• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I've joined the G749 club...

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good to know plowboy. The one I've got is seized tighter than tight and it only been a few years since it ran-supposedly It seems as though these were common to seize up, more so than most I have worked on. Is it cause the exhaust is open to the elements, do you have an explanation? Wouldn't worth messing with if it wasn't a challenge
We've got a couple of blocks that had heads pulled by the PO so they're a rusty pool on top. We tried diesel fuel, then a mix of acetone and transmission fluid on one block with no luck. The biggest factor comes with aluminum pistons in a steel cylinder. It's so important to keep them moving so they don't have time to tell each other they are dissimilar metals. Something about aluminum carrying a +2 charge and steel (iron) iron existing in a wide range of oxidation states, −2 to +6.

It's a fascinating topic that a search on galvanic corrosion or dissimilar metals can keep a guy reading for hours, or in my case years.....because I just nod my head up and down and all the info keeps falling out.
https://www.angelo.edu/faculty/kboudrea/periodic/physical_metals.htm
https://www.nace.org/Corrosion-Central/Corrosion-101/Galvanic-Corrosion/

I don't have any answers about how to correct it in our engines because it appears that the metal begins to separate so once it starts it can't be fixed. I shouldn't say that.....I think the fix is in the pics.

PA250438.jpgPA250428.jpg

I am going to try some molasses and hot water just to see what might happen but we're sure the Preventative Maintenance is to keep the pistons moving.

1944mb

Yeah and if the molasses doesn't free it up, at least you'll feel like eating it. I've never tried evap o rust that gimpy Robb was talking about, but have tried seafoam, atf, atf and laquer thinner, mystery marvel. I need to yank the head and see what's going on. Nice to see that lifting eye on the restored engine.
gimpy- have u tried that evaporust on a stuck engine?

hambone

Great looking projects, I found that the big trucks can be long term projects, been working on mine for a couple years, got 2 more wheels needing wheel cyls. installed, after this brake job, I will feel home free, only the exhaust left.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks