• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this Lock rim ok to remove from truck?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be fine, use cation as you apply pressure and be sure it looks like it is seating correctly. Use a cage or chains.

Srjeeper

Happy,

Your rim & lockin ring look fine.

Most locking rings got a bit of a twist with time and number of times they've been removed. Just make sure it's locked totally in the grove on the rim and the rim & tire are chained or in a cage before ya start airing up. Take it slow, once the bead gets seated completely around the ring your golden.

If your unsure of how or what to do, take it to a tire shop and let them walk ya through it.

You can't put a price on safety.

fasttruck

Take the lock ring off clockwise starting at the hole for the tire iron to sit in . Put it back on counter clockwise and finish at the same place. Usually your weight will serve to "walk them on" but stubborn customers may need slight encouragement with a tire hammer. Armymanplus: Never saw a 915 that did not have tubless itres on it; no lock rings. Never saw one that would go faster than 58 mph or so either.

Happyland1410

Thanks guys!

I will definitely be safe when inflating the tire. I plan on mounting it on the outside rear of my parts deuce while inflating it and I already put together a remote clip on air chuck with 20 feet of hose.

We had a local truck tire shop replace all 10 tires on our fire department's deuce a couple of years ago. When I went to pick it up they were still finishing up and I watched (from a long distance) when they aired up the newly mounted tires on the truck instead of in a cage. The guy stood a little off to the side (but close) when airing up the fronts. I couldn't believe it. :shock: Everything went fine but my life and body parts are worth way too much to me to take that kind of risk.

Many years ago when I worked in a truck shop I watched a co-worker use the old ether and a match trick to set the bead on a tubeless truck tire. Again, just too risky for my taste.

tm america

These rims are not split rims .They are locking ring rims.Split rims are called widow makers and are illegal to run. The lock ring rims are perfectly safe and the rings are made with a twist to them to make it possible to get them in and out. The tires forces the ring flat..the main thing you have to watch out for with this style rim is rust in the grove where the lock ring rides.. if there is a build up of rust or mud on there when the ring is installed it can make the ring not fully seat and blow off when aired up.other than that i have seen no problems with them.also when airing up tires for the first time it is a good idea to get a 25ft hose with a chuck on the end of it hook it to the tire the get back and hook it to the other hose so you have a safey margin just incase.but if in doupt at all leave it to the experts life is to precious to take silly risks to safe a few bucks

emr

tm thanks for updating the info, U are correct , these rings are NOT the dangerous split rims that are not used anymore, they are fine , and are only dangerous at the time of inflation IF they are not seated , they are heavy duty and work increadably well, they will drive with these trucks fully loaded and aired down to crazy numbers and still never fail. its good to ask, its wirth a silly question to be safe anyday anytime, These are a pretty safe set up and work very well.

jimm1009

If you are running duals you can mount the recently changed tire on the outside so it is facing in and air it up that way too.
If it were to let go it would only scrap the outer face of the inner tire and possbily make you jump a little but no harm would come to anyone that way.
jimm1009

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yep.. wheel might be ok, but that ring is bent.At least if replacing the ring only, make sure the surfaces are clean of the gross rust and encrustaceans

Bumping this old, OLD thread for a general safety question regarding what I quoted above:

If a wheel has a good, solid, not gouged/rusted out lip for the lock ring - is it perfectly okay to replace the ring only? Both wheel and (new) ring will be 100% cleaned up via steel shot blasting and powder coat. (it's not actually a deuce wheel, but an M37 wheel).

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No not normal they should be even. That ring is sprung. You never pry a ring up only out. Who ever took it apart pried up.

Last edited: