• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a frame :( WC51?

66warthog

image.jpgHello. It has been a while since I have been on this site but a recent purchase has brought me here in search of wisdom from those in the know. :)
I bought a rolling frame and saved it from the crusher. I am a welder/fabricator and heavy duty tech. I tend to have visions of what I can turn something into and these combat rims caught my eye. I have an idea for the frame but would like to know what it is. After some research I have deduced that it might very well be a WC51 chassis. Unfortunately a PO not that handy with a welder but pretty good with a torch, tried to mount a Chevy van body on it. Not a huge problem. Steel will melt and join and become one again. Lol
I am getting it home on Friday so I will look for the number on the frame rail but the quick look I took when I bought it did not reveal anything.
I am on my phone and will try to post pics. If it doesn't work ill throw some up when I get to my desk top.

Many thanks for any help.

66warthog

Well I stopped by where the frame is sitting and did some scouring. Lol
Fred, I believe the area you mentioned to look is the same area that has been viciously cut out and modified. I did however find a stamping about the middle of the frame on the same side. It's 1091483. The wheelbase is 94".

Thanks.

Richard

66warthog

Well I stopped by where the frame is sitting and did some scouring. Lol
Fred, I believe the area you mentioned to look is the same area that has been viciously cut out and modified. I did however find a stamping about the middle of the frame on the same side. It's 1091483. The wheelbase is 94".

Thanks.

Richard

fredmills

Richard I may not be able to give you much more on that. I looked in my TM for the 3/4 ton and the 1 1/2 ton Dodge and the shortest Wheel Base there is 98 " I also couldn't find info on that number Sorry

66warthog

It is a big stack. The overloads were taken off and sitting on top of the frame right now as well. It does have the 9 5/8" front and rear differential assembly.
I am sure it is an early flat fender power wagon chassis from the the cross members, fuel tank location etc. just not sure of the model.
Here's some more pics. I found a thread on here that showed the typical frame stamping location and after scraping I found nothing in that area.
The wheel base did throw me off after researching.

Attachments

66warthog

I don't think I have much choice but to go custom. Lol
Bought a divorced rs drop np205 to use. Still would be nice to know what it was originally. I suppose it will remain a mystery.
Plan is to stretch and widen a cj2a tub. I really like the wc's front ends. They look like they mean business more than the jeeps. I have to do some drawings and see what it would look like with that front clip. Like anything I want it to look like something that was meant to be not a jumble of parts thrown together that should never have even been in the same shop together. Lol

fredmills

Roy is right about the 205 being a good choice, and pair it up with a transmission from an M37 if you can find one. should bolt right up to a 230 flat head.

66warthog

The thing is I have two boys 8 and 10 plus my wife so I need something that we all can ride safely in. I really like to drive anything I build as much as I can. A buddy has a 24 valve cummins he wants to sell. At this point it's all ideas rolling around in my head. Once I get it home on Friday ill take some measurements and start some sketches. Ill be sure to share them for input.
I will document my project. Is it ok to carry on in this thread when I start or should I put it somewhere else?

fredmills

Richard the 5.9 Cummins is something I toyed with and found it to be physically to big. I think more on the lines of a 4BT would fit better, and is of the same series of Cummins

66warthog

Yes I know that they are quite long. We have some aircraft heaters that run the 4bt as well as bag tractors. Quite familiar with the ins and outs of them.

On another note can anyone point me to a good thread on tire sizes and these 16" combat rims? Or does anyone know if 11.00r16s will fit width wise on them?

Thanks.

snowdad

The number on the left frame rail is the frame part number. Those extra thick leaves makes one think a WC-64KD but the frame/wheelbase is too short by 20 plus inches. Another possibility is the WC-55 AT truck otherwise known as a GMC-Gun Motor Carriage. They had reinforced rear suspensions among other things to support the weight of the 37mm AT gun and armor. The frame is so heavily modified, it is hard to tell anything else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks