• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a M38A1!

jime

Had a CJ-7 years ago and loved it. Been wanting a M38A1 for a while now. Just picked up this one. Still 24V. Looks like new fenders and maybe hood. Lots of other new stuff on it. Tub has some new steel welded in. It still needs a lot of work. I think I'll drive it this summer then maybe pull the tub.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is one nice M38A1!!!! Looks like an older restoration. Has all the original hard to find parts in place.

jime

Its one of those that looks good at a distance and in pics! As you said, its still got a lot of the hard to find parts. I'm still trying to get the known history on it from the previous owner.

jime

Does the Military Turn Signal kit thats installed working and congrats nice find. Scott O&O
Turn signals work! Did the military add turn signals? Cool thing is, all the electrical works. The harness looks new. Things don't look like they were installed perfectly, zip ties and such. Front black out isn't installed, but I've got it in a parts box. It's missing the plug on the pass side.

I just received the receipts from the previous owner. Looks like he spent about $4200 on parts! From what he said it was owned by a mechanic that serviced jeeps for a reserve unit bck in the day. It had been sitting in a field for a while before the previous owner bought it and started working on it.

jeeplvr247

:drool: If you are looking for any last minute donations to claim on your taxes, I know of a needy college student looking for an a1. Great looking jeep!

wilfreeman

Nice find! Like the others said, it has (what looks like) all the original parts - that's the most important thing, because they can add up QUICK!

I like the older style turn signal system - more original than what I have. And yes, if the vehicle was still in service in the late 60s on, they did add turn signals. They had the style that you have (Spartan, I think), and then there is the solid state like you see on most newer 70s and newer vehicles. I went with the solid state because of parts availability (price). It looks like you have one of the newer solid state voltage regulators also.

The new wiring is a great deal, because like you said - everything works! They slave cable plug on the passenger's side was optional, but they come up on ePay sometimes.

Like Rod said - "don't tear into it, enjoy it for the summer"! Since the previous owner spent so much money on it, more than likely he did a complete rebuild. It looks like it has the original floors, new harness, all parts, new tires, etc, etc. I believe I would just do a rolling resto on that one. A little body work and new markings, and let her roll!

The M38a1 site doesn't get updated anymore - I think the last time was Dec. 2010. You can get most of the info you need at Willy's Military Jeeps . Wes has a database, but most members don't bother submitting their vehicle info, so it is incomplete. But by reading some of the posts you can get most of the info that you need about your baby. What year is it? What is the SN on the plate behind the passenger seat and is it the same as the data plate and title? Perhaps I can give some direction on a possible hood #.

And once again - Nice Find!

jime

:drool: If you are looking for any last minute donations to claim on your taxes, I know of a needy college student looking for an a1. Great looking jeep!
jeeplver247: My last college student graduates next month! How do you think I can justify buying this thing!

Anyway, I kinda have you to blame on this. I was watching your threads on looking at the M38a1s that have been 'civied' (the one in Barberton OH, and another one). A local guy had a solid M38a1 converted to 12v, painted civy, but still had a lot of orginal hardware. FORTUNATLY we could not come together on a price. I found the one I bought that evening FOR LESS than the local one!

jeeplvr247

I am glad to know I had some influence. It's a good thing that you didnt get that red one, your is much much nicer. Hopefully I will be putting one in my driveway soon, I just finished my MCAT so not it is time to switch back from studying to searching for a jeep.

wilfreeman

Hey jime,

There are 2 'a1s in the database that are fairly close, but both have unknown hood numbers. One is MD49483 - delivery date unknown. The other is MD50609 - delivery date July '53. Since the hood number is unknown on yours, and we don't have any close ones to go by, there is an acceptable method to go by in fabricating your own.

The prefix (ie: the first 3 numbers) for your delivery date should be 209. From there, add the last 5 digits of your serial #. That way there won't be any duplicate hood #s out there, and the next person will know where the #s came from plus, it looks right.

Therefore, your hood # would be 20949908. Mine is a mid '54 model, so its prefix is 2010 - my hood # would be 9 digits because of this 201074431.

Amer-team

Nice looking jeep. You have a great starter vehicle there.
Mine is a 1953. Serial number 68014. Hood number is 20997729. This is an original unrestored vehicle. The letters are applied with the vinyl markings of the Vietnam era.

Attachments

wilfreeman

Your welcome jime - sometimes I can help with a little info.

Amer-team,
Now that's the type of original info we need in the database from everybody. Even with lots and lots of "close" numbers though, making up a number will only cause problems for someone else later on - that's why everyone needs to use the "preferred method" if they don't have their original numbers.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks