• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just inherited a m35a2 and need some assistance.

RRick

I have it running finely. I've did a pm on it cleaned fuel tank and pump. Runs fine at idol and without a load but under load has no power and dose not smoke at all.has a c pump on it. So need some help

Last edited by a moderator:

quickfarms

Pm is to change all fluids and filters. This is what I do before starting a truck that is new to me.

One thing to look on these trucks is the brakes. They are a single circuit system.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :-D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

From whom did you inherit your Deuce? Did they run it regularly? When was the last time it was run before you started your tinkering? Was it well maintained before you took possession and just sitting, or was it downright neglected? Do you have photos?
nopics
Congratulations on getting the "gem of the estate". Sorry that one of your loved ones had to pass for you to get an MV. Consider it a Godsend.

Keep us posted on your progress please.

John

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky, real good group a guys w/ the Kilroy chapter of the MVPA in New Albany, IN. Find the service manuals (TMs) for the truck, have fun.
JC

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Once you get past the filters and fuel delivery test diagnosis, there is the turbo boost to check and the injection pump metering to sus out.

Cheers,

Rick

Funny how that document recommends using the brakes and downshifting when descending a hill, but when the topic came up here, everyone said engine braking was specifically not recommended in the documentation.
Need to read it again. It says "But, puh-leeze, no downshifting to slow down for a stop" page 14 last chapter

daytonatrbo

Need to read it again. It says "But, puh-leeze, no downshifting to slow down for a stop" page 14 last chapter
Yeah, and right above that it states "Team up brakes and downshifting".

The last time it came up I mentioned that I used the engine to help control speed when going down long grades, and was told I was doing it wrong. Thats EXACTLY what is described on pgs 13 & 14.

KRedd

When I was working in Kitzingen Germany, a unit had a M900 series 5ton that idled smoothly but when it was road tested it had no power. The engine ran smooth, no bouncing around like other diesel motors. Anyway it turned out that the rings were worn to the point where it ran smooth but the rings would let the pressure bleed through. Maybe this helps. Good Luck!

rustystud

Yeah, and right above that it states "Team up brakes and downshifting".

The last time it came up I mentioned that I used the engine to help control speed when going down long grades, and was told I was doing it wrong. Thats EXACTLY what is described on pgs 13 & 14.

No, your doing it right. You always use engine compression to help slow down a truck. You just must be "very" careful when doing this in a Deuce with a multifuel engine as it CANNOT be over revved ! Always watch your Tach when using engine compression to slow down. Some here don't like to take the chance of over revving the engine and only use the brakes to slow down. In my opinion both ways are OK as long as your careful !

ageregunner

No, your doing it right. You always use engine compression to help slow down a truck. You just must be "very" careful when doing this in a Deuce with a multifuel engine as it CANNOT be over revved ! Always watch your Tach when using engine compression to slow down. Some here don't like to take the chance of over revving the engine and only use the brakes to slow down. In my opinion both ways are OK as long as your careful !
Rusty, what do you consider to be over revving? I am somewhat new to driving the deuce, and always downshift and take advantage of engine compression braking.

daytonatrbo

I take the redline very seriously. I find that keeping the engine around 1800RPM gives adequate engine braking without risk to the engine. I also use the service brakes to maintain speed to ensure the revs don't creep up on me.

I live in a mountainous area with lots of "switch backs" and there's really no opportunity for the truck to build a lot of speed. On the mild grades, I find the engine braking to be adequate for holding a speed, but brakes are required to actually slow down. On the more severe grades, a combination is required.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As said, check filters and so forth first. After doing that, my M35A2 would still not get out of it's own way. I found that the military had turned the fuel injection down significantly. I installed a pyrometer and boost gauge (very important to prevent melting pistons!) Then I turned up the fuel following the instructions on this site. I limited my exhaust temps to just 1050 degrees, when pulling a long hill, with a full load. Now I have a great running truck. Good Luck with your machine. By the way, I also installed a remote, transparent, brake reservoir in the cab corner to the rear of the drivers door. It gives you a clean way to add brake fluid and you can see your level overtime you climb into the cab!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks