Its cold outside lets talk Heaters, H81, H82, H83, etc.

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you remove the whole burner assy? or just the cover? If you removed the burner assy, check and double check the spark gap and alignment to the injector. When you say fuel but no spark, when you view the burner chamber thru the peep sight, you have no blue spark while in vent mode?

Cdtdiesel

We have the whole burner assy. Out and hooked up but no spark. When it was still in we looked through the peep and there was nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
take it to a oil heater shop, this is almost the same as a oil heater for the home, it uses like parts, but since its military its numbers wont match exactly.

Triton

I'd like to purchase one of these heaters, I know winter is probably not the best time to buy one but I never see them for sale. Does anybody have a source for them?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doggod10, are you having issues? if so,post up your questions.

Triton, I have one extra, but I have never fired it and have controlled exchanged parts. I do know of one I sold that might be for sale. will make a call.

IceCastle

Hi folks, I'm trying to get my H81 heater running. I purchased this unit 25 or so years ago, first 2 winters it ran fine, it was a warmer climate, only used it on coldest days for a few hours to knock the chill out of the warehouse, of note, we were running it on a 50/50 mix of diesel and used motor oil. 3rd winter it would light on warm days, refused to light on cold days when we needed it. At that point in time I had no manual, I remember tracking problem to K8 relay, I remember watching relay heat up and turn unit off. I moved to a smaller shop, heater got shoved into storage for 20 or so years, presently setting up a new shop, in new location that is much colder, I need heat before they find my frozen body.

Heater is now installed in new shop, exhaust pipe plumbed to outdoors, igniter throwing nice blue arc, it fires for a few seconds and goes out. Plan for today is clean oil filter, its a "self cleaning" type filter, you are supposed to turn knob on top to clean, knob is currently stuck. Next step will be to open burner and make sure flame sensor is properly positioned, maybe pull and clean injector nozzle too.

I read this entire thread last night, little confused on what to do about K8 relay, one poster mentions potential ground issue, then recommends letting relay hang loose, which seems to me it would have no ground that way? Looks like one of you found an off-the-shelf replacement for K8, not sure if I need that yet, but a link to replacement might just come in
handy.

Anyone ever consider rewiring one of these so it operates more like a conventional heater? Seems to me that a standard oil furnace control could be used so fan turns on, delay and sense fan is on, burner ignites. When temp is reached solenoid closes to shut burner off, fan runs till burner is cool, fan shuts off. Does not sound too difficult, of course that is a job for next summer, right now I just need heat.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hanging the k8, was more of a cooling effect rather than a grounding issue. I drilled holes in one k 8 that was being problematic to manually operate the switch inside, but there was no need to manually operate it, it went to work and is working to this day in a body shop

IceCastle

Before taking things apart tried to fire it a few more times, same results, getting 125psi on fuel pressure gauge (need to turn it down some for elevation), I think it fires for a few seconds, exhaust pipe gets warm, cannot get back to viewing port fast enough to see it, red light comes on at K8 after 10-15 seconds. Did note that when trying to fire it I do get a smell of diesel, no leakage to be seen anywhere.

Fuel filter is AMF Cuno self cleaning filter, shot stem with lots of PB last night, still does not turn today. Nut that surrounds stem came loose no problem, all attempts to loosen 7/16" square nut on bottom failed, there is also a larger hex nut that I think may be part of bowl, think I need to hold that when reefing on square, but no room for 2 wrenches with it installed. Pretty sure this is going to lead to disconnecting lines from pump and filter, then pulling pump with filter and getting it on workbench.

Opened combustion chamber, tried to save gasket but no go, I see some on ebay, any chance that is one of you guys? If so are you open to dealing direct and saving the fleas? If so let me know before I order some. Flame sensor appears to be in place, no tube assembly as pictured in the H82/83 manual, see pics. Flame sensor lens is a bit oily/dirty, will clean. I see cleaning procedure in manual for flame sensor, but not testing procedure.

Tried uploading some pics, not working, maybe I need more posts first?

Edit: Pulled the pump and fuel filter, further examination has me questioning if this is a serviceable filter, square head on bottom is just a drain plug, attempts to remove it are tweaking whole bottom of filter, and I don't think bowl comes off to allow cleaning. Ideally I would replace it with a spin-on disposable filter, yet due to lack of room, and not wanting to replumb it, I'm looking at a replacement from fleabay. Manual for H82/83 shows a different style filter.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are running wayyyyy too much fuel psi, try 90 psi or less. I am only running 70? Psi , ithink.

Also i think max waste oil would be like 20% or less. I think I remember reading about waste oul use but don’t remember the number

IceCastle

I never adjusted the fuel pressure, guessing its as set by mfr, previous shop was maybe 500ft above sea level, new shop is 6000ft elevation, so yes according to manual it needs to be down in 90-100 range. It was back in the mid 90's when we were running the WMO, don't think I even had internet yet, so just had to wing it, iirc we were running somewhere in the 60/40 to 50/50 range on diesel/WMO, it ran, did not smoke, so:shrugs:. Of course the peanut gallery (employees) always accused me of killing it by running too much wmo, I don't know yet, maybe they were right, I'll know for sure if nozzle is gummed up or clogged.

Edit: Oh yeah, this H81 has thermostats, one is White Rogers, other Independent Energy/Goldline SP-33.

Last edited:

IceCastle

Pulled the burner yesterday, nozzle had a good layer of shmooh on exterior, soaked in acetone last night, scrubbed with soft (not wire) brush this morning. New fuel filter is one the way, burner gasket is good so don't need to order that, weighing options for gasket for main cover of burner (first piece that comes off to access flame sensor). The old gasket appears to be a black rubber/silicone sheet material, doubt I will find that at NAPA, so either I use plain gasket material, high temp rtv in a tube, or order a sheet of high temp silicone and cut a gasket out of that, any opinions?

Hoping that between new filter, cleaning flame sensor, and cleaning nozzle, this thing fires again. I'd provide pics but cannot get them to load, I'm not new forums, and it looks like same system as PM, they are just not loading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks