• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just put a turbo on my m1028...wow!

Keyser Soze

I just put a 6.5 turbo on my truck, and I am pleased to say it will actually get out of its own way now. Thanks to all who have posted information regarding the turbo swap, it was very helpful. I still have a little fine tuning to do, but this thing is way more responsive. I ran 4" exhaust from the turbo back and put one stack up through the bed. I know stacks are somewhat contoversial, but I am trying to keep mine military looking. I used a black 4" stack off a bulldozer with a straight cut on the top and left it a little below the cab. I will post pictures tomorrow.

sarge1

Sounds really nice. I too am looking at a single exhaust later when my system gets more beaten up and I have a few more dollars in my bank account. I'll probably exit mine out the rear passenger side though since I have a bed cover.

Keyser Soze

I don't have any pics yet, but I will get some tomorrow. It was dark by the time I finished. I still need to mount my boost guage, and my exhaust is hitting somewhere. For those with prior experience, I have a temp probe in my crossover pipe (it was already there) and I have one in the down pipe right after the turbo. I have a two position switch to select which one reads on the guage. Should I move one/ both of them to an alternate location?

Brian H.

Whenever possible, place the Pyrometer probe before the turbo in the manifold, or in the Y-crossover pipe (if a V8 which this is) If placing the probe after the turbo, always place it as close as possible to the outlet of the turbo, and be aware that temperatures will be from 100 degrees to 300 degrees cooler at that location than the actual temperatures produced by the combustion. About 1200-1250 degrees is about as hot as you want to get it Pre Turbo continuously. I would not go above 1000 degrees continuously if I mounted it after the turbo (remember must be close to the outlet as in 2-3 inches max)

armytruck63

Are you planning to put some sort of heat shield on thst stack? You wouldn't want some kid jumping in the bed of the truck and grabbing the stack while it is hot.

BIG_RED

I don't know that much about turbo's with the 6.2L GM diesel.. but do you guys think that these engines can take it? They already have something like 21:1 compression if I remember correctly.. Has anyone got any reliability experience with this set up? Not too be a kill joy.. I think that set up looks Bada$$! I want one like it. That's why I'm asking.

WARWAG

There was a option back in the 80s for a turbo. It was a Banks sidewinder turbo. I saw one a few months ago on a 6.2 mid 80s Suburban that had over 300K! The only thing rebuilt was the transmission (a few times). I didnt buy it since Im looking for a M1008 or M1028. But it sure did work fine for him. I would bolt up a girdle for sure though.

HoookerDub01

I had an 83 with a 6.2L and i put a bolt on Turbo on it. It ran great for the first week then one day the Engine over heated and blow a head gasket and cracked the block. Man was i pi$$ed. aua Oh well more fun in finding a new engine and fixing it.

Chief_919

I don't know that much about turbo's with the 6.2L GM diesel.. but do you guys think that these engines can take it? They already have something like 21:1 compression if I remember correctly.. Has anyone got any reliability experience with this set up? Not too be a kill joy.. I think that set up looks Bada$$! I want one like it. That's why I'm asking.

They can handle it just fine. The 6.5 is just a 6.2 with a slightly larger bore, same compression ratio, and they came factory with turbos for- well from 1993 through today as AM General still makes them.

It is just like any other issue with the 6.2/6.5 family- have some common sense, don't over rev it, and don't try to push Duramax or Cummins power levels from it and it will last a long long time.

Most everyone who claims reliability issues with these engines is dealing with engines that were over reved and abused. That is why folks get 300K out of them in 1/2 ton applications with high gears, but folks in heavy duty applications with low gears get much shorter life, because almost all of them run them at 60-65MPH revving the crap out of the engine.

Last edited:

BIG_RED

So far I'd like to think I've been taking great care of my M1009, and I agree with "take care of it, it'll take care of you". Great thread. Thanks for the replies. I noticed that GM 6.5's generally don't rev as high as the 6.2's. (3200 vs. 3600 RPM) I know how the governor linkage works in the Injector pump. If I found an older 6.5 with mechanical DB2 pump (as opposed to electrical DS4) would it be possible to swap the governor spring thing from the 6.5 pump to my 6.2 so that my 6.2 would not rev past 3200 RPM? I also plan to turn up the fuel if I add a turbo. Does this affect the governed speed? The way I understand it would be that the "fuel screw" should only increase the amount of fuel per pedal movement.. but since Diesel engines are controlled by fuel (no throttle) would this cause my engine to rev past it's factory governed speed (3600 RPM) if floored? (not that I floor it... Just curious because if this were so, it would be a waste of time to swap gov springs).

BIG_RED

I had an 83 with a 6.2L and i put a bolt on Turbo on it. It ran great for the first week then one day the Engine over heated and blow a head gasket and cracked the block. Man was i pi$$ed. aua Oh well more fun in finding a new engine and fixing it.
Do you know how much pressure it was developing? What the EGT's were? Did you drive it hard? Not saying it's your fault - just curious so that I don't make the same mistake.

BIG_RED

There was a option back in the 80s for a turbo. It was a Banks sidewinder turbo. I saw one a few months ago on a 6.2 mid 80s Suburban that had over 300K! The only thing rebuilt was the transmission (a few times). I didnt buy it since Im looking for a M1008 or M1028. But it sure did work fine for him. I would bolt up a girdle for sure though.
I was under the impression that the banks set up was only offered as an aftermarket kit.. not as a factory option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks