• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the HMMWV EPA or DOT certified

gem1410

Can anyone help me on this--I may purchase a HMMWV in Mexico--I would have to import it through customs--Customs says any vehical coming back into the US must meet DOT and EPA standards--Are there any stickers anywhere stating anything about emissions or dot--Thanks George

deuceman51

Yup, on the engine it says that this vehicle has been exempted from EPA standards. I'm not 100% sure what all has to change on the HMMWV to make it "street legal", but that is part of the reason the gov quit selling hummers through surplus. They don't want people to have them and they don't meet DOT standards. I'm sure someone else on here has more to input on this, I just fix them for a living for the military.

m35tech

Good Luck on the re-importation I bet you will find out it must meet EPA and DOT standards.... Emissions, Lights, seat belts, and key start.... to name a few...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They wont make it thru customs. It DOESNT meet the DOT laws, and is exempted from EPA.. There are plenty in the states already legally titled. Save yourself alot of pain and suffering and buy one here...

dilvoy

I believe that after 25 years of age a vehicle can be brought in even if it dosen't meet DOT specs for it's year of manufacture, unless it has changed recently.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How cheap is the one in Mexico? It would have to be a serious bargin to deal with all the import bull.

datsunaholic

I've seen a HMMWV with an EPA Compliance sticker on the valve cover (the HMMWV even had a Catalytic converter, first I'd ever seen on a diesel). The sticker said it MET EPA requirements for that year. This was a fairly new, 2000 or 2001 model year "Heavy Variant" M1097A2 with the 6.5L engine that my unit had (it had less than 300 miles on it when we got it in 2002). The CUCVs we had had stickers stating they were exempt. I found that odd.

However the truck didn't meet DOT requirements. I recall something about the non-collapsable steering column. But it had the DOT spec mirrors with the "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" lettering.

wdbtchr

I'd hate to start some ... .... .. _ but maybe you could find some Illegals sneaking across the border and have them drive it over.:stir pot:

Seriously, I assume it would have to be compliant before entering, but I wonder how you would get it certified over there first. Inquiring minds want to know.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The earlier model plain and A1 models didnt meet EPA specs.. The later ones do. But no matter what year, they are not DOT compliant. Non padded dashes, no colapsable steering column, even the turn and stop lights arent DOT compliant. The new LED Grote and Trucklite ones are, but older "been around for dozens of years" styles arent..

flighht2k5

Banned
The earlier model plain and A1 models didnt meet EPA specs.. The later ones do. But no matter what year, they are not DOT compliant. Non padded dashes, no colapsable steering column, even the turn and stop lights arent DOT compliant. The new LED Grote and Trucklite ones are, but older "been around for dozens of years" styles arent..
I dont understand that, my unimog doesnt have padded dash collapsable steering or seat belts and I had no troubles registering it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree.. I didnt have any trouble with registering my HMMWV, 45 MB, or M35A2C. Granted, there were all within the US already, and either had titles or SF-97's..

Problem your going to have IMPORTING one into the US is the customs people DO know what to look for..

Good thing the DMV people dont talk to the DOT people... Else we'd all have problems.....

gem1410

I was at the sale in Atlanta at the Bishop Brothers Auction when all these were first auctioned off--I bought two--A runner for $19000 and non runner for $16800 which had a broken alt. bracket--They both were in good shape--The auction offered everyone a Ga. title for an extra $100--What a deal--I thought if something left the country and you could show the paperwork trail you could bring back anything--Not so as I am finding out--Customs has no direct answers as I was referred to their website and DOT only has recorded general information on their listed phone numbers--I tried custom brokers who said there is a good chance the HMMVW would not get back in the country and Customs could cost me money if they grab it for special inspections (drugs) and want it moved at my expense --Thank you all for your help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks