• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a M920?

M1075

I haven't seen too many trucks that will make a HET truck/trailer combination look small. Check out the truck shown in the pic. I think it must be an M920 with 16.00R20 singles and I think I need one. :lol:

Attachments

jkelly66

From my experience the M920 was a replacement for the 10 ton mostly engineer units had them not regular Transportation units. I am not sure if that is a M920 pic is to small and I never seen a 920 with those idiotic super singles before

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is the M920, it has been around for a while. The image below is from the 1980 operator's manual. It's classified as a Medium Equipment Transporter (MET).
The "pusher" axle is shown with duals in the manual.

Attachments

jh1990

maddawg308 said:
No, the M1070 HET is the replacement for the M911

I must be old fashioned. Give me a M123 tractor any day....
Oops, oh well, it's not the first time I've been wrong, and probably wont be the last. What are the 920's used for? line haul? Is it me or does that thing look huge w/ super singles.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What are the 920's used for? line haul?
The M915's were the line haul tractors of that time. They had three axles, a 400 Cummings, a CAT semi-automatic transmission and no front wheel drive. The two rear axles were just like a commercial rig with a power divider. The early ones were made by AMC.
I had the dubious honor of driving one from Fort Benning, Ga. to the National Training Center in Cal. :roll:

The M916 was a three axle tractor with front wheel drive. It was used for medium hauling in rough terrain. I put a lot of miles on one in the ordnance unit I was in. We used it to haul small dozers and 6k and 10k forklifts. Same engine and tranny as the 915. Also orginally made by AMC.

The M920's were mostly in engineer units and used to haul heavy construction equipment. Some maintenence units had them for recovery and to haul their own heavy stuff. Ditto on engine/tranny and AMC.

NEIOWA

maddawg308 said:
No, the M1070 HET is the replacement for the M911

I must be old fashioned. Give me a M123 tractor any day....
"OLD FASHIONED"? Kill dinosaur before try to eatem, fire good (ugh how do that)"

jeli

I drove on a time or two. I loved the 16 speed Cat tranny. Once you got the hang of it you could really blast through the gears. I like the singles on the pic.

TacticalTruck

I went to PA yesterday to buy a residue M916 but apparently the price nearly doubled on the way up. Need less to say, I didn't buy it. Progress has been slow on my M915 and the M915A1 is finally getting here next week. I've been told the M915s w/ the Cat tranny is much faster than the M915A1 with the Allison auto. Any opinions? I'll be selling one of them and I have an extra Cat trans to down grade the A1 if necessary. I also have a line on the cab and chasis of a M919 cement truck. Guess I'll be looking for a rear winch.
Jeff

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
TacticalTruck said:
I went to PA yesterday to buy a residue M916 but apparently the price nearly doubled on the way up. Need less to say, I didn't buy it. Progress has been slow on my M915 and the M915A1 is finally getting here next week. I've been told the M915s w/ the Cat tranny is much faster than the M915A1 with the Allison auto. Any opinions? I'll be selling one of them and I have an extra Cat trans to down grade the A1 if necessary. I also have a line on the cab and chasis of a M919 cement truck. Guess I'll be looking for a rear winch.
Jeff
Boy Jeff, you are really workin on the big trucks these days. Are you going to pull your trailer to Aberdeen with the 915 next year? I would love to see one in person. I may just have to head north to see you before then. A cement truck would be incredible on that chassis. :shock:

TacticalTruck

Hey Chris
Yea, hopefully I'll bring a M915 next year but you missunderstand, the M919 is a cement truck. The one I found has had the cement mixer removed. I'd like to have an all-wheel-drive tractor heavy enough to pull my Bulldog and have a rear winch to drag it up on the trailer if it dies. I really don't need the third axel of the M919. I've been leaning back to a M123. I'm still kicking myself for missing a dual winch Mack a few years back. SECO beat me by about $100 on seal bid.
Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks