• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jasper 6.2 diesel ?

jgb680

Has anyone had any experience with a remanufactured Jasper engine? I need a new motor for my m1008, and if I am going to spend the money I want to make sure that everything has been redone on what I put back in it. I have always heard Jasper engine are one of the best, but they don't get good reviews. What do you guys think? Is there someone else you would use?

2002ford

I have heard the same as you. Good engine rebuilds with a warrenty to back them. I have not read any articles on them. If you want to save some money on a good running motor just PM me.

jdknech

I have never been a fan of Jasper rebuilds.. i have torn down a couple GAS engines of there's, and found stuff like- 3 pistons standerd, 3 .010 oversized, and the other 2 .040 oversized.. cranks ground to a undersize.. but 1 bearing at .010, and the rest at .020.. to me this is shoddy work.. but both engines had over 60K miles on the rebuild..

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any of the "economy" rebuilders (like Jasper) just throw engines together with mostly unskilled workers. I've seen the same stuff jdknech talks about. Surprisingly they seen to run for a fairly long time though.

I know of one guy that went through three before he found one that would hold decent oil pressure. They did cover all three under warranty but they didn't cover the labor to change them out.

With all that said, I may would still buy one if the price was right because like I said, they seem to hold up fairly well considering the sloppy way they are put together. I just wouldn't expect for them to hold up to high mileage though (if I hit 100K I'd call myself lucky).

What's wrong with the engine in the truck? (If it has one). Something relatively minor and just needing a rebuild? Or a thrown rod/snapped crank? It may be more cost effective to take the engine to an engine shop, and have it properly rebuilt if it's something on the minor side.

Last edited:

jgb680

What's wrong with the engine in the truck? (If it has one). Something relatively minor and just needing a rebuild? Or a thrown rod/snapped crank? It may be more cost effective to take the engine to an engine shop, and have it properly rebuilt if it's something on the minor side.

The motor right now has a leaking head gasket. I replaced the head gaskets about two years ago and it has been fine until about two months ago. The truck still runs great and has plenty of power with no smoke, it is just over pressurizing the radiator right now. With the truck running there are a lot of bubbles coming out of the radiator. With the radiator cap on it leaks a little, this is how I first noticed the problem. I'm not sure why the head gaskets are leaking. I kinda want to just go ahead and rebuild the motor because if I am going to tear it apart I hope to not have to do it again for a long time. The only problem with rebuilding my motor is the first time the head head gaskets blew it locked up the motor and cracked the block where one of the starter bolts screwed in, when I tried to start it. We rigged this by drilling further into the block and threading a piece of all thread into the hole with a nut on it. This has held the starter with no problems for about two years. My motor right now runs great, and I am not really sure what to do. I just want to have the block replaced or fixed, and if I spend the money to tear it apart I only want to do it once. I'm not really sure what route to go. I'm open to suggestions and I'm interested in what you guys think. I just thought Jasper might be a good place to start, but I'm not so sure after doing a little research...

V8Astro

It's a toss-up with any engine rebuilder. Unless you have a guy in town with a good reputation and even then mistakes happen.

My experience with Jasper was when I worked in a shop where we serviced GM P30 series trucks. One of them I installed 3 engines in 3 months (GM TBI SBC). First one dropped a valve on the highway. I still have the #5 wrist pin and half of the rod which ended up stuck between the trans cooler lines. The second one broke a cam. The third one broke the crank behind the first counter-weight. It still ran. The balancer was all wobbly around and it slung all the belts off.

The price and the warranty is hard to beat tho...

Skinny

Anyone using HMMWV take-outs or crate engines you see scattered on Ebay? Seems like you can find one for around $1200 every time I log on.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been in one of these types of rebuild shops. What they do is tear engines down, throw all the parts into containers, clean and inspect the reusable parts, and grab parts out of the containers when they put them back in the block.

One thing is it would be purely coincidental if you get the same parts back in a block that came out of it. This isn't necessarily bad but can sometimes lead to trouble if tolerances aren't checked really well where parts have "worn to fit" in a particular block or heads. Also, sometimes stuff slips through the inspection process.

What's really bad is when they bore one cylinder or turn one crank journal and don't do the same to all the rest.

painter paul

I have bought 4 of the HMMV takeouts and so far they have all been good. I have one left for $400.oo. Never seen one go for as much as $1200.oo. Have just had minor problems, seems like they switch engines at so many miles or months, not when they go bad. Thanks,Paul

ducer

We used to call Jaspers and the old sun engines grenades in a box. :shock: Mismatched bores, reground but not hardened cams, 1 or 2 different sized journals, sunk valves, one head milled to much caused valves to crash into pistons upon start up, unbalanced rotating assembly. Those are just some of the things I can testify to. I had a friend who was a sales rep for jasper for about 1 month, he couden't take all the complaints!:cookoo:

Denny

MarcusOReallyus

It's a toss-up with any engine rebuilder. Unless you have a guy in town with a good reputation and even then mistakes happen.

It's not hard to rebuild an engine, if you have a decent machine shop in town for the parts that need it. Do the rest of the work yourself.

blzrgb

I'm needing a engine for my 1008. Prbly gonna buy a pullout I guess from Memphis Eq. Any other places to look for a low

mileage pullout ?

kabar1

I have bought 4 of the HMMV takeouts and so far they have all been good. I have one left for $400.oo. Never seen one go for as much as $1200.oo. Have just had minor problems, seems like they switch engines at so many miles or months, not when they go bad. Thanks,Paul
That's all I can seem to find also is $ 1200 for the hmmv take outs.

Al Harvey

There is a guy here in Clarksville that is real good. I take all my machine work to him and he is the one who rebuilt my M38A1 motor as well. It's a couple hours from Chattanooga, but if you can't find anyone closer let me know and I'll see what he would charge for you.

kabar1

There is a guy here in Clarksville that is real good. I take all my machine work to him and he is the one who rebuilt my M38A1 motor as well. It's a couple hours from Chattanooga, but if you can't find anyone closer let me know and I'll see what he would charge for you.
I'd be interested in that! Complete rebuild or just the machine work? Cheapest rebuild kit I've seen is a $1000.

F18hornetM

If you have ever been to the Jasper plant, its top notch and definitely not unskilled workers. Super clean and very well organized. My shop [ I work for an electric utility] have installed probably a 30-40 Jasper engines over the years and probably that many transmissions. Especially the old E4OD's. Only had one warranty claim on a motor and they "paid" us to repair it. As far as the 6.2 I remember replacing 3-4, years ago and don't remember any issues. Also Jasper is not the cheapest out there. But certainly cheaper then dealer engines.
Of course just my 2 cents worth, I don't sell Jasper engines as I buy them for our fleet.. [450+ vehicles] We have tried many other brands of rebuilds and pretty much use Jasper exclusively.
Probably cheapest route would be find a good take out. You guys must use a different Jasper than I do, and have had same salesman for years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks