• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just did the Doghead conversion… but

roveroverme

Banned
The truck was running before. I got a New Napa relay and wired it like in the conversion thread.
When I reconnect the battery and turn to start the truck all it does is that the lights go dim. the relay clicks , the voltage on the voltmeter drops to yellow.
no turning over of the starter. When I release the key the voltage comes back on. I can hear the relay click. There is voltage going in.
Can I jump the relay from one fat 24v post to the other on the relay? and when I do that shouldn't it turn the starter?

roveroverme

Banned
I unbolted the starter and I put voltage on the plus of the starter and it turns , and it clicks when I put voltage to the starter solenoid.
So I assume the starter is working. The solenoid on the firewall… does it have anything to do with the starter?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solenoid on the firewall is only for the glow circuit. Any chance of getting a pic of the mod so we can see what you did?

tmbrown08

Yes Jumping the red Wire to the Solid Purple Wire will Supply 24v to the Starter Solenoid. If the solenoid is working the starter should turn over.

roveroverme

Banned
I was trying to find some info on what fusible link I fin where and how to test them in the TM , also something about what wires are connected to the jumper panels on the firewall.
I don't know, but the TM really frustrates the heck out of me. I don't ever know what to find in which TM and where. :-/

roveroverme

Banned
I found this piece of metal that was sort of kinda connected to the engine block. where was the other side connected to?
I may have a found problem here??? The piece is 4" long so it can't connect too far.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever had this truck running since you got it? You have so many threads I have lost track of where we are at in the project.

roveroverme

Banned
Have you ever had this truck running since you got it? You have so many threads I have lost track of where we are at in the project.
Any idea where the other side of this ground strap went to? I assume it's a ground strap… melted off at the sides
Yes, she ran just before I changed the starter relay. Ran like a charm actually...

Yeah… I admit I'm kind of omni-present on this forum

Last edited:

roveroverme

Banned
So I replaced that strap. -didn't help
I took out the starter disassembled it cleaned - didn't help

When I turn the Key the lights go out, it clicks , voltage drops, like there is a short or a ground problem
I am getting really frustrated with this, since the truck ran before this :(
Doghead , can you give me a hint what it could be?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this piece of metal that was sort of kinda connected to the engine block. where was the other side connected to?
I may have a found problem here??? The piece is 4" long so it can't connect too far.
My first thought is that it is the noise suppressor that goes between the 24v Positive terminal block and the the Negative terminal block behind the rear battery.
If it is then it is not needed unless you are running the military radios. But I could be wrong. 4" makes it too long.

What type of material is it? Is it braided wire? Is that a rubber covering? Is it flat?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first thought is that it is the noise suppressor that goes between the 24v Positive terminal block and the the Negative terminal block behind the rear battery.
If it is then it is not needed unless you are running the military radios. But I could be wrong. 4" might make it too long.

capacitor2.jpgcapasitor.jpg

What type of material is it? Is it braided wire? Is that a rubber covering? Is it flat?

What is the part number for the relay? Just like anything, sometimes parts are bad from the factory.

Nice job on your wiring connections. You did a great job on the shrink tubing. Also from your description it is wired correctly.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Question? If these factory relays are so bad. Why did they last the entire 30 year stay in the military and only require replacement now? And wouldn't putting a maxi fuse in line with the hot wire complete the same results if and when you were concerned that the relay would fail? Just a question? The replacement relays are only $12.99 and are warranted for life. This is only a question. As I never cut one of these harnesses. I have replaced the relays after they were cranked dead or with low voltage. Remember before the hate mail this is only a question.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question? If these factory relays are so bad. Why did they last the entire 30 year stay in the military and only require replacement now?
Please do not take this as argumentative.

I know that I have had a couple of the stock relays fail in this manner. Along with many other people. A fellow member posted this picture. I guess you are just a lucky son of a gun to have never had a failure. Yes there are thousands of the originals out there and a few failures. Maybe it is like the current GM ignition switches. Not all of them have failed.

Also there are many ways to "fix" the issue. The DH Relay modification is just one way.

relay.jpg

Last edited:

roveroverme

Banned
If the Relay is bad, shouldn't it start when I bypass the two large posts?
I just took this piece out that was between the two posts and was going to ask what it is.
So that isn't a fusible link or so? just a noise surpressor? I'll put it back then

piece.jpg

roveroverme

Banned
My relay had a resistor (?) inside what had one connector melted and it was bent upward. Not sure if that could have caused an issue. But it's a 30 year old part.
And a new one is fairly cheap. I have a photo here of what mine looks like (sorry for the dirty fingernails)
starter relay.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks