• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jerry cans

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's my understanding that the original style Jerry cans have been outlawed to manufacture by the federal government (it doesn't pass current fuel can regs).

There are plenty of good used ones around.

easttnemc

Search on Amazon for "jerry can"....there are one or two companies that still make them.....note that they are sold as "water storage" since they do not meet current federal laws for fuel storage and claiming they are for water storage is their way around the regulations.

PeterD

... they are sold as "water storage" since they do not meet current federal laws for fuel storage and claiming they are for water storage is their way around the regulations.
Water cans are different than fuel cans.
Yes, water cans are different from fuel cans, but easttnemc's comment was that they were selling fuel cans as water cans to bypass regs with regard to fuel cans.

easttnemc

From one of the Q&A on their website:
In 2000, the EPA adopted a Californian law that set special requirements to make gas cans "safer" and applied it federally. Once this came into place, it became illegal to sell a canister to store fuel that did not have: -A single, self venting opening for filling and pouring with no separate vents or openings -A treated can body for minimal permeation of fuels -Automatic closure, meaning a nozzle which automatically springs to the closed position when not pouring -Childproof features as designated by the Children's Gasoline Burn Prevention Act So even though these are the same cans that people around the world have been using for over a 100 years to store, and this company sells these exact cans internationally (including NATO) to store gasoline safely; you can not purchase one in the United States if you plan on storing fuel in it. This is why it's being sold as a water container. Instead you should be looking at the new, "better", "safer" cans that cause you to spill gasoline all over the place and yourself and tend to pose a real hazard of exploding.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The new fuel containers are a PITA, I just got 4 of the old style jerry cans with spouts! Emmado, are your cans advertised here? Also, is it illegal to use the old cans to store fuel in? Or does the law only apply to new manufacture?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have about 40 old style fuel cans in varying degrees of condition. I am interested in caps for this style is anyone has a source.

I am interested in acquiring the old style (flexible steel) spout (donkey d**k) for a fuel can. I suppose it is like "pop top" beer cans. Back in the day there were billions of them - today not so much.

Anyone know a source for the above mentioned spouts?

Thanks.

It must be a description thing.
I realize the topic is "Jerry" cans and that is sometimes a misunderstood term. I guess I misunderstand it. I saw all of the spouts for the "Jerry" cans on e***.
I am looking for the flexible steel spout with the rubber gasket that is forced into the threads, when you pivot a "clamp" kind of thingy. This swells the rubber washer, which seals against the internal threads.
Yes, it has been almost 15 years since I retired, but have things really changed that much. I mean we were just starting to get the plastic fuel cans and getting rid of the metal cans. (I should have kept the metal cans.)
The one I did find on e*** was the correct type, but the condition was poor.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you get the USGI ones, and not the ones made across the Pacific pond. On the imports, the metal washer that is supposed to compress the rubber and seal the opening, is not thick enough or strong enough to actually make a leak proof seal (ask me how I know). If you get to handle the device before purchase, measure the diameter of the rubber, then pivot the clamp and measure the diameter again, but in all four quadrants (IE, directly under the clamp points and also 90 degrees to that point). 'Cheap' ones will not swell except under the clamp area, which is only about 1/4 of the full diameter.

Make sure you get the USGI ones, and not the ones made across the Pacific pond. On the imports, the metal washer that is supposed to compress the rubber and seal the opening, is not thick enough or strong enough to actually make a leak proof seal (ask me how I know). If you get to handle the device before purchase, measure the diameter of the rubber, then pivot the clamp and measure the diameter again, but in all four quadrants (IE, directly under the clamp points and also 90 degrees to that point). 'Cheap' ones will not swell except under the clamp area, which is only about 1/4 of the full diameter.
I would like the USGI ones, but right now I would take any kind. :(

So you just want one for show, not to use? Or should I say 'try to use' and wind up dumping half or more of the fuel on the ground!
I would start with "for show" and work my up to "try to use". Given enough parts I might be able to make a less than adequate one perform adequately.

Woodsplinter

It must be a description thing.
I realize the topic is "Jerry" cans and that is sometimes a misunderstood term. I guess I misunderstand it. I saw all of the spouts for the "Jerry" cans on e***.
I am looking for the flexible steel spout with the rubber gasket that is forced into the threads, when you pivot a "clamp" kind of thingy. This swells the rubber washer, which seals against the internal threads.
Yes, it has been almost 15 years since I retired, but have things really changed that much. I mean we were just starting to get the plastic fuel cans and getting rid of the metal cans. (I should have kept the metal cans.)
The one I did find on e*** was the correct type, but the condition was poor.
Oh, now I understand which one your talking about. Don't see many of those. The type that just screw into the opening are plentiful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks