• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is legit cruise control on a 3116 possible...?

spankybear

I used to work at a custom stereo shop. We installed power windows, power locks , and Cruise Control in cars all the time. The cruise controls were vacuum operated off the engine vacuum. It came with a turn signal type control, had a brain that needed power, ground , brake, and rpm connected. The throttle linkage was pulled by a vacuum canister controlled by the brain. Pretty simple really.

Update. Did a quick search. This is basically an updated version

Rostra 250-1223 Universal Electronic Cruise Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZCQD9...abc_JESKP25FW5FEMWMZ3SY6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See my post above and you have all the contact info for the company that makes that. They have a tech line that you can ask. I just haven't had the time to call...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a project manager on a patrol boat project I was working on who was adamant that no mic or control head would be placed in the overhad of the pilot house, citing a navy study that suggested that swinging mic cords would hyptonize and put crew members to sleep while on watch. Of course the first thing the captains did was have the radio control heads re-located to the overhead where it was practical from an operators standpoint to have them to efficiently operate the vessel. Of course their experience also told them easilly that if you have crew falling asleep on watch, you have a crew rest issue, and not a swinging mic cord issue:)

Point being, if you are tired enough to leave your lane while driving, cruise control or no, you are probably going to leave your lane and shouldn’t be driving at that time. IE: it is not a machine issue it is an operator issue…
The point is not that you/anyone might get to tired to maintain your lane because there will never be an end to drivers falling asleep its that when they do fall asleep they are not locked in at 70 on cruise on dry flat interstate the driver that falls asleep with no cruise and goes into median usally coast to some kind of stop the ones locked in on cruise usally make it across the median under full power and into oncoming traffic with more death envolved ! And this statement will insite rioting by some but these cats driving trucks now are in NO way as qualified to be behind the wheel and the rest are retiring and every 5th vehicle on the road today is a commercial vehicle and my local nashville tv news every morning and i mean every morning starts off with semi's turned over on the interstate ! The last hour before and during sun up is the toughest hour and a half on the commercial vehicles of the entire 24 hr period and at this point the industy will hand you a set of keys if you can spell the word truck or bus ! I hate to go on these kind of rants but if this rant saves 1 life it was worth it . The guys and gals that drive for a living know this is a big problem my frind was a TN state trooper for 35 yrs and a crash investigator and so many times hes climbed into wreckrd trucks and the cruise switch still flipped on !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The point is not that you/anyone might get to tired to maintain your lane because there will never be an end to drivers falling asleep its that when they do fall asleep they are not locked in at 70 on cruise on dry flat interstate the driver that falls asleep with no cruise and goes into median usally coast to some kind of stop the ones locked in on cruise usally make it across the median under full power and into oncoming traffic with more death envolved ! And this statement will insite rioting by some but these cats driving trucks now are in NO way as qualified to be behind the wheel and the rest are retiring and every 5th vehicle on the road today is a commercial vehicle and my local nashville tv news every morning and i mean every morning starts off with semi's turned over on the interstate ! The last hour before and during sun up is the toughest hour and a half on the commercial vehicles of the entire 24 hr period and at this point the industy will hand you a set of keys if you can spell the word truck or bus ! I hate to go on these kind of rants but if this rant saves 1 life it was worth it . The guys and gals that drive for a living know this is a big problem my frind was a TN state trooper for 35 yrs and a crash investigator and so many times hes climbed into wreckrd trucks and the cruise switch still flipped on !
We cannot legislate nor fix stupid or tired.
Sometimes following the rules helps too.

Been a few years, but we had a sleeper truck run into a bridge abutment on I-85 going through the middle of town. No skid marks. No witnesses. No survivors. Best guess was cruise control and a driver asleep at the wheel. They came around a long slow curve, never straightened the wheel and that was the end. Just about daylight...

That burn mark where it crashed and caught fire was there for several months.
I saw it as a reminder to every body on the road.
Lots of other folks complained that "it should have been painted over" to save those families the anguish.

spankybear

Yep, except there is no vacuum on a diesel… You would need a vac pump and reservoir. providing they make a model with enough force to pull the linkage on the 3116 governor…
You didn't read the link... NO VACUUM needed. It only need electrons...

Ronmar

From the link I posted... I know reading the link I posted it hard...

View attachment 846149
See my post above and you have all the contact info for the company that makes that. They have a tech line that you can ask. I just haven't had the time to call...
I didn't read your link(i get pointed to lots of links) but i was responding to YOUR comment to the person referring to vac cruise where you said:

“See my post above and you have all the contact info for the company THAT MAKES THAT”.

By your use of the word “that” I inferred you were talking about vac operated cruise. My apologies if i misunderstood YOUR words…

spankybear

I didn't read your link(i get pointed to lots of links) but i was responding to YOUR comment to the person referring to vac cruise where you said:

“See my post above and you have all the contact info for the company THAT MAKES THAT”.

By your use of the word “that” I inferred you were talking about vac operated cruise. My apologies if i misunderstood YOUR words…
I haven't seen a vacuum controlled unit aftermarket one for sale in years... Are they even still available besides NOS if you can find? Anyway the one from Rostra is electric and I would believe the servo would work. the only thing is the speed sensor. They make one that is like the old put magnets on the drive shaft but I would like to see if I can tap into the trans speed sensor. I just haven't gotten around to asking them. They have a tech support number that you could call. I just haven't had the time. I want better seats first and need to find some seats I like...

coachgeo

I am sure you can sample speed sensor, may require some sort of isolation as it is already driving speedo and CTIS…
they make two different universal kits..... one for vehicles WITH an existing speed sensor you can tap into and one for those where you do not have that option where you use a seperately purchased magnetic pickup that they sell.

also saw they have what they call a 2504198 throttle multiplier adapter... which may be adaptable to give a leverage advantage to reduce stress on the servo

Ronmar

In fact you might be able to use the freq divider box used by the STE to sample the tach sensor without loading down the signal. They call it a freq divider, but the circuit looks more like an isolation amp…

coachgeo

also saw they have what they call a 2504198 throttle multiplier adapter... which may be adaptable to give a leverage advantage to reduce stress on the servo
just throwing this out there as something that might work (or something similar) to add an arm to existing throttle system for similar reasons as mentioned above

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks