• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just boguht my first deuce, what can you tell me about it?

I dunno im a truck driver, all of my trucks whistle, i just assumed the whistler was a more distinct whistler. its not quiet, but most in videos ive watched seemed louder. i thought the only way to tell was if it was a 1C motor.

The knob on top of the ebrake lever or the adjuster under the truck by the drum?

deuceaid

Banned
You can also tighten down the cable under the truck ( off the back of the tee case) in addition to the parking brake handle if its too loose. And from time to time You will need "soldier B " to help You, because some things are just too big for one person to do safely or at all. Also I would get cable operated air tank drains if it doesnt have them, and drain the air tanks all the time.

Where are the air tanks? I glanced around when i was under it but forgot to search for them.

I did notice there was a hissing when the truck was shut off for a few minutes then a realse of air and it stopped. it would repeat when cycling the accessory switch. Is this an automatic moisture drain of some sort as on new trucks?

dikwks

Like everybody said, get your manuals, do your checks, be safe. But hold on Dude, it's gonna be a helluva lot of fun!!:beer: Congratulations, and my sympathies, both at the same time.

derby

The hissing you here is the air regulator on the firewall.
There are two turbos used on the LDS like the LDT one is loud and the other is not as loud. The owner knocked cash off for selling you a truck with an LDS? Do You feel Guilty.......:-o

I guess maybe it is loud? I am not sure. The owner said he didnt know much about it, i didnt know much other than it didnt match the engine codes i was looking for as a whistler. I didnt know, he didnt know. i thought it might be the problematic continental engine but i wasnt sure. Neither of us knew haha. i still paid plenty for it, and the hard top is held on with a pipe wrench in the front for now. What clamps held on the origional removable hard tops? I couldnt find anywhere anything would have mounted to hold it. I will just make some.

Jeepjake

dikwks is right, I got mine almost a year ago. I had a perma-grin on the 200 mile recovery. This is the most precious thing I own, I love this truck. Huge, amazingly useful for hauling all sorts of whatever you got! (as long as you have patience, they aint fast! :D )

I swapped my D turbo out for a C turbo on my LDT (Im sick like that) love the scream, hearing protection required!!!!!

JeepJake

Last edited:
Oh i see the difference, i will have to check it out when i pick it up, i wouldnt say the turbo was annoyingly loud or anything although i have a 5" straight pipe exhaust on my duramax. still straight pipe powerstrokes are much much louder than duramaxs though.

I have read something about needing a pyrometer when this engine is swapped with the old air box? Is that true? I will be doing reaerch all week, i am just trying to power pack some knowledge from you guys before i pick it up. I really appreciate all the replaies.

Thanks guys!

Heavysteven

I have made some video's on YouTube going over some parts of the deuce. Here is one.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ-vkMESHXg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Jeepjake

Oh i see the difference, i will have to check it out when i pick it up, i wouldnt say the turbo was annoyingly loud or anything although i have a 5" straight pipe exhaust on my duramax. still straight pipe powerstrokes are much much louder than duramaxs though.

I have read something about needing a pyrometer when this engine is swapped with the old air box? Is that true? I will be doing reaerch all week, i am just trying to power pack some knowledge from you guys before i pick it up. I really appreciate all the replaies.

Thanks guys!

Im a noob myself, I may have misguided you, the two turbos shown in my previous post are installed in an LDT-465, I am unfamiliar with the LDS installations.
-jeep

Vintage iron

I have a complete heater for your truck with controls and ducts too. $250. +shipping. PM me if you are thinking of adding one. I can put a more powerful engine in your truck too. good luck with your truck

charlietango

congrats man, keep the TM as your new bible.. things come up, don't get discouraged when they do. Some jobs are better left to HD truck repair shops with specialty tools. It helps to pre-determine what sections of the TM they might need to help with the process and print them out. These trucks shake, leak, grunt and love it. If its not leaking there might be something wrong :shock: . Just be realistic basically is what I'm getting at. these are old dogs and parts wear out or are already worn.

Yeah there were no bolts on the windsheild and the windhseild folds forward. i would agree it must have been a soft top. its bolted behind the seats. I will just add some nice latches to make the top easily removable then. i didnt buy it to be orgional or anything, im going to use it and have fun in it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks