• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a clutch option?

hemichallenger

I have a lds that we have flowed the injectors and turned up the pump and can not get the stock clutch to not slip. I have had it out and replaced everything with new, turned the flywheel had it back out and can not get the clutch to stop slipping in the top 2 gears under hard axcelaration. I can turn the fuel back and it is ok or with the 900x20s it will not slip. With the 395s I have the problem. So I think I need a stronger clutch. So I am looking for something that is stronger and will take more torque.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are you using the 5 finger truck-type clutch or the round one(there are 2 types)? You think a pressure plate with stronger springs might work?

hemichallenger

Are you using the 5 finger truck-type clutch or the round one(there are 2 types)? You think a pressure plate with stronger springs might work?
No it had a 4 finger and I replaced it with the same. It could be possable a better plate would fix it. I am willing to try anything. I did not know there was anything else.

gimpyrobb

You say 4 finger, are you talking about the clutch or PP? There are 4 finger and 3 finger PP. Some of the 4 finger PP have screws to "pre load" the springs. Then there are 5 finger clutches and round ones. Got any pics?

gimpyrobb

You might want to check the pre-load on the springs. I will try to get a pic of where adjustments can be made tonight.

Jtspendy

If you still have problems you can look at having an old clutch rebuilt by one of the shops that does the tractor pull trucks and tractors, they can build you a really strong wild clutch if you want to spend the cash

gimpyrobb

Alright, I got home and looked at it, the adjustment I was talking about is for the throw out arms, not the PP spring pressure. I have a good take out I could send if you wanted to try a different one.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds more like an adjustment problem. HAve you confirmed that the TO bearing is completely clearing the PP fingers? Is the PP sitting fully against the flywheel?

What RPM does it slip at?

treeguy

How common is this issue when swapping in an LDS and adding larger tires? The theory does make sense why the clutch wouldn't slip with the 9.00 tires. I bet it does if you applied the hand brake (no matter what size tire)?

gimpyrobb

Nah, I have a strong LDS in my truck and have had over 10,000lbs of cargo back there with 395s, no issues at all.

I never thought about it till now, while you were doing the clutch etc, did you fill the transmission up? Maybe its puking GO out the input shaft. I have had that happen.

hemichallenger

Alright, I got home and looked at it, the adjustment I was talking about is for the throw out arms, not the PP spring pressure. I have a good take out I could send if you wanted to try a different one.
I am pretty sure that the 2 that I tryed and good. I will look through spicers clutch book and see what I can find that might work.

Last edited:

hemichallenger

This sounds more like an adjustment problem. HAve you confirmed that the TO bearing is completely clearing the PP fingers? Is the PP sitting fully against the flywheel?

What RPM does it slip at?
The fingers clear and the free play is good. It will not slip until I get it into the torque curve about 1800 -2300

hemichallenger

Nah, I have a strong LDS in my truck and have had over 10,000lbs of cargo back there with 395s, no issues at all.

I never thought about it till now, while you were doing the clutch etc, did you fill the transmission up? Maybe its puking GO out the input shaft. I have had that happen.
I changed the trans oil but I have had the trans back out since then and everything was dry. I checked the new clutch and it had seated to the plate and flywheel.

treeguy

This is a very thought provoking issue. I am not intamitely familiar with clutch issues :cookoo:, but is there any way that the throw out bearing / fork (or immediatly attached assemblies) not alowing the clutch to make full contact / pressure to give you wheel power?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
when the flywheel was turned, was there a edge left, the pp would set flat, tight against the fw, but the small edge could keep it up a bit, not allowing the disk total compression, I have seen this happen in machined fws before, sometimes machined for a different pp. It does not take much of a edge to have clutch slippage under load

gimpyrobb

A buddy mentioned to me that some PP have bolts in them to compress the springs for easy installation, then once the PP is bolted in, you remove said bolts(applying full clamping force). Yours didn't have those did it?

ODdave

A buddy mentioned to me that some PP have bolts in them to compress the springs for easy installation, then once the PP is bolted in, you remove said bolts(applying full clamping force). Yours didn't have those did it?
I have only seen this on 2 stage clutches But I am curious if they ever used this on a single. Good point Rob.