• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's alive! (MEP-004...)

xmission

Thanks very much.

I got all of the filters today, and then found out that the part inside the bottom of one of the fuel canisters (that holds the filter up off of the bottom) is missing. I'm out of luck.

I was really looking forward to trying to crank this thing. All I had left was this last filter, and to pour in some fuel.

PeterD

For xmission and anyone who wants 'em, here are the MEP-004 manuals in PDF form. Gotten from LOGSA last year, so should be as current as possible...

http://www.hipson.net/military/LO_9-6115-464-12_(Lubrication_MEP-004A).pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM_9-6115-464-12_(Operator_MEP-004A).pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM_9-6115-464-24_(Parts_MEP-004A).pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM_9-6115-464-34_(Depot_MEP-004A).pdf

(I strongly recommend downloading and viewing off-line, it will be faster. These are large manuals.) :mrgreen:

I also have the manual for the trailer if anyone wants a copy just let me know.

storeman

I have 3 phase high leg at my store and a 15kw would likely run our walk-in refrigeration, some of which is 3 phase. I may look a bit closer at a MEP-004 as spring approaches. We lost power during a hurricane 7 years ago for 10 days. Fish bait tends to get stinky when that happens. Anyone tried to tow one with a 1/2 ton pickup truck? Guess i'd have to rig a compressor for the air brakes.

xmission

For xmission and anyone who wants 'em, here are the MEP-004 manuals in PDF form. Gotten from LOGSA last year, so should be as current as possible...

http://www.hipson.net/military/LO_9-6115-464-12_(Lubrication_MEP-004A).pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM_9-6115-464-12_(Operator_MEP-004A).pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM_9-6115-464-24_(Parts_MEP-004A).pdf
http://www.hipson.net/military/TM_9-6115-464-34_(Depot_MEP-004A).pdf

(I strongly recommend downloading and viewing off-line, it will be faster. These are large manuals.) :mrgreen:

I also have the manual for the trailer if anyone wants a copy just let me know.

Thanks very much Peter. I just grabbed all of them.

I tried to put the canister on, but the spring keeps it from seating. I pulled the other side, and the "stop" (for a lack of a better word) sits about 2" higher on the one we put together.

I've got both in the basement, and will see what I can do to make it work.

Dan

xmission

I just towed mine from Ft Meade, back to NH last tuesday. I did not use the air brakes, and it wasn't a bad tow at all.

Dodge 2500 Ram.

PeterD

I have 3 phase high leg at my store and a 15kw would likely run our walk-in refrigeration, some of which is 3 phase. I may look a bit closer at a MEP-004 as spring approaches. We lost power during a hurricane 7 years ago for 10 days. Fish bait tends to get stinky when that happens.
I bet it does! :mrgreen: probably be ideal for that use.
Anyone tried to tow one with a 1/2 ton pickup truck?
A number of us tow them with 3/4 ton HD trucks. You need good brakes (and a 1/2 ton generally won't have good enough brakes--it is amazing when you see how big the brakes on my Dodge 2500 HD are...)
Guess i'd have to rig a compressor for the air brakes.
No, you drain the air tank (drain on the bottom) and make sure the parking brakes are off (levers both sides, release by lifting them up.) Always allow lots of stopping room and do good truck driving practices and you should be OK towing them. To use the air brakes you would need an air-brake controller, these are complex and expensive. I do know of one company that makes a conversion to convert air over hydraulic to electric over hydraulic, runs about a thousand for the full kit, IIRC.

PeterD

Thanks very much Peter. I just grabbed all of them.

I tried to put the canister on, but the spring keeps it from seating. I pulled the other side, and the "stop" (for a lack of a better word) sits about 2" higher on the one we put together.

I've got both in the basement, and will see what I can do to make it work.

Dan
Odd, maybe the spring is too long? I guess a comparison with the good one might work at showing what's wrong with the one we made...

storeman

I just towed mine from Ft Meade, back to NH last tuesday. I did not use the air brakes, and it wasn't a bad tow at all.

Dodge 2500 Ram.

Thanks. They come up at Richmond once in a while. Thats only an 80 mile tow. I feel more confident. I hate to borrow towing equipment.
Jerry

joesco

Good to see another Granite Stater with a MEP's genset. I have started on newly acquired 92 MEP-002A, but have been sidelined by a nasty cold. I am replacing the OEM fuel filters with two Wix Spin-on's. I have also replaced the oil filter with Tom's spin-on. Hope to continue work on the fuel system later this week, flush the tank and buy a set of batteries at WallyWorld. Nice thread!

PeterD

Hi Joe, I do remember you from HML days. You may want to try TSC for batteries as they may have a better selection. Don't know if you have one near you however.

PeterD

Well, the Weare NH show as kind to me...

I found a slide hammer for the ground rods, at a very good price ($15, it was new). Now, I don't think the MEP004 was originally supplied with the slide hammer, but if it was, where would it have been stored? Won't (obviously) fit in the ground rod box.

Anyone have an idea? :?

NEIOWA

Well, the Weare NH show as kind to me...

I found a slide hammer for the ground rods, at a very good price ($15, it was new). Now, I don't think the MEP004 was originally supplied with the slide hammer, but if it was, where would it have been stored? Won't (obviously) fit in the ground rod box.

Anyone have an idea? :?

See Pg B-1 of the -10 TM for the BII list. BII included a slide hammer. I very much doubt SAM ever spec a ground rod without the means to install it.

PeterD

Humm, a -10 manual? I have:

TM 9-6115-464-12

TM 9-6115-464-24
TM 9-6115-464-34

but no -10!

Ah, found it... Thanks Igor at www.liberatedmanuals.com, that was an easy one. Of course it didn't quite answer where the recommended storage location for the slide was, so I'm going to just use the inside tool box.

The MEP-004 had (so I thought) a sledge hammer to drive the rods).

I can fit the slide in the tool box inside the engine door, and that may become its new home. But please tell me more about the -10 manual!

Last edited:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My mep-003's are on a trailer with one of the ass. boxs mounted between tghem . Fits lots of stuff. Maybe add to the " new idea for a ammo box " thread!

PeterD

Irene turned off the lights a couple of hours ago. Rather localized (daughter down the road has lights, we don't). So today was the first real test of the generator... We'll call it a success, with a couple of minor things. Hit the breaker switch to put it online, and nothing. Odd, did a bulb test, bulb was OK. Flipped the switch a couple of more times, getting a bit ticked off, nothing. Sat and stared at it for a few seconds and it went on! I don't think there is a delay in the thing, so I'll have to see what was not quite right. But it is running, powering this posting in fact (and the TV, fridges and lights.) :p

PeterD

It appears I have slightly more oil in the pan after four hours running then when I started. Not a horrible amount, but enough that once I shutdown I will have to investigate... I could be wrong, but don't think so! Oil is still spotlessly clean, too, which is good--no blow-by.

PeterD

I guess I should also make sure the generator's level when checking the oil too! Seems the left side is on a bit of a hill, I forgot that. Maybe the oil level issue is a 'red herring'.

Can anyone tell that the forum where I spend most of my time is down? :p I'm running out of 'fun' things to do! Can't work in the shop, no power out there (and I'm out of extension cords now) so it is me and the computer now.

Isaac-1

If the MEP-004 has a mechanical engine driven fuel pump the rubber diaphragm in it may be bad allowing Diesel to get into the oil. This is not a good thing as it breaks down the ability of the oil to lubricate properly. (The same thing can happen with the seals on some diesel injection pumps, Stanadyne/Roosa Master for one)

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks