• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junction City Ks Crusher

91W350

A few months ago, if that long, I posted a thread about a salvage yard that was going to crush some deuces. A fellow member went over and made contact and reported that there was nothing left. I never went over to check. My buddy with the crusher is over there now crushing about 500 cars and a lot of iron. He called today and said if I wanted to check out the deuces, I better get over to do it.

It was not six deuces as originally reported, it is eleven deuces and a five ton, plus some deuce axles and a few M1009s are present as well. Four of the eleven look like the would be easy to get running. One has a very straight drop bed on it. Of course, I was wanting a running truck or to build one with parts. He said four of the deuces will run, one has a winch. We were quite a ways apart on pricing though, like around 2,000 dollars.

At any rate, most of these trucks will be much flatter by the weekend. I was hoping to get some parts trucks and share some good fortune with some fellow members, but I had no luck.

I would love to have a couple of these trucks, but not at the quoted prices. Glen

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Heck, tell him you'll give him $50 for the cargo covers. They aren't metal, he'll make no money on them scraping it!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I bet you could make ALOT of guys happy if you could get some of the small items like the drop side screws with the T and some of the chain attached to it. I know 6 guys that would like some spare parts. PM sent!

91W350

He says he is keeping that truck and in the bed of that truck is what appears to be a two cylinder diesel generator that looks new. He would not price that deuce at all, another deuce with no bed, but in good shape otherwise he quoted me 4,000 dollars. I want one to bob, it would have been perfect, but I cannot do that on a truck that may or may not run.

KsM715

I was told by that yard owner he would not part them out, buy the whole truck (at outrageous prices) or nothing at all. Thats was on the already parted out trucks. He told me he was not selling the complete trucks.

jfnemt1ff1

That kind of stuff kills me! There is going to be a time when parts will become hard to find and to just scrap them is a shame. I dont know why you could pull the parts and pay the scrap price.
John

KsM715

I tried, I offered to bring my own tools and do the work my self and he wouldnt do it. I just kept getting "let me think about it and check back, I got a guy that wants to give me$$$ for that part" He just wanted to try to get me to keep upping my offer. I had to walk. I offered him more than double scrap prices on some stuff to start.

91W350

I offered to buy them at crusher price, remove the small hard to find stuff and let him have the rest back to sell. That was a no go as well. It is a sad deal...

91W350

I tried, I offered to bring my own tools and do the work my self and he wouldnt do it. I just kept getting "let me think about it and check back, I got a guy that wants to give me$$$ for that part" He just wanted to try to get me to keep upping my offer. I had to walk. I offered him more than double scrap prices on some stuff to start.
At one time we were talking about a winch truck and another truck, both appeared complete. He said he had a standing offer for 3500 on the one truck, but that guy never came back. He said if I wanted both of them, he would let me take them out of there for 4,000 dollars. I was thinking that might work for two trucks, then it dawned on me that was per truck. He is a tough guy to do business with. Glen

KsM715

I know what you mean. I would have posted up the left over parts if this guy was willing to deal and let me have little parts. I even told him I was part of an internet forum and could probably get rid of a bunch of little stuff for him and he said no. ( and guys I dont mean I was going to buy up all the small stuff to re-sell here.) I wanted some deuce front spring parts for my bob job and he had a spring seat i wanted. I told him I would let others know what he had and he said all or nothing for the trucks. He didnt want to deal with me so I figured I wasnt going to do him any favors either. Sorry if this has upset some here by not getting this place out in the open but I wasnt very happy with the guy.

stumps

Even with top scrap prices, he'll get less than $500/deuce crushed.

He's using the threat of the crusher to increase your anxiety level so that you will offer him more money.

-Chuck

KsM715

I know it. And Im sitting here knowing I have a Job over in Junction City tomorrow and I'll want to go over there and see if I can save anything but I dont want to give him the satisfaction. I might walk in with cash in and with my original offer and tell him last chance to get more than scrap price and see what he does.

motorpoolmedic

Gentlemen, supply and demand. We all chase the parts, we bust our hump for the $. While it sounds good that we wish to save everything from the torch, it is not practical. All things eventually come full circle. Birth, life, death. The same holds true with our toys. How many 426 hemi's were scattered on race day?
Everyone wants to save the trucks, parts, etc... The junkman is no different.
He IS the last line of defense (parts) before the crusher/shredder. His is still a business. Isn't he allowed to make a buck? I am practical in this area. If you want to strip parts off trucks-there has to be an agreed upon price. if not WALK AWAY. DO NOT INSULT YOURSELF OR THE JUNKMAN! Timing and price is everything (or was) in this game up until LEVY-LATHAM started (GL). This is not my first rodeo. I have been 32 years in surplus, EVERYONE wants something for (little as) nothing. Buy low sell high, flip fast and on to the next auction.
Things are different now. The web puts it all in front of us. But at what price?
Two years ago iron was 300 a ton around here, MANY items went down range; running and non running. That made a deuce worth 1800+ and 5T around 2500+ on the hoof. Life's cold hard facts.
So, how valuable are the parts to you? Enough to cost your marriage, for warehousing all rescued items that others pick at will from, and want you to give to them because they need it, but can't afford it-or better yet: steal it from you and your family while they Know your at your kids state tourney?
We all save what we can and end up paring down at some point.
I hope I have brought back a little perspective on this issue.

Stan Leschert

Any goof with $$ can by an MV or 20. It takes only 1 good person to apprecaite them and get them going again. He who got the original GL bid makes the rules! The rest of us will have to do what we can, and, Yes, I know that we can. A better budget might be good, but my wife can't pick winning lottery tickets worth a dang!

KsM715

Motorpool, I understand what your saying and yes I agree its his business and he has every right to make a buck. But...
He has a sheet on his desk with the parts I looked at and a price (way, way more than what he will get from the crusher) and my phone#. If he was a business man he would have called me and taken my offer as a last resort before crushing them.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy up here, dealer, bought a yard full of Deuces directly from the government auction. Because the military prevented them from ever getting registered for road use again, he is now breaking up and then scrapping about 10 deuces a month.
Sad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks