• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the oilpan supposed to have this??

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, dropped the pan today, and found out why the 250 sounded like a garbage disposal. Looks like the #5 liner grenaded. Piston is still in the top part of the liner, so no "apparent" damage to the block. Will pull the head tomorrow and see if we can figure out "why" this happened.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think that's covered in the TM...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
File a claim with GL. I'm sure they said it Starts and Runs.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rofl Yeah, I'm sure they will give you a partial return on your money.

Sucks what happened. Seems to have been maybe a crack in the liner. Do the pieces of the liner show any pitting on the outside of it?

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think you broke it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow Pete! Must be the year for shattered liners. Stretch just had one in his M108 go after the MVPA nationals in Dayton.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine wasn't loud when it went. It was idling and started knocking. It's amazing how much metal a broken liner makes!

Hoping the bore is okay in my engine, haven't pulled the heads yet.

dozer1

Subscribed. My bet is that there will be collateral damage to the block or crank, rendering an engine that encounters that failure useless. Sucks to see that happen. You probably know that if you can find a good running takeout, that is most likely the most economical way to repair your truck. Keep us posted on the repair .

APM215

I have seen this happen on larger diesels before. Cat 3412 and even the EMD 710. Every time I have seen this happen it was caused by the “pee pipe” failing and that cylinder overheating due to a lack of lubrication and cooling by the oil. The cylinder liner and the piston swell from the heat and the piston seizes in the TDC position. Then, on the down stroke the con-rod is ripped off the bottom of the piston and slaps around in the liner until it destroys it. Sometimes it hits the piston again and pushes it up into the head and valves. After the con-rod slaps around for a while and the end of it is low enough to clear the liner, it will punch its way out the side of the block. Here are pics of a 3412 gen-set that did the same thing.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks