• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

It's Alive!, The beast lives

Blood_of_Tyrants

Seeing how the the steering is a pita to turn, I've seen references to an 'air-assist steering' option..
1. parts: easy to obtain or unobtainium?
2: cost
2. installation: difficulty?
3. would a hydro-electric or conventional hydraulic power steering system be feasible?
4: or do I need to grow Popeye arms and just deal with it?
1. They are out there.
2. Bought 2 from another SS member last year for $750 each, but you won't find them for under $1000 now.
2a. Installation: easy. First one took 3 hours, second took 1 1/2.
3. Conventional hydraulic is feasible and several members have done it. It just depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then I should be as strong as 3 of them.... perhaps I once was before I moved out of the shop and into an office. Jatonka has been emailed for availability and pricing.
If you can get one in hand for $1200 or less, you have won the game! However, before pulling the trigger, I suggest you drive a truck with the air assist installed. Apparently they are not a complete solution and you may find some of the quirks are a bother.

I looked at the ip for the engine stop cable.. either the cable is rusted in the sleeve or is broken and has to be replaced cause it doesn't move the lever at the ip.
Sounds like a broken cable. Next experiment would be to operate the stop lever by hand to see if it kills the motor.

Rick

stumps

Driving cars and truck with manual steering is a lost art in this day and age of power everything. As a point of reference, my octogenarian mother still drives a station wagon that has manual steering, and she is not a big woman. The key is to always keep the vehicle moving when you turn the wheel. Don't even try to turn the wheel when you are stopped, it is very hard on the steering box, and linkages. In a tight turn, you may want to use both arms on the same side of the wheel, and pull down. Most people's arms are stronger pulling down. In a deuce, the best speed for tight maneuvering is in 1st gear, with the Transfer Case in LOW. Keep your foot off of the accelerator pedal, just idle.

And was mentioned by others, If you value your hands, keep all fingers, thumbs wrists, etc. out of the spoke area of the steering wheel! When the deuce steering wheel returns to center as you are coming out of a turn, it will spin very strong and very fast if you let it.... Sometimes even if you don't let it. If one of the spokes clubs you, you will curse the day, and feel the pain for months. In many respects, deuce spoke injuries are like M1 Garand thumb injuries. Try as you might to avoid them, they will get you sooner or later.

Read, respect, maintain and enjoy your new deuce!

-Chuck