• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is this a M1008 Dana rear axle?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: more photos of rear axle

If you have them for sale on the 4X4 bulletin boards it might go higher than Epay. I put one just like it under my son's 99 TJ Wrangler since he kept blowing out the POC Dana 35. I did not give much for the one I bought but it was used. If my son is looking for an upgrade to new components he might be interested but the housing would not be kept as I welded all the spring perches and long arm kit mounts on his and I am not home to re-do all that work. He is up in Baltimore so if he wants it he may sound off I would make sure he pays a fair price.

dependable

The new one I bought is the same in every way as BUILDER 77s exept the 3 didget # is 325 instead of 337. The seller listed it as "4:56 14 bolt" The 15595139 # is the same two trucks and two axel housings in the yard. the two trucks are 1028s, one fresh out of GL, one is my 12k mile garage hoger I've been sitting on. The 3 diget number varies. Do the HD DANAS 70s have the same housing or any external differences from the chev 14 bolt?

AJMBLAZER

The Dana 70 and the 14FF are different. Similar in appearance and design but different in every detail. The pictures put up just didn't provide a clear enough shot to be 100% sure. The 14FF and it's more modern progeny have an unmistakable diff cover shape.

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Besides the pinion, another quick way to tell is the hub, if you can't see the diff cover. The D70HD has a much longer hub and wheel studs to accomodate the dual wheels and the spacers.

dependable

So we are mainly talking duel vs single? I,ve swapped the differential out of a 1008 singel axel housing to a duel off a 1970s k-30. I wonder if these non removable carrier axels all have interchangable guts. I miss the old removable carrier types. Too bad my old Hollander interchange manuals don't cover military. Now I"m sounding old.

builder77sDad

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I sold the rear axles today. One man pulled the back cover from the differential, and showed me the stamped numbers 9 and 41, which he said represented the number of teeth on the two gears. So they were not only GM 10 bolts, but definitly a 4.56 gear ratio.

Thanks for the good advice guys!

Robert