• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's Alive!, The beast lives

pat038536

Good news, and not so good news....

Good news: It starts, it is now off the street and on my driveway. Now I can work on it at my leisure. I had to replace both batteries and the batt-to-batt cable. It had half a tank of go-juice in it still.

The not-so good news: Once started.. it doesn't turn off, the throttle stop doesn't and I had to slip the clutch in 5th to kill it. One of the left inner tires is flat (thumped).

Its a White LD-465-1 according to the NSN, although mine does have a turbo... Not being a diesel mechanic.. (what, no spark plugs?!?) and tips on where to start looking would be appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pop the hood and have someone pull the engine kill handle while you watch under the hood. The cable should pull a rod out on the side of the IP. That turns off the fuel flow to the IP. Let us know what you find.

mendo

Good news, and not so good news....

Good news: It starts, it is now off the street and on my driveway. Now I can work on it at my leisure. I had to replace both batteries and the batt-to-batt cable. It had half a tank of go-juice in it still.

The not-so good news: Once started.. it doesn't turn off, the throttle stop doesn't and I had to slip the clutch in 5th to kill it. One of the left inner tires is flat (thumped).

Its a White LD-465-1 according to the NSN, although mine does have a turbo... Not being a diesel mechanic.. (what, no spark plugs?!?) and tips on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Hey! where are you in Sacramento? I am not too far up I-80, just above Auburn. would love to come see the Rig!!

pat038536

Seeing how the the steering is a pita to turn, I've seen references to an 'air-assist steering' option..
1. parts: easy to obtain or unobtainium?
2: cost
2. installation: difficulty?
3. would a hydro-electric or conventional hydraulic power steering system be feasible?
4: or do I need to grow Popeye arms and just deal with it?

I've heard talk that the racks are quite expensive, about 1k it seems, I'm not all that big a guy (135-150lbs depending on the month, lol) so I'm going the grow popeye arms/ 1st gear low assisted steering, lol.

But seriously, using low 1st and reverse makes tight turns pretty easy, idk if it's the right way, but I usually load the steering wheel as much as I can before letting the clutch out a bit to move the truck and ease turning. Hope that helps a bit. And ditto on taking the stop cover off and spraying the crap out of it. Also make sure it starts back up after cleaning, if not, take it apart and clean everything.

Wolfen

I have seen the Air Assist Kits Advertised at various Dealers such as Memphis Equipment and Eastern. You could also, try searching e-bay.:beer:

Last edited:

Heavysteven

Since your already into the batt area. I would recommend cleaning the cable to frame ground, then clean all the connections at the starter.

Also, a solargizer will help make your new batteries last longer.

RAYZER

Steering is not too bad once you get use to it . In my humble opinion, power steering is not needed in a deuce unless your handicapped. Just keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel spokes! :grd:

hole

Seeing how the the steering is a pita to turn, I've seen references to an 'air-assist steering' option..
1. parts: easy to obtain or unobtainium?
2: cost
2. installation: difficulty?
3. would a hydro-electric or conventional hydraulic power steering system be feasible?
4: or do I need to grow Popeye arms and just deal with it?
5. Eat more spinach

davidkroberts

honestly when i upgraded to 395 tires the steering became much easier. I have no idea why but it is half as hard to turn now. If your going to spend some money get some more road speed and better traction while your at it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steering is not too bad once you get use to it . In my humble opinion, power steering is not needed in a deuce unless your handicapped. Just keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel spokes! :grd:
Remember -
These trucks were designed to be operated by "almost undernourished" kids - 18-year-old draftees - who, typically weighed in at a whopping 130-160 lbs dripping wet.

pat038536

Remember -
These trucks were designed to be operated by "almost undernourished" kids - 18-year-old draftees - who, typically weighed in at a whopping 130-160 lbs dripping wet.
Then I should be as strong as 3 of them.... perhaps I once was before I moved out of the shop and into an office. Jatonka has been emailed for availability and pricing.

I looked at the ip for the engine stop cable.. either the cable is rusted in the sleeve or is broken and has to be replaced cause it doesn't move the lever at the ip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks