• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Junction City Ks Crusher

Viper350

No matter where you go, scrap dealers are the same, their stuff is GOLD, I will not deal with them.
I'll have to disagree. I'm work at a scrap yard and we try to part out every thing that we can before we scrap any of our stuff. We haven't got any MVs in a long time but alot of older car and truck parts are also getting hard to find. I'm not saying that some don't try to milk every penny, I'm just saying that not all of us do.

combat32

Sounds like the owner is more of a collector(Fred Sanford) instead of a seller.I have dealt with this kind before.Sometimes if you keep working it you can have success, sometimes not.

If I lived close I would stop by once a week and try to wear him down, but that's just me.Don't try to understand his methods just try to work around them, there is no spoon!

Chances are once he sells you one part the door will open, or he may chase you off with a shotgun!It all depends on how bad you want it I suppose

KsM715

The one 1009 was sitting out front and I thought it was one of his workers or relatives truck so I never even asked about it.

Sitting out front as in where customers usually park. it wasnt with the scrap stuf

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A few years ago big scrap dealer near me sold out to a bigger scrap outfit from up North.
The seller had been buying out of Anniston Army Depot for years and had a yard full of good MV's, engines in cans, and NOS parts piled over several acres.
The buyer brought in a shredder and sent everything through it. I had made an offer on the whole lot and they were not interested.

Some people just can't be reasoned with and will cut off their nose to spite their face.

91W350

I did manage to buy a M1009 wheel for ten dollars, I thought that was cheap. He does have that nice looking, but fairly rusty M1009. I tried to talk to him about the rest of the M1009s and he said he decided not to crush those, he want parts for the one he drives. I am betting when the crusher gets back there, those will go too.

He has some interesting stuff, as most of these places do. I was trying to figure out what an item was as it went into the metal monster. It had commercial style air brake axles and close together in a set of three axles. The spring leaves were thick and about 3" wide and very sharly arched. The spring packs were only three leaves thick. It was manufactured by Webb Trailers. I am not sure I ever saw anything quite like it. The remains of it are now sandwiched between a couple of full sized GM cars.

I had planned to go back and see him today, but work tied me down. If I can get free tomorrow, I will go for a rerun. I need a dash pad for one of my M1009s and he had a couple. Glen

motorpoolmedic

KsM715, the guy you dealt with (or tried to) appearently didn't need the cash.
I've been told that "Oh, someday I'm going to rebuild that" and "We got plans for that...". YEARS later the same items are right where they were when I tried to buy them. Everyone in this and every-other hobby tries to buy as low as possible, utilize what we can from that purchase and sell the remainder of the item. Hopefully selling at a profit, as to perpetuate the hobby. Everyone does this, just to verying degrees. I have given parts to veterans who would work on trucks/jeeps for the VFW or Legion posts. Its the right thing to do. Without them, I would not be able to enjoy what I have today. I got into this hobby by helping with my mechaical skills. It was a positive experience. I bought trucks just to keep them from getting sliced with the torch. The experience we have with the undertaker is the only one we can't control. Everyone else, we can. I try to treat people how I want to be treated. If I make a deal with Ray for an item, and Bill offers me a better deal to sell to him; I thank Bill for the offer and shake his hand, telling him I have PROMISED the item to Ray.
On the flip side: I expect Ray to perform his end of the agreed-upon deal.
Sometimes that doesn't always happen. When that occurs I let others I trade with know what they can expect when they may deal with him.
This hobby of ours is many things to many people. The more positive we can be with ourselves and our equipment and our bartering, the least resistance
we will have in most situations. Inviting someone into your hobby is the best way I know how to make it grow, If it's a positive experience.

stumps

A few years ago big scrap dealer near me sold out to a bigger scrap outfit from up North.
The seller had been buying out of Anniston Army Depot for years and had a yard full of good MV's, engines in cans, and NOS parts piled over several acres.
The buyer brought in a shredder and sent everything through it. I had made an offer on the whole lot and they were not interested.

Some people just can't be reasoned with and will cut off their nose to spite their face.
There can be an additional reason. If the scrapper makes sales to individuals, in most areas, he would have to have a sales tax, and trader's license, which he might not need if he is strictly business to business. That simple change could cost him a great deal more than the small potatoes he would get selling to individuals.

-Chuck

KsM715

Well cash speaks when you can hear the crusher running in the background. I went by afterwork today and had my little trailer with me just incase. I did talk him out of the winch I had offered him over $200 for and a few other parts about 2 months ago. He balked at the offer and took my number. Never called back. Today I got it for $120 cash out the door. $100 for the winch and brackets and I said Id give him 20 bucks for the spring seat and other small things I had pulled out. Anyone got the outter frame extensions and the frame bracket that mounts to the drivers side of the winch, the one that bolts to the frame?

Attachments

KsM715

He does have a 5ton parts truck with the winch still on it but he told me the first time he wouldnt take parts off. The stuff I got was loose in the bed. I want to go back tomorrow but I'm afraid of getting run off by a shotgun. (not to mention the dirty look I got from the wife for bringing this stuff home)

combat32

You are good to go! You got him to sell you something, now go clean him out;)

I just told my wife I want to buy a 5 ton bridge truck I found and she agreed, I need to go buy a lottery ticket.

KsM715

If I had a wad of cash I would but I cant convince the wife that I can sell all the excess here and at the very least break even if not make a profit.

He said it might be a week or 2 before the crusher gets to that part of the yard.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scrap is running $200 per ton here right now so that's about $1,200 per deuce.

Most scrap dealers will be willing to bargain on anything over scrap value. Some people you just can't deal with. I have found that the general public not connected with military surplus either think it's not worth much and sell stuff cheap or think they are worth way more than they accually are. There doesn't seem to be any in between.

I'll have to admit scrap prices have been good to me but there is a down side. A pretty good chunk of spare parts and restoreable vehicles of all kinds are gone by way of the crusher.

91W350

He would not come off of 4200 for a deuce with no bed on it. He said it ran perfectly and he was going to put a drop side bed on it. I tried a few times to buy it. To make a long story short, he did not get it marked and it is part of a deuce and 5 ton sandwich now. He said it was his fault, which it was.

I did manage to buy another M1009 wheel and he offered to sell me a M1009 that was not for sale before. I told him I still had one in Salt Lake City to pick up for 1700 dollars, plus the trip out to get it. He said this one would be cheaper than that. He said he parked it last fall, backed it in...now it will not start. It ran perfectly before, he had duals with glass packs put on and claims he spent 400 dollars on the pump. I told him if I bought it, I would be doing it for a parts truck... make me an offer was the last thing he said...

Attachments

91W350

On the way over, we stopped by the VFW in Junction City to let the boys blow off a little steam... I found a wheelbarrow there that I would love to buy.... not sure if it is original, but it is unique. Of course, no trip with Sir along is complete without a little help navigating...

Glen

Attachments

91W350

He does have a 5ton parts truck with the winch still on it but he told me the first time he wouldnt take parts off. The stuff I got was loose in the bed. I want to go back tomorrow but I'm afraid of getting run off by a shotgun. (not to mention the dirty look I got from the wife for bringing this stuff home)
Did you get the winch? If not, it is crushed. It was still there last time I saw the five tons. That is a crime in itself. Glen