• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased 1991 Humvee M998

KansasBobcat

Page E-4 of -10: Decal, identification, star...Army only except for CONUS vehicles andM996,M996A1, M997, M997A1, M1035,M1035A1. Shows star on front center hood and tailgate.

hummer4x4guy

I turned my 4 door soft top into a 2 man troop carrier and will never go back. Better visability all around and better load hauling ability. With the troop seats you can fit a lot of ppl in the back or do the old blue tarp and fill it with water instant pool. A "converted" truck to a slant back to a person who knows what they are looking at will be able to tell it was not original. So I 2nd the opinion to leave it as is or give yourself a few years to try it as is and see how much a slant back kit will cost.. those also leak in the roof area a lot from what I am told.

dalatman

Finally got the truck! But I need these parts if anyone has it let me know:
- Floor mats for the whole cabin 2man truck
- Antenna (mount base, screws , antenna...)
- Red Dot AC unit
- Ignition modification with key! Right now anyong could steal the truck in a heart beat!

DP

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on finally getting the truck.

you need to start a want ad for your parts. Asking for parts is not allowed in the open corums.

dalatman

I turned my 4 door soft top into a 2 man troop carrier and will never go back. Better visability all around and better load hauling ability. With the troop seats you can fit a lot of ppl in the back or do the old blue tarp and fill it with water instant pool. A "converted" truck to a slant back to a person who knows what they are looking at will be able to tell it was not original. So I 2nd the opinion to leave it as is or give yourself a few years to try it as is and see how much a slant back kit will cost.. those also leak in the roof area a lot from what I am told.
Hi

I saw your 2man truck and I like it! I am gonna leave it at it and put a new soft top plus 2 doors into it . THe back I am gonna use it as regular bed for ppl or materials! Do you get a chance to convert the ignition switch to a key to avoid stolen!? Also you had it originally hard top 2man or you convert it from soft top?

Thanks

D..

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You go to the Parts Wanted forum in the classifieds and start a new thread.

hummer4x4guy

I'm not too worried about it getting stolen. I just removed the screw from the start lever and remove it and lock the steering wheel. Ppl generally steel a vehicle for a joynride (rare) or to strip it down to parts and resell. There isn't much of a market for that. My truck did originally come with a cat key but even then the wires could easily be jumped. I prefer to keep it as original as possible myself. 14 years and nobody has stolen it yet.
It was a soft top 4 door when I bought it.

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

As far as theft I like the ground cut off that those Military Guys advertise here. When on display this keeps the kids from frying your glow plugs and actually starting your HMMWV! They are amazingly smart when it comes such things. Money well spent!

dangood

If the 3 spd transmission comes out for any reason, its always tempting to throw in a 4speed. Mpg increase to 15. Heck of a better ride on the freeway. All our Humvees are titled for Highway. Sounds like the off-road-only problems are sucky for a lot of people and that's a shame and a half that so many people cant drive their new expensive atv on the roads.

Breckbordr

I would normally just keep filling with tranny fluid. I'm not sure if you are still dealing with a transmission leak, but you may want to read this article about the "transfer case vampire" . The design of this motor and transmission has an inherent flaw. There is essentially a pipe "loop" in the transfer case that pumps transmission fluid through it (not in it) and then back into the transmission. The problem comes when that little pipe or "loop" gets a stress crack, so the transmission fluid is basically pumped out of the tranny and dumped into the transfer case. You will think the transmission has plenty of fluid, when in reality it is being pumped dry into the transfer case destroying all components. Probably worth a read just to make sure.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/features/Tcase/Vampire/vampire.htm