• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's alive! (MEP-004...)

PeterD

Sorry, but I just can't resist... We got the MEP-004 running today, despite really damp weather.

A lot of problems with leaks from the injectors, and the voltmeter seems off by a bit (reads low) but other than that it both runs and sounds really good. Oh, and it makes power too.

Mostly I'm writing to publicly thank Ken from coming up from MA to help me get it started. Ken's help was invaluable, he was great at strong arming the injector lines (never seen lines that were so hard to get tight!)

Once we got the lines finally tightened up, it actually started (rough for the first few seconds, but since it has not run in a long time, and had to be rebuilt because of a blown head gasket, that was expected.) Once running it was smooth, quiet, and didn't even seem to leak much of any fluids at all.

So, Ken (Skidunits4you) thanks!

:beer:[thumbzup]

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I said anytime I can help a member its good. Its always good the see more green iron running again. Glad it ran so good when it started, Be safe and get me that list of parts so I can pull them from the donor MEPs Ken

PeterD

Just a followup... When we started it we found the volt meter to be reading about 20 volts too low. Since I had a replacement, the fix was easy. But...

After installing the new volt meter, I tested its calibration again against my digital meter (used the AC line and a suicide cord...) and the new one was only off by a volt or two.

Since I had that cord handy I pulled the AC input wires off the frequency meter's transducer (square metal box in the control panel) and tested it too... Wow--the frequency meter was off by a major amount: at 60 Hz the needle was just pinned, so it was reading way too high. Well I found I had another frequency meter and transducer so I stuck that one in and got that reading more accurately, though it is still about 0.5 Hz off.

Main reason for this added post is to suggest if you have one of these generator sets it would be a good idea to check the calibration of the frequency meter. Just pull the 120 feed off the transducer (it is well labeled) and apply 120 volts from the building's AC. Since in the US the power company keeps the system locked at exactly 60 Hz, that is an accurate test.

Considering that mine was off, I suspect that there are others in the same boat. Seems our test the other day was running at about 52 or 53 Hz! Oops...

zb39

I need a IP for a mep 005a??? Unit is all there with only 13 hours, but pump is gone....aua

O.D. Fever

I have had people play with the throttle knob before and set it way off, the hertz meter on the gensets may read close when they are way off do to picking up a harmonic. I always check with my digital fluke and adjust to that. If it reads right with the analog meter but sounds way to slow, its probably reading a harmonic. my 2 cents.. Joe

PeterD

Well, some updates...

I did a run today (actually two runs as we took a break for lunch and a parts run).

First run was about 45 minutes. It was cold (about 32 degrees) but it started up reasonably well. No nasty surprises, that was pleasant. My oil leak is fixed! I had a recurring leak on the oil filter's top cap. I put an old O-ring on it, and the old one sealed up just fine, didn't drip a single drop of oil. Yea!

I do have some seepage on the #2 injector, but having fixed #1 I know what I need to do to fix it. Should be a minor thing to fix up.

The second run was another 45+ minute go as well. We used the generator to run three electric heaters (not much of a load, perhaps 4500 watts only) but they took some of the chill out of the shop while we did an oil change in my granddaughter's car. (Yea, she did most of the work on the oil change-she's into that kind of stuff!)

End result is that I'm now comfortable that I can use it for a power failure (until this point in time, the oil leaks were creating some major problems...)

Runs very smooth, and other than the hour meter being flaky (doesn't seem to count time well, all the running was only about 0.4 on the meter...) but as I have a replacement meter I'll probably just change it out.

jbk

congrats. on your gen. peter and thanks to all who helped me on my 004. i have run it 3 times 35 min then 45 min. runs good no smoke no leaks. my hetz. meter doesnt work ill have to check as you described in the panel. i have a spare transducer but not a meter. ill try to load test it next. oh the napa 1004 filter comes with the correct gasket for the oil filter.

PeterD

... my hetz. meter doesnt work ill have to check as you described in the panel. i have a spare transducer but not a meter. ill try to load test it next.
Remember that the meter and the transducer are supposed to be 'matched' Of the two that I have the meters have different full scale current values (one is 200 and the other is 300) and so the transducer you have may not work with the meter even if both are good.

Other than checking the transducer for adjustment/calibration screws on the back (you have to remove it to see them), I guess you'd have to just try it. In my case I recalibrated using the 120 volt outlet at my work bench (required removing both the transducer and the meter, but that only took a few minutes) and got it almost dead on. I'm sure it would be off at 50 Hz, but I don't really care as I'm only interested in 60 Hz operation anyway.

... oh the napa 1004 filter comes with the correct gasket for the oil filter.
The CarQuest filter has a gasket (O-ring) that fits, it just doesn't seem to be soft enough to seal properly. Or maybe I wasn't tightening it down sufficiently, I'm not sure. I had a spare cap, with an old O-ring still attached (and a factory oil filter spring, too...) and I used that spare cap without touching the O-ring. Worked just fine. Had it not worked, I was going to stack two of the ones from the CarQuest filters and try that but I've got it licked for now.

jbk

i looked at the wiring diagram and they dont have different numbers on the wires for the ac input to the transducer, just one number. is this the hot leg only? the spare tranducer i have has the same manuf. and model # but a different part #

PeterD

There should be two wires in (120 volts AC) and they are not polarity sensitive. There are also two wires to the meter itself, and they are polarity sensitive, if you hook it up backwards the meter won't read.

Both the meter and the transducer will have a + sign marked on the output wire side to assist in getting the meter connected correctly. The wires in the harness are also marked with wire numbers too, or you can (carefully) use an ohm meter to find which is plus.

xmission

Hi Neighbor. I'm way up in Francestown.

I just picked up my Gen yesterday.

I see that you've replaced some filters. I've been doing some digging tonight, but have come up mostly empty handed on filter numbers for the generator. I need fuel, oil, air filters (are there others? :)) By any chance did you do the research successfully?

I did find the capacities for oil, and coolant, but haven't found oil type yet either.

Thanks

Dan

PeterD

Hey Dan, good to see another MEP-004 owner nearby.

I got my filters from CarQuest, (numbers below). My local store usually has them in stock (because they know I use them) but even if out of stock, they get them for next day delivery. Easy.

Oil: CarQuest number 85004 (WIX number is 51653)

Fuel: CarQuest number is 86540 (no Wix number in my book, but I'm about 90% sure I could find one if I needed.)
There is an air-filter number too, but I don't have it handy.

Oil is Rotella 15W-40, same as I use in my other diesel engines. I have manuals in PDF format if you want... We could probably get together and I can burn you a CD if you want.

xmission

Hey Dan, good to see another MEP-004 owner nearby.

I got my filters from CarQuest, (numbers below). My local store usually has them in stock (because they know I use them) but even if out of stock, they get them for next day delivery. Easy.

Oil: CarQuest number 85004 (WIX number is 51653)

Fuel: CarQuest number is 86540 (no Wix number in my book, but I'm about 90% sure I could find one if I needed.)
There is an air-filter number too, but I don't have it handy.

Oil is Rotella 15W-40, same as I use in my other diesel engines. I have manuals in PDF format if you want... We could probably get together and I can burn you a CD if you want.

Thanks very much. I see there is a car quest in Manch. I'll head there tomorrow. Worst case, maybe I can swing down to Jaffrica Friday afternoon if they don't have them in stock.

I wouldn't mind swinging by for a CD at some point, I did find mep-004-15kw-03 online. How many others do I need?

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to see another unit close. Any thing I can help you with i will. Peter's numbers on filters are good. Keep your old gaskets from your oil filter some times the new ones are to thin. Carquest lists the wrong air filter on ther web site so check it before you take it. Ken

jbk

the transducer i had worked, meter is spot on. i replaced the hour meter also it worked sometimes, explains the low hrs. ran it for about an hr. had about 3 or 4 drops of oil leak at the front seal and about 2 or 3 drops at the rear seal. hope it doesnt get worse.

PeterD

JBK: That's great. I'd not worry just yet about a few drops of oil, consider it an automatic rust proofing system instead! My hour meter is also spastic, but I think that is a relatively new problem, it seems to read about half what it should, but works in fits and starts. I'm going to pull it and test both it and a replacement that I have. Hopefully the replacement will work, if not I'll buy a new 'electronic' one if I can't find something that drops right in.

xmission: I'll drop you a PM about how to get in touch with me. If you do come over here, you 'll get to see my shop, and I'll show you as much as I can on my MEP-004 which is inside!

storeman

Are you fellows running these MEP-004a units 120/240 single phase? Anyone done it for an extended time without problems? have read that it could cause problems but certainly interested in doing so if it is possible.
Jerry

PeterD

Are you fellows running these MEP-004a units 120/240 single phase? ...

Most run just fine at 120/208 (not 240) and you can get about 67% full rated current without any problems. You can also take that third 120 volt leg and use it to power some circuits as well. Does take a bit of customized wiring of your transfer switch, but it is very possible to do. My manual transfer switch (you can get these at Home Depot and online) has six circuits with switches for each one. Factory setup is two groups of three circuits. It is trivial to rewire to three groups of two circuits, just change the connector to a three phase version, and you should be all set. There is a ten version of the same transfer switch, and I'm sure you could do something similar with it as well.

At least in my case, all the circuits I run on the generator are 120 volts (don't bother with the stove or other high current devices...) so things are much easier in that respect.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks