to drive so far that we cant push the accelerator down ourselves on our mostly short trips out sight seeing and camping there is no deadlines to meet no clock to chase so the thought of (rigging) some kind of homeade contraption to hold the throttle open on your 20 + thousand pound projectile and hope it disengages when you ask it to in the miliseconds it take to escape a crash no matter whos at fault . Slow down take your time and enjoy yourself your not hauling freight your on a camping trip !
Chucky, That is a nice explanation for what I had been thinking all along. Lawyers do what they do best when YOU (any of us) screw up. Trying to cobble something together for speed control is just asking for trouble. Glad you worked up that piece above (Post #13).

Tim

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chucky, That is a nice explanation for what I had been thinking all along. Lawyers do what they do best when YOU (any of us) screw up. Trying to cobble something together for speed control is just asking for trouble. Glad you worked up that piece above (Post #13).

Tim
Not trying to be all dramatic but theres no difference youve been up all day you eat dinner take off down the road now its 3 or 4 in the morning you might as well be hanging your pistol out the window and pulling the trigger at everyone you pass or passes you cause after sand man takes over its just a matter of seconds till you hit something or a car full of somebodys ! under full power !

Ronmar

Not trying to be all dramatic but theres no difference youve been up all day you eat dinner take off down the road now its 3 or 4 in the morning you might as well be hanging your pistol out the window and pulling the trigger at everyone you pass or passes you cause after sand man takes over its just a matter of seconds till you hit something or a car full of somebodys ! under full power !
Had a project manager on a patrol boat project I was working on who was adamant that no mic or control head would be placed in the overhad of the pilot house, citing a navy study that suggested that swinging mic cords would hyptonize and put crew members to sleep while on watch. Of course the first thing the captains did was have the radio control heads re-located to the overhead where it was practical from an operators standpoint to have them to efficiently operate the vessel. Of course their experience also told them easilly that if you have crew falling asleep on watch, you have a crew rest issue, and not a swinging mic cord issue:)

Point being, if you are tired enough to leave your lane while driving, cruise control or no, you are probably going to leave your lane and shouldn’t be driving at that time. IE: it is not a machine issue it is an operator issue…

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Had a project manager on a patrol boat project I was working on who was adamant that no mic or control head would be placed in the overhad of the pilot house, citing a navy study that suggested that swinging mic cords would hyptonize and put crew members to sleep while on watch. Of course the first thing the captains did was have the radio control heads re-located to the overhead where it was practical from an operators standpoint to have them to efficiently operate the vessel. Of course their experience also told them easilly that if you have crew falling asleep on watch, you have a crew rest issue, and not a swinging mic cord issue:)

Point being, if you are tired enough to leave your lane while driving, cruise control or no, you are probably going to leave your lane and shouldn’t be driving at that time. IE: it is not a machine issue it is an operator issue…
Yes Sir. You are Dead (no pun intended) Right!
Pretty much what Chucky had said before too.

Multiple angles of tired caused the problem more than anything.
Well stated Ronmar!

Ned81

I used to work at a custom stereo shop. We installed power windows, power locks , and Cruise Control in cars all the time. The cruise controls were vacuum operated off the engine vacuum. It came with a turn signal type control, had a brain that needed power, ground , brake, and rpm connected. The throttle linkage was pulled by a vacuum canister controlled by the brain. Pretty simple really.

Update. Did a quick search. This is basically an updated version

Rostra 250-1223 Universal Electronic Cruise Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZCQD9...abc_JESKP25FW5FEMWMZ3SY6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks