• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased my 2nd MV...M38A1

Maverick1701

Well big news on the project front.
I scored a parts 1954 M38A1 off craigslist. It looks mostly complete from the pictures which is super exciting. I am hoping that having access to all the various parts including those small bits/pieces will save me some money in the long run vs having to buy new replacement units.

I am going to pick it up tomorrow (10/1). Pictures will be posted ASAP because as we all know...pics or it didn't happen!!

Here are two teaser pictures from the craigslist ad.

Maverick1701

So I got the new rig home and wow... the idiom "a fool and his money are soon parted" holds true.
I should have walked away from the deal but I had Jeep on the brain. I am so angry with myself for not seeing it for what it was.

As I ran through town, I stopped by the coin-op car wash place for a good cleaning and vacuuming (I wanted to see what I had before totally kicking myself). Unfortunately I was not impressed by what I saw. This thing is really far gone (and to top it off, most of the parts I needed were already gone hahaha) I doubt I can even part it out for what I paid for it. I am hoping to flip it on craigslist in hopes I can get back at least what I have in it....but I have a sinking feeling that this will be a net loss for me.

What are y'alls thoughts? Should I attempt a part-out? At this point I am leaning towards the "sell & walk away" plan.

Another Ahab

As I ran through town, I stopped by the coin-op car wash place for a good cleaning and vacuuming (I wanted to see what I had before totally kicking myself). Unfortunately I was not impressed by what I saw. This thing is really far gone (and to top it off, most of the parts I needed were already gone hahaha) I doubt I can even part it out for what I paid for it. I am hoping to flip it on craigslist in hopes I can get back at least what I have in it....but I have a sinking feeling that this will be a net loss for me.
I know a little about net loss.

It's no fun.

But rest assured it is survivable. ("What doesn't kill you makes you strong". - Nietzsche)

KansasBobcat

Most of us have done this to some extent. Don't feel too badly...life goes on. When I lose money on a new hobby I consider it the price of admission. Do not ask what I have invested in my CUCVs!

Another Ahab

Most of us have done this to some extent. Don't feel too badly...life goes on. When I lose money on a new hobby I consider it the price of admission. Do not ask what I have invested in my CUCVs!
My grandfather-in-law who was a VERY successful excavating contractor in Chattanooga, referred to all his contract busts as his "graduate school tuition". I always liked that. :)

Maverick1701

Thanks for the replies guys.
I felt (and still feel) pretty stupid after my earlier poor decision. I am glad to hear that I am not the only person on this boat hahaha.

Bravo2Uniform

Thanks for the inspirational post! I just bought a '53 M38A1 and have begun the tear down process. Actually it's more of a tear down, investigate, call Kaiser Willys for more parts. The guys at Kaiser Willys will have a great Christmas! This is so relaxing. I am on a steep but enjoyable learning curve. When I get a little more done I am going to post some pictures in my own thread.

I have been tracking my costs and I am well beyond what I could sell her for. However, I am doing this for fun and therapy. My Dad had an M38A1 when he was in the Marine Corps and he died a few months ago. I work on this and fondly remember him and it's therapy for my loss. I do care about spending money, but the enjoyment I am getting is far, far, far worth more than the cost overruns.

Again, thanks for the inspirational post.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I have been tracking my costs and I am well beyond what I could sell her for. However, I am doing this for fun and therapy. My Dad had an M38A1 when he was in the Marine Corps and he died a few months ago. I work on this and fondly remember him and it's therapy for my loss. I do care about spending money, but the enjoyment I am getting is far, far, far worth more than the cost overruns.
It IS a capitalist culture we thrive in here in the good old U.S.A., but that doesn't mean that everything of value can only be measured in dollars.

I am sorry for your loss of your Dad, but I salute you and your project for him here. I sure hope it proves to be everything you want it to be, and more. [thumbzup]

(PS my lazy bone is hoping you post the link to your build here so I don't have to go to new posts to subscribe, man I'm lazy, right!?)

Maverick1701

I have been tracking my costs and I am well beyond what I could sell her for.

On my project jeep (not the jeep I bought for parts) I am in the same boat...but like you, I don't mind throwing money at it. I am enjoying working/tinkering on a piece of history. It is not about the money..it is about the journey/build.
I can't wait to see pictures of your rig.

Maverick1701

Two days ago I started bringing some fuel cans back to life. I am using the "vinegar bath" method to remove the external rust.
I removed the first can today after 48hrs in the vinegar. The rust washed away with water. I hit it w/a wire wheel to remove any other loose paint, etc. I just laid down a light layer of self etching primer about 10min ago. I'll do a nice thick layer and then begin w/the paint. I'll post pictures when the first can is complete.

Maverick1701

Here are some pictures of what I have now. The thick layer of primer is currently drying. I'll give it an hour or so and then apply the first layer of paint. I am using Rustoleum grey primer and will be using Rustoleum red semi-gloss for the final coat.

#1 & #2: the fuel can when I started

#3: after first light coat of primer

#4: after the final thick coat of primer.

WP_20170205_16_47_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20170205_16_47_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20170207_20_26_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20170207_20_30_00_Pro.jpg

Maverick1701

Well here is the 1st finished product. My goal was so have a functional fuel can (with no rust) and if it ended up looking good in the process...then great...but looking fabulous wasn't a requirement. So purely function over form. The first can turned out well. It's obviously not show quality due to the pitting on the steel and a few other things but for my goals (a can that holds fuel and doesn't rust) I am calling this a win.I did the "cap" in a flat black rustoleum enamel because 1. I dig the 2-tone look and 2. it was the only other paint I had in my garage.I also picked up two new cap seals off eBay. They arrived yesterday. Now I'm ready to carry fuel. Let me know if y'all have any questions.

WP_20170208_11_03_58_Pro.jpgWP_20170208_11_03_47_Pro.jpg

Maverick1701

Things on the jeep are going to start moving along fairly quickly. I decided to pull $2-3K from my savings to get the jeep back on the road. My goal is to have everything done before I leave for the TX DPS academy in May.

I sat down & made two lists. One list was "essential things the jeep needs to get back on the road" and the other is "things I would like to have on the jeep but don't actually need".

Over the last two days I ordered everything on the "essential things" list. Those include: replacement steering wheel, horn button repair kit, hard brake line kit (master cylinder, soft lines, and axle end brake parts have already been done), radiator cap, 5 tires, 5 tire tubes, ignition switch (and wires, and dash plate), thermostat kit (housing, t-stat, and gasket), 2nd seat cushion, and replacement wiring harness (my harness is super tired).

the items on my "would be nice to have" list include:throttle/choke cables, carb kit (carb runs well enough to enjoy the jeep but it's not perfect), soft top, exhaust system, shocks front/rear, lockout hubs (Front axle), cargo mat for the cargo area, jerry can bracket spacers, seat pouches, replacement glass.I'll update this thread ASAP as things arrive and get installed.

Maverick1701

Today I finally stopped letting my pinion yoke push me around. I FINALLY got it removed and changed my pinion seal.

The yoke has been fighting me for about 6mo now. I found a puller from HF which would fit through the ujoint bolts. Even then it wouldn't budge with just hand tools. I had to break out the air impact and it STILL fought me the entire way off the splines.

Mission Accomplished though

WP_20170216_16_17_52_Pro.jpg

Maverick1701

I hit my first sang last week
I took my old wheels/tires to the "local" tire shop to have the old tires removed. This was done because my new tires are arriving tomorrow (monday). When the old tires were removed I realized my wheels are actually 8in+ in width. This is a problem because the new tires I just ordered are made for a 4.5in wheel (The stock M38a1 wheel width)

well I decided to just bite the bullet and err on the side of caution.

I am going to return the 15in tires I bought from summit and the tubes I bought from kaiser willys. Once the returns are processed I am going to purchase 16in tires, tubes, and wheels. I figured that since I am going to need to buy wheels I might as well purchase the right size.

Now this leads to another question. The standard M38A1 wheels are fairly inexpensive but I am being tempted by another....

The combat wheels for GPWs are attracting my attention. Specifically the ability to unbolt the two wheel pieces and change tubes on my own w/out having to drive to a tire shop. I should mention that I live out in the boonies and my closest tire shop is 40mi one-way drive from my house. The HUGE con here is price for the wheels & all the extras needed to run combat wheels (wheel flaps, stem protectors, etc).

I am having a tough time deciding if the extra expense is worth the ability to repair tires on my own. What are y'alls thoughts? Has anyone run GPW wheels and just been blown away by how awesome they are? At this point in time I am leaning more towards cost savings and going w/the M38A1 wheels.

Here is a basic breakdown of the costs:
tires & tubes: $744
(I need these either way)

5 M38A1 wheels total 674.60

5 GPW wheels (& extras) total 948.85

Last edited:

wilfreeman

It's your call, but I would go with M38a1 wheels. Although the combat wheels look cool, they weren't used on M38a1s (that I have found or heard of). Also, you will need to run flaps in the M38a1 wheels also. When ordering wheels, make sure you buy the correct ones for your a1. Tigers is a difference between early 50s and 60s models. You might be able to find originals in your area. I just found 3 early style for $60 ea, but they are a 3hr drive. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go get them!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks