• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this Lock rim ok to remove from truck?

I tried to post this in the safety forum under the split rim thread but no place to upload pictures.

Question,
I am finally pulling the Deuce apart to fix the leaky axle seal and discovered a leaking wheel cylinder as well. :roll:

When I removed the outer wheel I noticed something unusual on the bead of the inner wheel split rim ring. The ring looks like it is out (parallel to the rim) by about 1/4th of an inch (on left side in picture). On the converse it is pushed in against the tire about 3/8 of an inch. Split rims scare the bejesus outa me to start with and I want to be sure that wrangling the lug nuts and yanking the wheel off isn't going to have this tire let go.
Having not taken a split rim apart (nor do I intend to on purpose or otherwise) I have nothing to go by on lip size, location, and general rule of thumb.
Any help advice greatly appreciated as I am now in a quandry to proceed or not.

First pic is of front rim (normal).
Second is of rim in question.

Attachments

CGarbee

RE: Is this split rim ok to remove from truck?

Since it hasn't cut loose yet (I presume that you have been driving the truck and honked on it a bit while taking the outer tire off, the wheel most likely will be fine for you to take off... But, pull the valve stem out, let the air go out (deflate it), and then pull it off... With no air pressure in the tire, the lock ring isn't going to fly off and smack you... Just reack around, remove the valve from the stem while keeping the rest of you out of the line of fire...
I would not reuse the lock ring, and considering how innexpensive wheels are these days I'd most likely just can the entire assembly and replace with a new wheel...

JDToumanian

I would not reuse the lock ring, and considering how innexpensive wheels are these days I'd most likely just can the entire assembly and replace with a new wheel...
I agree completely... Walker's here in Hesperia will sell a wheel with the tire still on it for $40, and as far as I'm concerned any damage to a split rim warrants replacement. I have a great respect for their destructive potential!

Jon

westfolk

I agree. With the cost of replacement, I'd do it. Better to be safe than headless or what not.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yep.. wheel might be ok, but that ring is bent.At least if replacing the ring only, make sure the surfaces are clean of the gross rust and encrustaceans

Jones

Me too, me too. Scrap that rim Gary. The lock rings get tweeked out of round and then are not trustworthy to seat properly. Your hide is certainly worth more than the cost of a replacement wheel and ring. When re-assembling, make sure the ring and ring groove are clean of any crud, rust/scale or burrs.

Jetnoise400

Get a new wheel from Walker. Then take the old wheel, pull the tire off, weld a length of scrap tube to the mount flange, put it in the ground, and you got yourself a decorative garden hose caddy! :lol:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that's the best suggestion yet.. although the subject of making 'spinners' out of old wheels has been brought up before.

OPCOM said:
that's the best suggestion yet.. although the subject of making 'spinners' out of old wheels has been brought up before.
Wonder why this guy didn't do that.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2547
I found out he's a contractor - of what they didn't say.

I let the air out of the subject tire and as it escaped I was exhaling (in harmony) a sigh of relief as well. Thanks Jones, I didn't know they were subject to damage like that.
I handle very large fireworks shells (24") and solid fuel rocket engines and feel safer dealing with them any day. I thank you all for the advice and glad to have this site for same.

The garden hose stand sounds pretty cool but I think the wife will have to wait for that one as I am going to weld a pipe and some plate to it and make me"one bad sum-beatch bench grinder stand". 8)

Post Edit 11/30/06

I had the subject tire/rim torn down and this is the ring that was removed.
Sidenote, the hub was still a little warm (not bad) after the second test drive and subsequent axle nut loosening so will have to back off the axle nut another flat. Getting to know the drill pretty good now. I checked with the torque wrench and the tension on the axle nut seems to be less than 20 ft lbs............. and dropping.

Attachments

See the two pictures of the ring that I posted in the post directly above.

I just picked up a rim and ring from Norman at Antelope Valley Truck. They demounted it from a tire prior to giving it to me. The ring looks just like the one pictured - ie: one side of the ring is elevated off the pavement. He says that is normal. Is it?
If the ring is laying on the ground should the complete ring lay flat and all points touch the pavement?
I don't want to have this thing sandblasted and repaint if that's the case.

jasonjc

RE: rims

That is the way they all are. Now if one end was say 6-8" off the ground and twisted I would think twice. The one in the pic above looks fine to me. I'd use it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the ones I've seen have a slight twist. I'd use it too just make sure it seats well and keep an eye out for really obvious stuff when you remount. And be careful airing up.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So is this (bent) how the rings are when they are new or does this happen after a few times of being broken down?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any pics of the groove on the rim? The first pics looked looked like the groove was eroded or had trash in the groove and didn't let the ring seat. If you pound the ring off with the tire hammer you will bend it. It's better to use the spoon/hook bar to get it off. I'd guess somebody fixed a flat in the boonies some where and didn't clean the groove when assembling it.
Once the tire bead is over the top of the ring there is a very small chance that it will come off. The ring has to expand the tire bead to come out of the groove. It is a wonder that it didn't launch and hit a airplane when he aired it up. It's warped pretty good. I've put them together with bent rings before and you have to make sure the groove is rust free and clean. And i hit the ring around the OD with the tire hammer to make sure it goes in the groove all the way.
As far as your rim goes. I'd ask the wife if she would like a 20 inch flower pot for the yard. That way you don't have to worry about it hurting you unless you trip over it and fall down.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
We code out lots of rims that look better than that take a look at the scap metal contracts on GL. Convert it to a project described above and get a new one. We had a blow out on a steering axle on an M915 going north on I 81 to I 84 and it blew a small car into the ditch and then crossed over both lanes of the interstate and went down the mountain towards Scranton. I was chasing him in a an M 1009 to catch up to a convoy and we were doing about 75. Don't think of using bad rims and lock rings even good ones fail in a blowout but you don't want the ring to fail and cause the blowout.

rmgill

Out of round is a problem. The slight twist runs into good alignment just fine when mounted. You can carefully bend them back if they're not badly bent up. The steel has some flex in it. The out of round is a problem because it'll be easy to come un-zipped at one point and go all the way around once it starts. The key thing is the groove/notch interface of the rim and ring.

rdixiemiller

The ring is retained by the tire bead. If the groove in the wheel is good, and the mating surface on the ring is good, then a twisted ring is not a problem. Now, if there is a kink in the ring, discard it. A smooth twist is not a real issue. I always soap up the bead really well before I air up the tire, never had an issue.

Happyland1410

I'm fixing my first flat on the deuce. I got a nail on my first drive after I put this new tire on the front axle. It took some work but I finally got the beads broke loose and everything apart. This had been the spare and looked like a brand new tire. I couldn't believe how much junk works its way down toward the bead when the tire sits horizontal in the spare tire carrier!

Anyway, I sandblasted the split ring and the wheel and threw a coat of paint on them. There is some pitting but my question for you guys is about the ring. It has only a slight twist to it which appears to be normal but the two ends don't line up exactly as you can see in the pictures. Is this normal and OK?

The last picture shows the back side of the lip on the wheel that holds the ring. That surface as well as the side of the ring that goes against it looked in really good shape.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks