• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

JP-8 Fuel

blitzberger

Would anyone know where I can get a hold of ( JP-8 ) Fuel

I need at minimum 5 gals. but if I have to I will purchase a 55 gal drum.

This needs to be JP-8 not diesel fuel as this is for a test

I am located in NJ

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try at a mid sized airport.

How are you going to test it? For what purpose? JP-8 doesn't work real well in common rail diesel engines due to lack of lubricity.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know where to get JP-8. Something I've wondered - is JP-8 road legal? Are there road taxes paid on it?

goatijoe

Yea i would think that your local airport would have it for sale. Just go or call to see if they will sell you a few gallons of it. You may have to take a 55 gal. drum due to the size of the nozzle they pump it with hope there's no special fitting they use. good luck let us know how much it is a gallon.

blitzberger

Thanks for your replies ,Ive gone the airport route no luck it has to be JP-8
I'm not testing the fuel I need to soak a panel in it for durability against it .
There are no military bases local that I can approach.

Kasper31

I doubt that you will find any J-8 fuel on the open market,,,,,your dear Uncle Sam has the market on it. I would recomend that you NOT use it in a diesel motor vehical application. It is a very thin fuel and has very little lubrication qualities. Your local airport that has jet-a fuel
will be as close as you may find.

Goose2448

The difference is in flash points and freezing points. They use JP5 on Aircraft Carriers. JP 6 was used for the XB-70 and JP 7 was used for the SR-71. JPTS is used for the U-2. JP1 was Pure Kerosene and was some of the first jet fuel. JP4 was a 50-50 mix of Kerosene and Gasoline and was phased out for JP8. JP8 is the most common and is used by the USAF. Then there is FT blended fuel. It is a synthetic fuel blended with JP8. This is to help cut imported fuel.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are doing a mil-spec test for a government contract, the government has a list of approved suppliers and should be able to make it possible for you to buy some for acceptance testing purposes.

Kasper31

As Tow4 said, if you are testing for a gov. usage,,,,,,
In tests I worked on, the gov. provided the oils and fuels.
However not knowing what you are doing, that's another thing.
Good luck with your project.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would recomend that you NOT use it in a diesel motor vehical application. It is a very thin fuel and has very little lubrication qualities.
At the 2009 GA Rally a fellow member (name withheld to protect the guilty) brought some JP-8 and I got a share of it......when I left the rally I put the used veggie oil from the MKT and some JP-8 in my deuces fuel tank.

It ran like a scalded dog all the way back to Alabama.

If you cut it with oil it will be fine.

If you find a civy source for JP-8 it prob won't be cheap.:shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks