• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's a military vehical but it's not what you think

jkelly66

A few weeks ago my wife and I managed a trip to one of my favorite places the Tennessee Vally Railroad Museum. To visit an old friend and watch it work. This locomotive former US. Army 610 was one of the last steam locomotives built in the US. The story I have been given by the people at TN. Valley is that she was used to train troops that would be going to Europe so they could run the railroads wile we were still in many places as an occupying force
The Locomotive was built in 1952 by Baldwin American locomotive works in Philadelphia PA. It served most of it's military career at FT. Eustis VA. after it was put out of service by the army Southern railroad acquired her for their steam excursion program. They decided she was to small to be of use and donated her to the museum where she has been the only running steam loco running there since 1998. The 610 will be undergoing her mandatory Federal boiler survey in a few weeks (lets hope her down time wont be long) For this reason I had to go visit her one more time.
I'm going to try and post my video and some pictures of her running here below if I can manage it. I hope you all enjoy them.

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok so let me get this straght.. that beast is "too small to be of use"?? sheesh. Well good looks like she has got a cushy home and easy retirement now for her golden years where she will bring enjoyment to many people. I love old machines like that.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, you are talking trains. At the time , the best 610 could do was 7-8 passenger cars. The railroad needed to move 15-20 cars to make the operation pay. Southern went from a 2-8-0(610) to a 2-8-2(4501) to a 2-10-2(610, and too big)to a 4-6-4(2839) to a 2-8-4(2716) to a 4-8-4(611) to finally a 2-6-6-4(1218 ).

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok so let me get this straght.. that beast is "too small to be of use"?? sheesh. Well good looks like she has got a cushy home and easy retirement now for her golden years where she will bring enjoyment to many people. I love old machines like that.
OPCOM,
If you're referring to my post.... I meant that she's just TOO BIG to fit into my yard, let alone giving her any track to run on. I suppose she would "fit" if I stood her up on one end like the Cadillacs at the Cadillac Ranch!.... Now THAT would be a sight.... but I'd have to "drain all the fluids". <sigh>

She's best kept where she is and in fully operating condtion. I'm glad that they are willing to invest in her inspection and continued preservation. Too many old steam engines were retired due to the cost of inspection before they even knew if there were any repairs necessary.

ALL ABOARD ! <toot-toot>

Southern Boy

Question; Where is the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. I have a 93 year old uncle, tat actually worked the steam railroads. And I believe he would really enjoy seeing it. He's currently in the hospital, but if he recovers, I will free up the time to take him if he is able. We live in the west Tennessee area and it should not be that much of a problem getting him there. He has probably got one of the best collection of old railroad memorabilia still left around that is not in a museum.

Thank You

WOLFMAN1

i am a lover of trains big and small. don't know much about them but i perfer a coal burner or one with a smoke stack than these electric engines. big powerful fire or steam fueled machines and that makes one hel[a mv in my book

DieselBob

:)Sweet ! Live steam was my former addiction, then I realized I could HAVE an MV, but a full-scale locomotive just wouldn't fit into my yard !
Same here. The wife and I have made quite a few trips around the region so I could get my fix of coal smoke and hot cylinder oil vapor. Like you I finally figured there was just no way I would ever get one home. :-(. So now I have a deuce that can roll smoke if I turn it up a bit and after a short drive I get the hot oil vapor from the road draft tube and just about anywhere I touch it I get grease or oil on me. :-D

Last edited:

mckeeranger

Question; Where is the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. I have a 93 year old uncle, tat actually worked the steam railroads. And I believe he would really enjoy seeing it. He's currently in the hospital, but if he recovers, I will free up the time to take him if he is able. We live in the west Tennessee area and it should not be that much of a problem getting him there. He has probably got one of the best collection of old railroad memorabilia still left around that is not in a museum.

Thank You
They have locations in Etowah, TN, and Chattanooga, TN.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have NO experience with railroad equipment but do have a sad story.

Several years ago a good friend of mine was selling off his property to the city and he was selling all kinds of military vehicles, equipment and civilian stuff.
(And no...I don't have any pics)....

Anyhoo....I went to help him several days as he was 80 then and truthfully was too cheap to hire anyone (even though his property brought 7 figures:cookoo:)

OK...here's the military vehicle...and train link to my story...he had 3 boxcars FILLED with MV parts...brake shoes, bearings, generators you name it there had to be 10 of each in those cars. (He bought from DRMO for years)
Here's the kicker...all three cars had been used by the military and had markings reflecting that...from the fourties!!

He said he was gonna keep the boxcars and move them to another location...said I could have anything I wanted from the cars but at the time I didn't have any MVs or a use for any of the stuff.
About a month later I went back down to visit him and the cars were gone!! He said he and his son had some words over the boxcars moving to the new location as the son was renting the property for his landscaping business.

So he sold them to the scrapper man:-(

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 610 is definitely one beautiful piece of green (black) iron. My son and I love trains and railroading.

We all rode on the TVRR back in Nov '03. We traveled to Alabama and took a side trip up to the TVRR. I believe it was my son's first ride behind live (mainline) steam. He was about 1 1/2. It was a cold, dry and crystal clear day. Great weather for nice, healthy steam plumes.

Spencer and I made a visit to the cab. I think I "destroyed" the lad that day. All he talks about now is steam locomotives. Funny thing is he hates video games. Guess I should consider that a good thing.

Oh, and wouldn't you know, I have pics...

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the Full-Scale Locomotives were my ultimate dream, I was willing to settle for a smaller scale, but LIVE STEAM model hobby..... But even THAT requires more land than I have for laying track.

There's nuttin' like riding around with a pressurized boiler (over 212F) between your legs :driver:

Attachments

jkelly66

Thank You
The TVRM. is in Chattanooga TN. to answer your question Southern Boy. It is the largest railroad museum in the south.
I hope your grandfather recovers and maybe could see this one before she takes a nap in the shop for a wile They are almost done restoring former Southern Railway 630 it should be out in a week or so and singing her song once more than 4501 will be coming back to life after 630. All of us who love steam can thank Norfolk Southern and all of my fine friends at TVRM for keeping steam alive.

rlwm211

I am pleasantly surprised at how many here who are addicted to the OD GREEN are also addicted in some way to Steam or railroading big and small!

I have been a railfan since college and have walkeda lot of grades long since abandoned and seen the evolution of the 12" to the foot type of modell RR.

Good to know I have company on this...

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks