• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won the bid on a M35A2C at Tinker

combat32

I drove my first Deuce out of Okie city to my house in Arkansas, called my insurance and they told me I was covered and had a bill of sale in hand.I did get pulled over by an Okie state trooper, and what did he ask? Where can I buy one of these:p and I was on my way.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my first Deuce out of Okie city to my house in Arkansas, called my insurance and they told me I was covered and had a bill of sale in hand.I did get pulled over by an Okie state trooper, and what did he ask? Where can I buy one of these:p and I was on my way.
LOL, I once had a Tx trooper pull me over in my 1976 Trans Am, and all he wanted to do was pop the hood and talk about the engine. After we talked a bit, he said he pulled me over for no front license plate, then said not to worry about it. :grin:

Glad to hear it isn't high on their concern list with the Deuces.

Did you go through the twisties between OK and AK? I have taken my CBR929RR through there a few times and had a blast.

combat32

No, just hammered straight down I 40,I have made the trip twice now with no problems.I see military traffic moving around Oklahoma quite a bit, usually NG units.So you are not gonna stand out that much,good luck with your recovery.

RichardR

Mike,

One other bit of advice I can add about your proposed Oklahoma-to-Texas recovery is to stay on I-35 and other main highways as much as possible. Don't try to "hide" on the back roads trying to avoid traffic and LEOs. You'll be going much slower than other traffic no matter what road you're on, and it's safer for both you and others if you are in the right lane on an Interstate with good sight distance, rather than on a smaller road. I was advised by Texas DPS to go right down I-35, keep speed above 45, and stay in the right lane. You'll get passed by everything on the road, including more big rigs than you ever imagined, but you'll be safe(er) if they can see you plodding along far enough ahead. Good luck with your upcoming adventure.

Richard

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of taking 77 which shadows 35 in the hopes of avoiding some of the faster traffic.

I assume the big rigs know how to drive their trucks, I was more concerned about the cars texting on their cell phones and scratching the back of my truck. :)

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well 9 days later and my EUC is cleared.:shock: That was the shortest 60 day wait I have ever had. I guess first time buyers shouldn't expect a 60 day wait on the EUC. Good thing I was pacing myself on the TMs since I had so much time.:)

I guess I will spend this weekend buying fluids and getting my recover kit pulled together. I think it is a pretty clean truck. It started and ran for the GL when they parked it. No drip pans under the truck either, so hopefully fairly clean deuce. Thought is that I will do the inspection TM and top off all the fluids, if I don't see any issues (leaky brakes, milky oil, etc.) I will go through the TM start up procedure to see if the engine turns over without issue, and if all looks/sounds good, start it up.

Should I buy a set of batteries or do you think I will be able to get a jump if the present batteries are too weak?

Insurance is going to be my biggest rush. I only have one quote from Hagerty, so I need to either take it and change it later or find something quick.

I guess I will be lighting up the search function this holiday.

Anyone know what days Tinker is open? (I believe GL is closed today for the holiday) I need to coordinage with my recovery team (brother and dad) to see if I can drag them out with me. :)

Last edited:

M715VFD405

I agree with taking I-35 all the way I've made the trip from OKC to Bryan/Collage Station a bunch of times. I lived about 2 miles from Tinker in Midwest City takes about 4 hours in a non MV to get to Dallas/Ft. Worth it's a pretty straight shot only one area I would watch out for and that's in the mountains around Paul's Valley area couple good down hills in there. Other then that it's an easy trip. You might try getting a hold of Warthog or one of the other OKC members they might be able to tell you more about getting something out of Tinker if they don't chime in on there own. Great buy and good luck keep us posted on how it goes.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been trying to research oils, etc., and there seems to be a lot of opinions out there. Based on this being on an Airforce base, what fluids do I need to bring to top off what is already in the truck?

What SAE type of oil should I bring for the Transmission, Transfer case, engine, axles? SAE50 Delo for all or Gear oil for the axles and 15-40w for the engine? (I just want to match what is in the truck from the military at this point.)

I will bring distilled water for the batteries and radiator. What type of anti freeze is compatible with the military anti freeze?

Sounds like I need to bring about 5-10 gal. of diesel with a little additive in it for lubrication. No Bio diesel until I get it home and have access to change filters and the like encase the Bio washes crud into them.

Rubbing alcohol for the air compressor intake to help dry out the lines and tank (do I need to pick up a spray bottle for this?)

Sorry for all the questions. I thought I had at least a few weeks to pull this all together, but have been put on the fast track and searching for oil suggestions is not an easy task on this site. :shock:

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No SAE50... it's 80/90 in the tranny, axles, transfer
Here is what I have on my to bring list:

3 jugs of Prestone Antifreeze 50/50 mix (ethylene glycol) - already have

5 gallons of NAPA brand 80/90wt GL-5/MT-1 gear oil (NAPA closed before I could get to their store, something about a holiday that is coming up or something. :)

5 gallons Delo 15w/40 diesel motor oil (API spec codes CJ-4) - already have

1 gallon of Distilled water - already have

2 quarts of DOT 5 (This stuff is $30 a quart which kind of surprised me a bit.)

5-10 gallons of Diesel, looking for some Opti-lube XPD to add to the tank

2 Group 31 Walmart batteries and 4-5 small blocks of 2x4 (about 6-8 long) to jam in the battery box to keep the batteries in place. I will order some adapter trays but don't expect them to be delivered in time.

(Thanks Paul Farber for sending me a quick list of must have items.)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks