• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is the oilpan supposed to have this??

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Man.....that looks serious.

My logger buddy says this is not uncommon for Cummins engines that sit for long periods of time.

He bought a M915 that ran like a champ for a few days and then all of a sudden there was water in the oil......he said a liner went.

The good news is that they are a lot of parts trucks coming up on an unnamed gooberment surplus sales site at a location a few states away from you.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the oil just prior to loading for the rally, old oil looked fine, nothing milky. Antifreeze also clean. Jus one of them things, I reckon.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't reuse the rod, the upper got hot. No damage to the crown, that eliminates pin bore cracks. If the engine was a "fresh" rebuild, could be from a rolled liner packing o-ring. If it has miles on it, it wasn't uncommon to have single hole failures on small cam and BCI engnes thet were run at rated for extended time periods. Find a new cylinder kit and put it together. Don't mix the three and four ring pistons.

dozer1

Glad to hear the damage was as minimal as it was. With all that iron in the pan I thought it was toast. Anyway there are probably many good parts suppliers out there. Clark truck set me up with sleeves and rings last winter when I rebuilt my dumptruck engine.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate waiting on parts.....won't be here till Monday. Went ahead and ordered all 6, not that much more labor to go ahead and start with all fresh liners and gaskets. Had the head magna-fluxed and it checked out OK. Guess I'll put an airpack in a deuce and mirror bars on another one this weekend.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took the rest of the 5 liners out today. 4 of them looked brand new, BUT, #3 piston looked like #5. All scored up and evidence of heat buildup. Inside of the liner was pretty scored up on the bottom half. So it was getting ready to crap out. Good thing I went ahead and got all 6 piston sets. The motor had 3-ring pistons and the new ones I got are 4-ring. Hopefully they will last longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks